Poll

Which of these is more likely?

The Celtics make the playoffs.
15 (39.5%)
The Celtics finish with one of the four worst records in the league.
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: High Lottery or Playoffs?  (Read 6760 times)

Re: High Lottery or Playoffs?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This team is not a playoff team, with or without Rondo.  DA is determined to land a high lottery pick.  The two biggest things for this year.  Brady Stevens gets his feet wet as a NBA Coach and developing the young guys.  I see the C's easing Rondo back into the line-up sometime in January and DA trading off guys like Bass, Lee etc as the season goes by.  This type of talent enters the draft about once every decade and the C's need to capitalize on it IMO>...
This team is not good enough to make the playoffs. 

They have a young coach trying to prove himself and young players trying to prove themselves.  (which I like)

It has lead to a hot streak of four games.  (which I like)

But I have seen nothing that makes me believe that this team has the talent (overall, healthy or experienced) to be a team near 500 and making the playoffs. 

I expect the high streaks and am prepared for the low streaks.  I just believe the low will happen more then the high. 

And I believe some of the better play experienced players will end up on other teams by the end of the season.  Not tank trades, but trades that bring back possible small building blocks and the cap relief in the future.

I disagree with you there, with Rondo, this team is definitely a playoff team. Without Rondo, I won't be surprised that we manage to squeeze into the playoffs and become a first round exit by Indiana or Miami.

I prefer them to make playoffs. As a fan, it's fun to root for a team trying to win games even if the odds are not in our favor.

I don't think Rondo will be effective enough with the team as is.

Rondo is a top talent in the NBA.  His talent is making others look better.  Give him an top level offensive weapon to feed with complimentary weapons around, you have Rondo as a top 5 PG.

With out those weapons, you have a pass first PG that has to be come more of a scorer.  That takes away from what makes Rondo great.

I strongly disagree with this.  I think Rondo will excel in the up-tempo style that coach Stevens is trying to implement, and I think the team will benefit greatly from having him back.  He'll be able to get easy looks for everybody on the roster despite the fact that none of them are top level offensive weapons. 

As much as I like what Jordan Crawford has been doing for the team, I think that offensively we'll look considerably better with Rondo out there running the show.

Of course the Celtics will be better offensively with Rondo out there, but the rest of the team doesn't do anything to really help Rondo. 

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
This team is not a playoff team, with or without Rondo.  DA is determined to land a high lottery pick.  The two biggest things for this year.  Brady Stevens gets his feet wet as a NBA Coach and developing the young guys.  I see the C's easing Rondo back into the line-up sometime in January and DA trading off guys like Bass, Lee etc as the season goes by.  This type of talent enters the draft about once every decade and the C's need to capitalize on it IMO>...

They have a young coach trying to prove himself and young players trying to prove themselves.  (which I like)

But I have seen nothing that makes me believe that this team has the talent (overall, healthy or experienced) to be a team near 500 and making the playoffs. 

I expect the high streaks and am prepared for the low streaks.  I just believe the low will happen more then the high. 

And I believe some of the better play experienced players will end up on other teams by the end of the season.  Not tank trades, but trades that bring back possible small building blocks and the cap relief in the future.

I disagree with you there, with Rondo, this team is definitely a playoff team. Without Rondo, I won't be surprised that we manage to squeeze into the playoffs and become a first round exit by Indiana or Miami.

I prefer them to make playoffs. As a fan, it's fun to root for a team trying to win games even if the odds are not in our favor.

Rondo is a top talent in the NBA.  His talent is making others look better.  Give him an top level offensive weapon to feed with complimentary weapons around, you have Rondo as a top 5 PG.

With out those weapons, you have a pass first PG that has to be come more of a scorer.  That takes away from what makes Rondo great.

I strongly disagree with this.  I think Rondo will excel in the up-tempo style that coach Stevens is trying to implement, and I think the team will benefit greatly from having him back.  He'll be able to get easy looks for everybody on the roster despite the fact that none of them are top level offensive weapons. 

As much as I like what Jordan Crawford has been doing for the team, I think that offensively we'll look considerably better with Rondo out there running the show.

I disagree - the offense was one of the worst in the NBA with a healthy Rondo, KG and Pierce.  Rondo needs to be surrounded by guys that can knock down shots and there aren't many on this team....

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I disagree - the offense was one of the worst in the NBA with a healthy Rondo, KG and Pierce.  Rondo needs to be surrounded by guys that can knock down shots and there aren't many on this team....

Did you for once consider that we have guys who run and fill the lanes now.   I think it will help Rajon alot not having to walk it up for KG and PP.   We have guys who run and fill lanes providing he is healthy, I think this helps us immensely.

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Jeff Green is capable of playing a Paul Pierce type of role. Bradley - if taken off of pg duties can play very very very well with Rondo. He cuts and can knock down corner threes. We have seen this this year as well. Bradley plays much better on offense when he is playing his natural role of SG. While not as good, Humphries if left wide open 10-15 feet can finish pretty well (poor man KG). Sullinger - same. Vitor with limited minutes look good out there. Look forward to see him on the pick and roll with Rondo. This team is younger and will run with Rondo. I don't see Rondo having any problems repeating his last 2 years performance if 100% healthy. First two months he might be rusty, but being the competitor and athlete Rondo is, he'll shake those rust off pretty quickly. There is NO WAY, that with Rondo in the lineup with Green, this team is not a playoff team. Unless you keep Rondo out for the year, you will see playoffs and probably no top 5 pick for us.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I get the feeling our offensive woes were largely systemic--through Doc's emphasis on executing in the half-court and tight defense.

The issue with our team in the last couple years was that their "score enough" mentality was running through a pair of exhausted future Hall of Famers. At this point in their careers, you'd like Pierce and KG to be the 3rd and 4th offensive options, not 1 and 2.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Jeff Green is capable of playing a Paul Pierce type of role. Bradley - if taken off of pg duties can play very very very well with Rondo. He cuts and can knock down corner threes. We have seen this this year as well. Bradley plays much better on offense when he is playing his natural role of SG. While not as good, Humphries if left wide open 10-15 feet can finish pretty well (poor man KG). Sullinger - same. Vitor with limited minutes look good out there. Look forward to see him on the pick and roll with Rondo. This team is younger and will run with Rondo. I don't see Rondo having any problems repeating his last 2 years performance if 100% healthy. First two months he might be rusty, but being the competitor and athlete Rondo is, he'll shake those rust off pretty quickly. There is NO WAY, that with Rondo in the lineup with Green, this team is not a playoff team. Unless you keep Rondo out for the year, you will see playoffs and probably no top 5 pick for us.

Green is not capable of playing like Pierce.   

Green is capable of showing flashes of being a fringe all-star, but never have the consistency for a whole season.

It is not fair to expect Pierce level out of Green.

As for Bradley, he played well off Rondo when there were strong shooters at other positions that defenses respected.

Now, I fear when Rondo returns, defenses are going to pack the middle on him. 

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Green is capable of showing flashes of being a fringe all-star, but never have the consistency for a whole season.

I have no problem with Green being this type of guy as long as he learns to pick his spots well, and contributes in all phases of the game.

The things he can do with the basketball when the defense is caught even a little bit out of position are amazing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

for Rondo we still don't know if he can fit in the system or not, remember last season when he pounding the ball and our offense totally stopped? and he also don't bring it every game
in the regular season
but as smart as he is and the good relationship with stevens i
still believe he can do it and we need to keep him
i think danny will try to tank hard while developing the youngs
this year is too valuable to pass

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

People act like there is an absolute level of "playoff-ness" that determines whether or not a team is good enough to make the playoffs.

There are a lot of Eastern Conference teams capable of playing bad enough to miss the playoffs.  There are a lot of teams that are one injury away from looking like a sure-fire lottery team.

The Celtics may need some luck, including above-average health, to make the playoffs, but it's not inconceivable that they do.  They're not some rock-bottom team that lacks the talent to get to 30 wins even if almost everything goes right.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I have no problem with Green being this type of guy as long as he learns to pick his spots well, and contributes in all phases of the game.

The things he can do with the basketball when the defense is caught even a little bit out of position are amazing.

I like Green for the player he is.  (I wish he was a little more consistent)

I just don't think it is fair to expect him to be Pierce

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Excellent question. I voted for Playoffs just because I doubt we will get a bottom 4 spot.

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I vote playoffs.

It's a lot easier to make the playoffs then it is to outdo 60% of the NBA in a tankfest.

I know it's early, but take a look at the following (including teams most thought would be good this year.) Take out Miami, Indy and someone needs to tell these guys the season started two weeks ago.

Knicks 3-4
Nets 2-5
Cleveland 3-6
Bucks 2-5
Pistons 2-5
Orlando 4-5
Wizards 2-6
Denver 3-4
Lakers 4-6
Kings 2-5
Grizzlies 3-5
Pelicans 3-6
Wow everybody is tanking for wiggins/parker!

Grizzlies, Lakers, Knicks, and Nets will pop up. I also think the Pelicans Nuggets and Cavs could contend for 7-8seeds.

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

As for Bradley, he played well off Rondo when there were strong shooters at other positions that defenses respected.

Now, I fear when Rondo returns, defenses are going to pack the middle on him.

In terms of playing with Rondo though, Green doesn't really need to be like Pierce. He's a pretty efficient shooter, but lacks Paul's playmaking ability. He won't need it as much when Rondo played, much like Paul didn't.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
neither option.  I think the C's end up out of the playoffs with a record somewhere between the 8th and 10th worst in the league. 

That may have to be adjusted upwards depending on 2 things:
1. how well they survive until Rondo returns
2. how well Rondo plays when he does return.
I agree, but the OP didn't give us that option. Personally, I picked bottom 4 from the two choices, although, I think that is quite unlikely.

My actual expectation is an up and down season flirting with the 8th seed up until the trade deadline, then a fade toward the bottom due to trades, injuries, and "the rookie wall." Realistically, 8th to 12th worst record.

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I voted bottom 4. I think the Celtics will probably land in the 4-10 range barring injury.

Without a full season of Rondo, playing with maximum post injury confidence i don't think the Celtics can crack the top 9 of:

Miami
Indiana
Chicago
Brooklyn
New York
Atlanta
Cleveland
Detroit
Toronto

As it stands the Celtics have beaten 2 fellow tankers 3 times, and surprised the Heat who underestimated them. And the Celtics have done this with Jordan Crawford playing at a PER of 21.5 and Jeff Green shooting 44% from 3 so far this season.