Author Topic: Ray's ankle may be an issue this season  (Read 30642 times)

Re: Ray's ankle may be an issue this season
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
PLEASE stop with some of these posts on here - celebrating Ray's injury? :o

Seriously?

After Feb 19, 2009 and June 15, 2010 - I don't think we should be celebrating ANYONE's injuries....

Perk and KG going down probably cost BOS AT LEAST two rings.

Sorry but some of us aren't that "nice" and shouldn't be.  Nobody here is wishing him a serious injury but anything to make this guy realize he left a knife in our backs.  I really hope his run on the Heat is one big FAIL.  Call me heartless but that's the way it is

But it makes us look petty when we stoop to the level of wishing bad on another player - especially regarding his health.
Maybe we are petty.

I like Ray Allen a lot. Yet, I was happy to hear the ankle issue news. The reality is that Ray is old. His body might not recover from some ailments. I want to beat the Heat and Ray being over the hill would help that. It would also make losing him a great move for us.

I think there is a difference between hoping someone gets injured and feeling relief over hearing someone will continue to have a nagging injury in their old age. I am not one for pretending that we don't react that way, especially when these players make the choice to sacrifice their bodies to play longer. Similarly, I don't feel sorry when extreme sports lovers lose limbs or die while risking their lives for a rush.

I still like Ray but I will be happy to see him ineffective all season due to failing ankles. Let's be real about this. We aren't talking about someone who won't be able to walk normal for the rest of his life. We are just talking about someone whose ankles can't handle the intense strain of professional basketball. It might be no worse in the long run than the aches some of us have in our joints from playing basketball for free.

You DO realize that we as BOS fans are depending upon KG and Paul Pierce, both of whom are OLD, too - right?

We lose either of them, and Rajon Rondo can average a triple double this season and we aren't getting out of the 1st round.

2008-09 all over again.

To be honest, I think BOS fans should be tossing their dislike towards LeBron James instead of Ray Allen. After all, it was LeBron that ran roughshod over our team single-handledly in that decisive game 6.

Why are we literally wishing bad health on Ray Allen when BOS is a KG injury or Paul Pierce Knee from Danny going into instant rebuild mode?

Let's not kid ourselves that KG, even though I LOVE the man - will play like he did last year. Or Paul Pierce.

Our window is closing. Danny did a great job this summer propping it open for a bit, but it IS in fact closing.

I'm not wishing anything bad on no one - Ray Allen, LeBron, etc.
We can win without Paul.

WOW - you REALLY think we can win without Paul Pierce?

I'm one of the most optimistic fans on here - possibly to the point of ridicule, admittedly - and even I don't believe we can win anything without Paul Pierce.

Or KG, for that matter.

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Seriously?

After Feb 19, 2009 and June 15, 2010 - I don't think we should be celebrating ANYONE's injuries....

Sorry but some of us aren't that "nice" and shouldn't be.  Nobody here is wishing him a serious injury but anything to make this guy realize he left a knife in our backs.  I really hope his run on the Heat is one big FAIL.  Call me heartless but that's the way it is

But it makes us look petty when we stoop to the level of wishing bad on another player - especially regarding his health.
Maybe we are petty.

I like Ray Allen a lot. Yet, I was happy to hear the ankle issue news. The reality is that Ray is old. His body might not recover from some ailments. I want to beat the Heat and Ray being over the hill would help that. It would also make losing him a great move for us.

I think there is a difference between hoping someone gets injured and feeling relief over hearing someone will continue to have a nagging injury in their old age. I am not one for pretending that we don't react that way, especially when these players make the choice to sacrifice their bodies to play longer. Similarly, I don't feel sorry when extreme sports lovers lose limbs or die while risking their lives for a rush.

I still like Ray but I will be happy to see him ineffective all season due to failing ankles. Let's be real about this. We aren't talking about someone who won't be able to walk normal for the rest of his life. We are just talking about someone whose ankles can't handle the intense strain of professional basketball. It might be no worse in the long run than the aches some of us have in our joints from playing basketball for free.

You DO realize that we as BOS fans are depending upon KG and Paul Pierce, both of whom are OLD, too - right?
Why wouldn't I realize that? What is your point? Obviously, I want players on my team to be at peak performance levels. I don't get how this is supposed to relate to my point.

The reality is actually worse than I mentioned. A lot of these players will end up with serious arthritis in joints. It is expected of a long NBA career. It is part of the costs of doing what you enjoy and making millions. Ray and KG are at the point where they are choosing pain over retirement. Non-Celtics fans likely hope that KG's physical condition makes him ineffective at playing NBA basketball. Many Celtics fans are hoping that Ray's age and condition make him ineffective. This is quite different from hoping a second year player tears his ACL or hoping that DRose doesn't heal properly (a la Grant Hill, who lost years of his career due to complications from injuries that should not have been so dire).

Even as someone who is hoping that Ray is washed up physically now that he is on the Heat, I don't want to see him end like Dikembe did, which is always possible when guy decide to battle the undefeated Father Time.

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224

I'm one of the most optimistic fans on here - possibly to the point of ridicule, admittedly - and even I don't believe we can win anything without Paul Pierce.

Or KG, for that matter.
We're cooked without KG, that I would agree. I think that Jeff Green can fake Pierce well enough for us to get by without him, though. We're not going to depend on PP to score for us this year like in years past. Rondo showed us that this past year in the playoffs when PP fouled out. We have JET, too.

It will be nice having a bench.

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Or KG, for that matter.
We're cooked without KG, that I would agree. I think that Jeff Green can fake Pierce well enough for us to get by without him, though. We're not going to depend on PP to score for us this year like in years past. Rondo showed us that this past year in the playoffs when PP fouled out. We have JET, too.

It will be nice having a bench.
Yeah these are my thoughts.

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I've got to say, to see how classless some Celtics fans are, it almost makes me wish the Heat win the championship.  Every negative stereotype of bad fans there are in the league -- entitled, ignorant, classless, boorish, etc. -- has come out loud and clear during the Ray Allen saga.

We have a ton of good fans, many of whom aren't big Ray Allen fans right now.  Unfortunately, we have some fans who are pretty crappy, too, and part of me wants to see those folks end up miserable.

(Again, they're a minority of Celtics fans -- probably a small percentage -- but they sure are vocal with their vitriol.)

If that isn't a pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.  That post has much hate as anyone here has towards Ray.  Thing is ppl have every right to react to Ray Allen's move as they want.  That's the true meaning of being a fan in every sense.  Being hateful and patronizing about it in the guise of trying to be the "classy fan" is hypocritical in my opinion.  Downright ridiculous
I thought he made a valid critique. I think you also have the right to have a different perspective.

I side with Roy on the over-the-top tribal fan reactions. But some people have strong us-versus-them feelings and in gets manifested in their sports. We can see people who believe these fantastic narratives about how morally deficient players on other teams are and how virtuous our players are. This does not make them better or worse fans than those of us who don't do that. It just makes them stronger supporters of in-group thinking. This allows them to completely change their views on Ray Allen in the course of a single month. This allows them to ignore slights against Ray over the last few years while focusing only on slights to the Celtics franchise, the group they are loyal to.

Or maybe they don't like the circumstances that Ray left under (or Ray in particular) and don't fit into that wacky characterization at all. Tribal? Really?

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
We can win without Paul.

Or KG, for that matter.
I think we can barely win it all with Paul and KG. I don't see how we defend the Heat for an entire series without Paul for man to man defense or KG for pick and roll defense.

In fact, we don't just need them playing. We need them playing at a high level.

Then again, upsets do happen.

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 605
Let's keep the ill will wishing to ourselves. We're better than this.
We don't need to wish him a speedy recovery or feel bad for him, but we should show a little class.

The dislike is understandable, but wishing injury on Ray is not.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Seriously?

Maybe we are petty.

We lose either of them, and Rajon Rondo can average a triple double this season and we aren't getting out of the 1st round.

2008-09 all over again.

We *did* get out of the first round in 2009. That's with a bigs rotation of Perk, Baby and Scal and all of the backup 1-2-3 minutes going to House and Marbury. If Powe hadn't hurt his knee we'd have probably gone to the conference final.

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I've got to say, to see how classless some Celtics fans are, it almost makes me wish the Heat win the championship.  Every negative stereotype of bad fans there are in the league -- entitled, ignorant, classless, boorish, etc. -- has come out loud and clear during the Ray Allen saga.

We have a ton of good fans, many of whom aren't big Ray Allen fans right now.  Unfortunately, we have some fans who are pretty crappy, too, and part of me wants to see those folks end up miserable.

(Again, they're a minority of Celtics fans -- probably a small percentage -- but they sure are vocal with their vitriol.)

If that isn't a pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.  That post has much hate as anyone here has towards Ray.  Thing is ppl have every right to react to Ray Allen's move as they want.  That's the true meaning of being a fan in every sense.  Being hateful and patronizing about it in the guise of trying to be the "classy fan" is hypocritical in my opinion.  Downright ridiculous
I thought he made a valid critique. I think you also have the right to have a different perspective.

I side with Roy on the over-the-top tribal fan reactions. But some people have strong us-versus-them feelings and in gets manifested in their sports. We can see people who believe these fantastic narratives about how morally deficient players on other teams are and how virtuous our players are. This does not make them better or worse fans than those of us who don't do that. It just makes them stronger supporters of in-group thinking. This allows them to completely change their views on Ray Allen in the course of a single month. This allows them to ignore slights against Ray over the last few years while focusing only on slights to the Celtics franchise, the group they are loyal to.

Or maybe they don't like the circumstances that Ray left under (or Ray in particular) and don't fit into that wacky characterization at all. Tribal? Really?
Yes, tribal. Just another term for groupist.

The circumstances that Ray left under was that he took a lesser contract because he was tired of the Boston trade rumors and felt betrayed by the management. He felt he wasn't properly valued.

Obviously, at his point in his career, he is only going to play for a team with a chance. To some degree, he might have wanted to say to Danny, "treat me like that, and this is what happens".

I can completely understand not liking what Ray did. That was not what I was critiquing. Most of us don't like what he did. But it takes a particular mindset to get enraged by this and start spouting hate.

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Let's keep the ill will wishing to ourselves. We're better than this.
We don't need to wish him a speedy recovery or feel bad for him, but we should show a little class.

The dislike is understandable, but wishing injury on Ray is not.
Are people wishing injury, or just that he is trying to play past his time? Bodies give out on the greats who try to play forever. Some fans are just happy to have it happen now rather than in 3 years. His ankles are his ankles. They are already defective.

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
We can win without Paul.

Or KG, for that matter.
I think we can barely win it all with Paul and KG. I don't see how we defend the Heat for an entire series without Paul for man to man defense or KG for pick and roll defense.

In fact, we don't just need them playing. We need them playing at a high level.

Then again, upsets do happen.

You'd need a few things to break right, like one (or more) of Sully, Wilcox or probably Darko to give us quality minutes but a starting 1-2-3 of Rondo/Bradley/Green with Terry and Lee backing up those minutes isn't really terrible. If you look at last year's playoff team, all of Bradley/Terry/Lee/Green's minutes would come from players that were injured (PP/RA/Avery) or mediocre (Pietrus/DOoling). One could argue that we could be better overall at the 1-2-3 than we were in the last playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One of the reasons I wasn't too worried about Ray leaving was that he seemed to be having trouble staying healthy for a full season.  By the playoffs he seemed run-down and hobbled more often than not.  The ankle was a big part of that. 

Playing for the Heat though, he'll be doing a lot more spotting up - it'll probably be less strenuous on him.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he starts a lot better than he finishes this year.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:14:20 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Yes, tribal. Just another term for groupist.

The circumstances that Ray left under was that he took a lesser contract because he was tired of the Boston trade rumors and felt betrayed by the management. He felt he wasn't properly valued.

Also because he was jealous of KG and PP, didn't want to take a back seat to Bradley and didn't like Rondo. The outrageous contract demands didn't help either.

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
One of the reasons I wasn't too worried about Ray leaving was that he seemed to be having trouble staying healthy for a full season.  By the playoffs he seemed run-down and hobbled more often than not.  The ankle was a big part of that. 

I think people would have been a lot less concerned about Ray leaving at the time if Bradley were healty, or possibly even if Lee were under contract. We were pretty high and dry at the time.

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i like ray and he should be here but
even if his ankle was 100% his shootin ~even tho deadly when he is hot~ has fallen off