Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 18147 times)

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 06:48:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557
This is where we have to have faith in our entire team. We've been fortunate so far and while this sucks, it's not the end of the world. I know we as Cs fans have been mentally scarred by injuries robbing us of chances at championships, injuries are a reality in the NBA. Look at the Bucks (Giannis, Dame), Clippers (Kawhi), Cleveland (Allen, Wade), Dallas (Hardaway Jr), Indiana (Mathurin), NY (Randle, Bogdanovic), and Miami (Buckets, Rozier, Richardson, Jaquez). We just have to roll with it and trust in the backups we have.

That said, it's also true that the healthiest teams tend to be the most successful, and Denver have been very lucky so far  :angel:
Need to add Sixers to the injury list.  Don't know if they can recover from this.   :laugh:
“Sixers coach Nick Nurse injured his finger when he slammed his hand in frustration on a call during Sixers’ Game 5 win at MSG. Unclear if it is a break or a sprain. Nurse couldn’t draw plays up in the second half because he couldn’t grip a marker.”

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2024, 07:17:21 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373
https://x.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1785505783297212479

Was told by several sources today that the lack of a definitive timeline for Porzingis’s return was due to the fact that the team just doesn’t know yet.

They’ll be cautious and see how he responds to treatment, but no one is viewing this as a season-ending injury.

for all the doom and gloomers

I don’t see much good news in this? Celtics always try to act like injuries aren’t that serious when in fact they usually are.
This is all very vague and not giving anything other then “probably not out for the season”
Also all the over confidence from people acting like our biggest difference maker going down 4 games into the playoffs isn’t a big deal?
Idk maybe the Celtics want to start actually playing well, cause as of now they absolutely aren’t they are just lucky to be playing a decimated Heat team that would lose to most g league teams.

I guess, like in life, there are positive people and negative people, and certainly both are entitled to feel the way they do...the doom and gloomers might not want to be hurt again by putting their faith in a team that has failed them every year, while those people trying to be positive might have bad things going on elsewhere in their lives, nothing to get excited about and this is their one ray of hope they're trying to cling to...that our overrated, injury riddled team of chokers might be able to pull it off this year  :police:

no, i have other things going on in my life. I just don't decide to take everything at the opinion of"the celtics suck, its over, every other team is better, read the worst into everything!"

there is a middle ground. looking at it logically.

Is it great porzingis is out? no. A report that says he is basically day to day. how that is negative? or it must mean the celtics are lying? dude strained his calf. Murray just put the lakers away on a strained calf. Giannis is coming back supposedly tonight 3 weeks later (after a grade 2) and dame is coming back 2 days after a strained achilles. why should i take the opinion that all the reports are wrong and celtics are just lying about it?

or how is it over-confidence to expect the 64 win celtics (who went 24-4 without KP) can beat cleveland/orlando without KP. I mean we went 24-4 without him. if a lineup of Jrue/white/brown/tatum/horford cant beat cleveland/orlando with homecourt advantage. how are we expected to win a finals?

those are honestly just reasonable middle ground opinions.

its he same 2-3 posters acting like boston is cooked. same people whining after the heat won game 2.  case in point the end of the post how celtics have not played well. when they have blown out the heat in 3 games. minus one where miami shot generational from 3. what do we want? they must win by 40 to prove to posters they are playing well?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 07:26:28 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2024, 08:10:10 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 184
https://x.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1785505783297212479

Was told by several sources today that the lack of a definitive timeline for Porzingis’s return was due to the fact that the team just doesn’t know yet.

They’ll be cautious and see how he responds to treatment, but no one is viewing this as a season-ending injury.

for all the doom and gloomers

I don’t see much good news in this? Celtics always try to act like injuries aren’t that serious when in fact they usually are.
This is all very vague and not giving anything other then “probably not out for the season”
Also all the over confidence from people acting like our biggest difference maker going down 4 games into the playoffs isn’t a big deal?
Idk maybe the Celtics want to start actually playing well, cause as of now they absolutely aren’t they are just lucky to be playing a decimated Heat team that would lose to most g league teams.

I guess, like in life, there are positive people and negative people, and certainly both are entitled to feel the way they do...the doom and gloomers might not want to be hurt again by putting their faith in a team that has failed them every year, while those people trying to be positive might have bad things going on elsewhere in their lives, nothing to get excited about and this is their one ray of hope they're trying to cling to...that our overrated, injury riddled team of chokers might be able to pull it off this year  :police:

no, i have other things going on in my life. I just don't decide to take everything at the opinion of"the celtics suck, its over, every other team is better, read the worst into everything!"

there is a middle ground. looking at it logically.

Is it great porzingis is out? no. A report that says he is basically day to day. how that is negative? or it must mean the celtics are lying? dude strained his calf. Murray just put the lakers away on a strained calf. Giannis is coming back supposedly tonight 3 weeks later (after a grade 2) and dame is coming back 2 days after a strained achilles. why should i take the opinion that all the reports are wrong and celtics are just lying about it?

or how is it over-confidence to expect the 64 win celtics (who went 24-4 without KP) can beat cleveland/orlando without KP. I mean we went 24-4 without him. if a lineup of Jrue/white/brown/tatum/horford cant beat cleveland/orlando with homecourt advantage. how are we expected to win a finals?

those are honestly just reasonable middle ground opinions.

its he same 2-3 posters acting like boston is cooked. same people whining after the heat won game 2.  case in point the end of the post how celtics have not played well. when they have blown out the heat in 3 games. minus one where miami shot generational from 3. what do we want? they must win by 40 to prove to posters they are playing well?

Hey, I think the Celtics should still easily beat the cavs/magic but they might want to actually start playing well. Also I feel ok about the porzingis injury mostly because of his own post on twitter. Doesn’t mean the Celtics don’t have a long history of downplaying serious playoff injuries.

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2024, 08:16:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1400
This is where we have to have faith in our entire team. We've been fortunate so far and while this sucks, it's not the end of the world. I know we as Cs fans have been mentally scarred by injuries robbing us of chances at championships, injuries are a reality in the NBA. Look at the Bucks (Giannis, Dame), Clippers (Kawhi), Cleveland (Allen, Wade), Dallas (Hardaway Jr), Indiana (Mathurin), NY (Randle, Bogdanovic), and Miami (Buckets, Rozier, Richardson, Jaquez). We just have to roll with it and trust in the backups we have.

That said, it's also true that the healthiest teams tend to be the most successful, and Denver have been very lucky so far  :angel:
Need to add Sixers to the injury list.  Don't know if they can recover from this.   :laugh:
“Sixers coach Nick Nurse injured his finger when he slammed his hand in frustration on a call during Sixers’ Game 5 win at MSG. Unclear if it is a break or a sprain. Nurse couldn’t draw plays up in the second half because he couldn’t grip a marker.”

LOL TP that's one of the funnier injuries I've heard of for sure  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2024, 08:37:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
I am shocked people think we will easily beat the Cavs without Porzingis.

I understand people believing we should easily beat the Cavs with Porzingis. But without? I do not understand. The Cavs are not some clown team like this Miami squad we are playing against now without Jimmy Butler. Cleveland are a quality team. Not a top level team but then neither are the Celtics without Porzingis.

These are teams of equals or near-equals.

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2024, 08:57:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I understand people believing we should easily beat the Cavs with Porzingis. But without? I do not understand. The Cavs are not some clown team like this Miami squad we are playing against now without Jimmy Butler. Cleveland are a quality team. Not a top level team but then neither are the Celtics without Porzingis.

That's the key question:  are we a top-level team without Porzingis?  He's been so impactful that I think the reflexive response is that we're not.

But, compare our record with and without him:

With:  43-14 (.754)

Without:  21-4 (.840)

Now, I'm sure that most of the games where we strategically rested Porzingis were weaker opponents, but still, we played roughly one third of the season without him, and played quite well in his absence.  There were some quality wins in there, too (Minnesota, Dallas, LAC, Philly twice and the 50 point win over GSW).

I don't think that any series will be "easy" from here on out, but I do think we're quite a bit better than Cleveland even without KP.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2024, 08:59:23 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373

easily? probably not. i'm expecting a 6 or 7 game series probably. but these teams are not equals.

celtics went 24-4 without KP. If a lineup of Jrue/white/brown/tatum/horford cannot win a series against the cavs with homecourt advantage they are not winning the finals with KP.

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2024, 09:13:28 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Boston in 6.

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2024, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 428
Be hard to beat Cavs without Porzingus, not saying it can’t be done…but Allen & Mobley inside gotta be a problem
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2024, 09:33:27 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Cleveland has lots of talent but the overall roster construction is off. The whole is significantly less than the sum of its parts.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2024, 09:53:09 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Be hard to beat Cavs without Porzingus, not saying it can’t be done…but Allen & Mobley inside gotta be a problem

I'm more worried about Orlando's size without KP. Orlando had the C's number last year without KP. Obviously the playoffs are different but Wagner and Banchero scare me more than Mobley and Allen.

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2024, 10:19:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's the key question:  are we a top-level team without Porzingis?  He's been so impactful that I think the reflexive response is that we're not.

But, compare our record with and without him:

With:  43-14 (.754)

Without:  21-4 (.840)

Now, I'm sure that most of the games where we strategically rested Porzingis were weaker opponents, but still, we played roughly one third of the season without him, and played quite well in his absence.  There were some quality wins in there, too (Minnesota, Dallas, LAC, Philly twice and the 50 point win over GSW).

I don't think that any series will be "easy" from here on out, but I do think we're quite a bit better than Cleveland even without KP.

I just don't see how either CLE or ORL beats the Celtics in a 7 game series. Steal a game or two?  Sure.  But win 4 out of 7?  I just don't see the Celtics putting up that many stinkers.  I think things would have to go really south.  Like Celtics shooting completely falls off the map.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2024, 10:47:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
The Cavs had a lot of injury problems this year. They are better than a 48 win team. They probably would have been in 55 win range.

In Donovan's Mitchell's 55 games, they were 36 and 19 in those games which would be a 54 win pace. Garland played only 57 games. Mobley only 50 games.

I think the Cavs are being underestimated.

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2024, 12:09:16 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Cavs had a lot of injury problems this year. They are better than a 48 win team. They probably would have been in 55 win range.

In Donovan's Mitchell's 55 games, they were 36 and 19 in those games which would be a 54 win pace. Garland played only 57 games. Mobley only 50 games.

I think the Cavs are being underestimated.

I’m not speaking for everyone but I don’t think that’s true. Even if you give Cleveland a 54 win season, they are still 10 games behind the Celtics.

During the regular season the Celtics were 11 points better on average than their opponents. The next tier has the Knicks, Bucks and 76ers at a 3-4 point differential. The Cavs are in the 3rd tier with the Heat and Magic with a 2 point difference.

The post season is not over yet but so far the difference between the Celtics and Cavs is even more dramatic. The Celtics are still managing to defeat their opponent by an average margin of 11 points, just like the regular season, while the Cavs have a (-7) point disadvantage.

While they currently have the advantage over the Magic, there’s no guarantee they can get out of the 1st round. Just going by point differential they have been pretty evenly matched since the start of the season. Cleveland should be the better team, but not by a lot, and certainly not on the Celtics level.

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2024, 12:13:23 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Joe said they plan to revaluate KP next week to see how he responds to the treatment. Goal is for him to attack rehab process over the next week and see where he is.