Author Topic: Woj: Paul Pierce Was Nearly A Maverick At Trade Deadline  (Read 8470 times)

Re: Woj: Paul Pierce Was Nearly A Maverick At Trade Deadline
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The fact that the deal fell through makes me happy.

Yup
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I wonder who on this year's draft is even worth better than Josh Smith?

If he does not hit a home run this yr then he would have screwed bigtime by not landing Josh..and I suppose KG might have been the next one to go since no PP. ???

I suggest this means Ainge had reasons to doubt that Josh Smith would re-sign with the Celtics.  Quite possibly, that means that he was not willing to give Smith a max contract this summer and that he thought there was a good chance that someone else would and that Smith would chase the bling rather than the ring.

I read it as Danny just not wanting to allow Atlanta to force him to overpay. Wouldn't be the first time he stuck to his guns.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Interesting.. Mavs fans say they think the Mavs would consider taking Pierce if they can't sign Howard or CP3 this offseason- Most likely at the deadline.

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2013/03/08/report-paul-pierce-was-nearly-a-maverick-at-trade-deadline/

Though he wouldn’t divulge the details, Mark Cuban stated the day after the trade deadline that the Mavs had numerous deals lined up which could have brought in ‘difference maker guys’ which ultimately fell through.  It’s now being reported that one of those ‘difference makers’ would have been Paul Pierce, but the 3-team (Mavericks, Hawks, Celtics) deal got scrapped by Boston, who would have landed Josh Smith.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports:

Before the trade deadline passed, the Boston Celtics had one final choice to make on the franchise’s future: In a three-way deal that would’ve secured Josh Smith and surrendered Paul Pierce to Dallas, Atlanta wanted Boston’s first-round draft pick, too.

As much as any of the proposed deals discussed in February, perhaps this had been the closest Pierce had come to parting with the Celtics, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas had constructed a package that included Jae Crowder, Brandan Wright and Dahntay Jones to Atlanta, with the Mavericks and Hawks exchanging positions in the 2013 NBA draft.

Nevertheless, Boston wouldn’t relent on the pick and the deal died on meeting-room grease boards in three cities.

Thanks for posting, but didn't we already know this? Not bashing the OP, but just seems like Woj is recycling old news....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Ugh barf.

Would rather pay pierce 1 year 15 mil than what ever long term contract the market has for Smith

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
As much as I want Josh Smith to be on this team, I don't think Josh is a great player going forward. Too much hero ball for him. If say PP and KG retires, I want Jeff Green to be our main guy. Josh Smith should be the 2nd option or even 3rd option.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would hate to lose pierce... Would love to have smith...

I would wanna see them on the same celtics team, not swapped for one another.

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As much as I want Josh Smith to be on this team, I don't think Josh is a great player going forward. Too much hero ball for him. If say PP and KG retires, I want Jeff Green to be our main guy. Josh Smith should be the 2nd option or even 3rd option.

I think that's why J-Smoove doesn't want to be on the Hawks anymore. He was tired of being the one expected of doing everything. There was a lot of things the Hawks expected him to accomplish, despite the fact a few years ago, their team was almost championship caliber until it was dismantled. I really hope J-Smoove can somehow find a way to come here.

I always been a fan of his game. Hard to stop when posting up at the paint, and blocking plenty of shots.

If we could get rid of Bass/Terry, and possibly Crawford.

And we could keep Pierce, let the both of them retire it would be nice.

I don't mind putting Smith at C, since Doc loves to do small ball. Although, I'd rather have Smith at PF, with Green at SF.

If we could find a way to keep Rondo/Sully/Bradley/Green/KG/Pierce/T-Will then that'd be great.

I don't mind moving anyone else.

Keep Lee if possible, as he is still young, and wasn't given a good role.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I would of loved to get Smith if we could somehow keep Pierce and KG for this years playoffs. If it costs Pierce its more of a meh deal.

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 10:10:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would love a deal where we give up Pierce to the Mavs, the Hawks get a Mavs first and a trade exception and we get J-Smoove.

Several things need to happen for a deal like this to even be possible
1. Mavs miss out on free agents and decide to make a one year run with Pierce and Dirk
2. Smith decides to sign here.
3. We find a trading partner for KG
4. Either the Celtics clear salary by moving someone else or ownership agrees to go into tax land for a roster of (assuming KG is dealt to LAC for Bledsoe and Jordan)
Rondo/Bledsoe
Bradley/Terry
Green
Smith/Sullinger/Bass
Jordan/Shav/Fab

That is a team I would love to watch, and would be happy to support, but it is not worthy of paying the luxury tax and being in the running to be a repeat offender of the tax.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I find it kind of hilarious that of any NBA team Celtics fans would actually want J smith.

The guy gets booed in Atlanta! Imagine him here?

I mean Antoine was ripped apart here for a while, rondo is constantly ripped apart, Pierce was for a while.

At least those guys can take it. Smith doesn't seem like he'd be able to.

Aside from me not wanting to pay him or pay him long term, I think it would jist be a disaster in Boston

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Given what's left of his credibility, and our total inability to shoot the perimeter shot, you'll excuse me if I view this report as another Woj attempt at throwing stuff at the wall.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I find it kind of hilarious that of any NBA team Celtics fans would actually want J smith.

The guy gets booed in Atlanta! Imagine him here?

I mean Antoine was ripped apart here for a while, rondo is constantly ripped apart, Pierce was for a while.

At least those guys can take it. Smith doesn't seem like he'd be able to.

Aside from me not wanting to pay him or pay him long term, I think it would jist be a disaster in Boston
I see where you are coming from, but the hope is that with the stability of his best friend from HS (Rondo), a championship winning coach and playoff tested veterans that Smith could remodel his game in a more efficient manner
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
another note - picking up on the Myths article Bulpett wrote a day ago - how do we know that the Mavs deal fell apart because of the draft pick and not because Ainge knew he couldn't deal KG to the Clips because they wouldn't do the deal?

that's the trouble with trying to piece together history without all the facts

I like your theory, seems totally plausible that DA had a Pierce for Smith trade lined up that was contingent on KG going to the clippers for Bledsoe and Jordan.

I don't know have affective the team would have been with so little perimeter scoring but

Bledsoe
AB
Green
Smith
Jordan

would have been super athletic. However not a huge fan of Smith's game. So much physical potential but he seems to coast alot and he is to in love with his perimeter shot.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wonder who on this year's draft is even worth better than Josh Smith?
I don't know. But noone in this draft would be paid right away the way Josh Smith wants to be paid.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
same old story