Author Topic: L. Hudson interesting stats/my take  (Read 10057 times)

Re: L. Hudson interesting stats/my take
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Hudson is the next MJ, clearly

except more valuable, b/c Hudson plays the most important position (PG).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
His numbers do look promising but at 58th I really have no expectations of our pick. For me it's already a win if he gets further than our last late 2nd round pick.

Whoa, haven't seen ya around much lately, Bree.  Everything goin' all right?

Beyond that, as he so often is, Nick appears on point again.

-sw

Everything's great. Thanks for asking. I hope you're doing great yourself :-)
My twin went to volunteer in Ghana so I tagged along for the change in scenery and to get some time away to work on my dissertation. So I missed most of the playoffs unfortunately or fortunately I guess seeing how it turned out.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hudson is the next MJ, clearly

except more valuable, b/c Hudson plays the most important position (PG).

Will Solomon is rolling in his grave right now...except he's alive
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
I wonder if Spurs fans had this same discussion when Manu Ginobli was drafted with the 57th pick in the draft back in 1999? He turned out pretty good. Not saying Hudson will ever amount to Ginobli status, but crazier things have happened and the possibility remains.

I would be very, very, surprised if anyone had seen Hudson play a single game before, so I think we should all at least wait and see for ourselves how this guy plays, and not rely on stats, or one scouts take. The Summer league isn't too far away. If he does make the team, he won't touch the floor this season.

Cheers.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I wonder if Spurs fans had this same discussion when Manu Ginobli was drafted with the 57th pick in the draft back in 1999? He turned out pretty good. Not saying Hudson will ever amount to Ginobli status, but crazier things have happened and the possibility remains.

I would be very, very, surprised if anyone had seen Hudson play a single game before, so I think we should all at least wait and see for ourselves how this guy plays, and not rely on stats, or one scouts take. The Summer league isn't too far away. If he does make the team, he won't touch the floor this season.

Cheers.

solid point, like when the T'wolves picked up Loukas Mavrokefalidis in 2006 at 57, or Toronto's picking of Uros Slokar at 58 in 2005 - heck Detroit's picking of Andreas Glyniadakis in 2003 at 58 made me say "Who?" and we all know who's having the last laugh now... (obviously theres the occasional guy who pans out from the bottom of a draft, but I bet if you took the last 10 picks since they've gone to 2 rounds, maybe 10% would be in the league more than a year...maybe

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
  he doesn't have many NBA level skills.

This is an absurd comment. He was one of the best defenders of the draft, one of the best shooters in traffic, didn't dip in big games, can score on anyone, etc.

Isn't scoring an NBA skill? I could've sworn that it was.
And yet he wasn't drafted in the Top 10??

Wait!! He's that good and wasn't drafted in the first round!!

Oh my freaking God!! You mean he's got all those NBA skills and is one of the best in the draft and lasted all the way until pick 58???

Yeah...my comment's absurd. Sure it is because we must have obviously just drafted Michael Jordan. Oh wait. We drafted a relative unknown who scored a lot in a weak conference on a bad team because he was probably the only guy on his team that could dribble a basketball and chew gum at the same time.

He scored a lot and rebounded a lot because he was playing with stiffs against stiffs for almost all his career. He's short. He has a body more geared towards being a football player. He's an okay shooter. He doesn't have explosive speed or great lateral movement or exceptional ups. He has a very questionable handle and questionable decision making skills. He isn't the best passer. And he needs a lot of work extending his range, not to mention that he's ball dominant and doesn't really run a very good half court offense.

And that assessment is being nice and straight from a scout in the ACC..

But my comments are absurd.

Did anyone say anything about him being a top 10 talent?

He needs to extend his range? This is ludicrous and shows that you have not seen him play. He has unlimited range and that is with people guarding him.

Also, the scored a lot in the weak conference thing is played out because....he scored a lot against the top teams in the nation.

His body being more geared towards being a football player is a bad thing??? Have you seen Lebron lately? Big Baby? That's one of the worst criticisms out there.

A lot of the times teams know they don't have any room on their roster so they take a flier on a random international player so they will have the rights if they ever turn out good.

It is true that he is a longshot to crack the roster because we are a championship contending team. But this kid will be on an NBA roster next year and that's a great job if you are picking at 58. I'm not the kid's father or anything, but I have seen legitimate game film on him outside of Youtube and I just don't like to see the people hating on his game before they even see him.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:39 AM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500

Cheers.

solid point, like when the T'wolves picked up Loukas Mavrokefalidis in 2006 at 57, or Toronto's picking of Uros Slokar at 58 in 2005 - heck Detroit's picking of Andreas Glyniadakis in 2003 at 58 made me say "Who?" and we all know who's having the last laugh now... (obviously theres the occasional guy who pans out from the bottom of a draft, but I bet if you took the last 10 picks since they've gone to 2 rounds, maybe 10% would be in the league more than a year...maybe

So much unnecessary research, if those are actual players. Anyways, it doesn't take an NBA expert to realize that yes, as you go deeper and deeper into rounds, there becomes less and less talent.

That being said, there are players who go under the radar. Also, Ainge has done fairly well in evaluating talent from the draft.

Again, I don't expect Hudson to be a star, I don't think anybody does, but the point that I did make is that there are times, maybe once every 10 years, that a player pans out who was drafted very late, or not at all.

Your sarcasm is pure comedy gold by the way.
"Hudson is clearly the next MJ." If only I could come up with hilarious one-liners like that.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
  he doesn't have many NBA level skills.

This is an absurd comment. He was one of the best defenders of the draft, one of the best shooters in traffic, didn't dip in big games, can score on anyone, etc.

Isn't scoring an NBA skill? I could've sworn that it was.
And yet he wasn't drafted in the Top 10??

Wait!! He's that good and wasn't drafted in the first round!!

Oh my freaking God!! You mean he's got all those NBA skills and is one of the best in the draft and lasted all the way until pick 58???

Yeah...my comment's absurd. Sure it is because we must have obviously just drafted Michael Jordan. Oh wait. We drafted a relative unknown who scored a lot in a weak conference on a bad team because he was probably the only guy on his team that could dribble a basketball and chew gum at the same time.

He scored a lot and rebounded a lot because he was playing with stiffs against stiffs for almost all his career. He's short. He has a body more geared towards being a football player. He's an okay shooter. He doesn't have explosive speed or great lateral movement or exceptional ups. He has a very questionable handle and questionable decision making skills. He isn't the best passer. And he needs a lot of work extending his range, not to mention that he's ball dominant and doesn't really run a very good half court offense.

And that assessment is being nice and straight from a scout in the ACC..

But my comments are absurd.

Did anyone say anything about him being a top 10 talent?

He needs to extend his range? This is ludicrous and shows that you have not seen him play. He has unlimited range and that is with people guarding him.

Also, the scored a lot in the weak conference thing is played out because....he scored a lot against the top teams in the nation.

His body being more geared towards being a football player is a bad thing??? Have you seen Lebron lately? Big Baby? That's one of the worst criticisms out there.

A lot of the times teams know they don't have any room on their roster so they take a flier on a random international player so they will have the rights if they ever turn out good.

It is true that he is a longshot to crack the roster because we are a championship contending team. But this kid will be on an NBA roster next year and that's a great job if you are picking at 58. I'm not the kid's father or anything, but I have seen legitimate game film on him outside of Youtube and I just don't like to see the people hating on his game before they even see him.
Could have fooled me.

BTW, having a football players body and being a forward or center is one thing.  Having a football player's body and being a PG, who needs speed, endurance, quickness, and lateral movement is a bad thing to NBA scouts. The criticism is justified.

Also, you must only be watching Youtube because his hitting three pointers with people in face are the only things on Youtube. He shot only 35% from the 19ft three point line this year. He would need to extend his range another 4 -6 feet to make that shot in the pros. 35% isn't all that great a percentage and pro scouts don't love when your shooting percentage goes down over the years.

As for the level of competition he played this year. he played three good teams, USC, Tennessee and Auburn. His only good game was against Auburn, the last game of the year when Auburn had everything set in their conference and for the tourney. They cruised and still won. USC and Tennessee destroyed UT-Martin and Hudson had bad games.

Tennessee - 20 Pts, 4 Rebs, 5 Asts, 4 TOs, 7-22 FG, 3-14 3PTFG
USC - 20 pts, 4 Rebs, 2 Asts, 3 TOs, 8-24 FG, 4-14 3PTFG

Not exactly awe inspiring numbers against better competition.

Listen, Danny could have done a lot worse than this pick but the over exuberance for what he is on this site is ridiculous. He's an okay little player with little to no upside, who, if he can't contribute right away, never will. It really is that simple and unfortunately, there are many, many, many people out there who think he won't.

BTW, I have two friends at high positions in the athletic departments at schools in the Big 12 and ACC. I have access to a lot of info on college players most won't. My opinions on college players are from personal watching and long convos with my two very good friends because we are college basketball junkies. Please don't lump me in with the Youtube crowd. It's insulting.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Why is everyone getting in a huff about the 58th pick in the draft? Danny is good with his picks, but let's be honest, is anyone really expecting this guy to do anything for us? Ever? It'll be a pleasant surprise if he sees any minutes at all.

Moving on...

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I agree with you that people are over hyping this pick nick, but you don't think those lines against Tenn and USC are at least decent for a college player from a small school going against top programs?

I saw some of the USC game, and im not sure what else he could have done in that one, they (usc) double and triple teamed him all night, it was no secret the rest of his starting lineup weren't exactly top tier support....

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why is everyone getting in a huff about the 58th pick in the draft? Danny is good with his picks, but let's be honest, is anyone really expecting this guy to do anything for us? Ever? It'll be a pleasant surprise if he sees any minutes at all.

Moving on...
We need something to talk about though.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Moving on...
We need something to talk about though.

we could talk about bunnies, or squirrels, or birds....

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like this post. Highly positive. Let's see what we get!

TP

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Cheers.

So much unnecessary research, if those are actual players. Anyways, it doesn't take an NBA expert to realize that yes, as you go deeper and deeper into rounds, there becomes less and less talent.

That being said, there are players who go under the radar. Also, Ainge has done fairly well in evaluating talent from the draft.

Again, I don't expect Hudson to be a star, I don't think anybody does, but the point that I did make is that there are times, maybe once every 10 years, that a player pans out who was drafted very late, or not at all.

Your sarcasm is pure comedy gold by the way.
"Hudson is clearly the next MJ." If only I could come up with hilarious one-liners like that.

were you being sarcastic about my sarcasm? That could make the earth stop spinning!

also, on unneccesary research, its actually not that hard, check out nbadraft.net's history section and look at second rounds from the last 10 years, it really puts things in perspective how unlikely it is for a guy this low to make it in the league

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I hope you guys are right.  I really have no idea.  From everything I've seen and heard, it looks like this guys could be Eddie House with a little bit worse of a shot, but a better floor game.  That'd be great.  But I don't hold out a lot of hope he'll do much in the next couple year.