Author Topic: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread  (Read 32967 times)

tazzmaniac, BitterJim and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2024, 08:57:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I will say it again, Boston, even without KP, is clearly and easily the best team in the East with all of the injuries on the other teams.  I mean Giannis and Lillard are both out.  Randle and OG are out. Embiid is clearly hobbled. No Butler either. None of the other teams have enough talent to really challenge the C's. And frankly it is really only Denver and Minnesota out West where there is a real need for KP.  Don't get me wrong, KP would certainly help, but Boston should absolutely still make the finals even if he doesn't play again this season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2024, 09:21:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
I will say it again, Boston, even without KP, is clearly and easily the best team in the East with all of the injuries on the other teams.  I mean Giannis and Lillard are both out.  Randle and OG are out. Embiid is clearly hobbled. No Butler either. None of the other teams have enough talent to really challenge the C's. And frankly it is really only Denver and Minnesota out West where there is a real need for KP.  Don't get me wrong, KP would certainly help, but Boston should absolutely still make the finals even if he doesn't play again this season.

OG is back and helping the Knicks a lot actually, but yeah I agree with everything. None of the next two rounds will be "easy" but again, there's zero excuses not to make it out of the East.

The only exception would be, GOD FORBID, if we also lose two of Tatum/Horford/White/Jaylen to significant injury. And I only add Horford to that group because after him our frontcourt suddenly becomes super weak/thin and Horford is still a smart, veteran player all around.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2024, 09:23:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1624
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is correct

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2024, 09:44:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
It might look like a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I was VERY encouraged tonight. Last year's Game 5 vs. Atlanta without Murray was alarming when we lost, and we have played with our food a ton in playoff series in the past 2 seasons. It's made us doubt the C's ability to win the Finals, or doubt our ability to even reach it in 2023 (both things were true). But tonight, they were just on a mission and overwhelmed the Heat.

Sure, Game 2 wasn't great, but to come out and win the next three + blow them out in the elimination game is a very good sign. A sign this team might be locked in and truly on a mission. Maybe this isn't the same Celtics as previous years, which is a great sign going forward for a Finals run;D

How many times have we seen them blow pivotal Game 5s at home in recent years? Not only did they win today, but they absolutely blew them out as early as the 2nd quarter. Dominant.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2024, 09:54:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
It might look like a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I was VERY encouraged tonight. Last year's Game 5 vs. Atlanta without Murray was alarming when we lost, and we have played with our food a ton in playoff series in the past 2 seasons. It's made us doubt the C's ability to win the Finals, or doubt our ability to even reach it in 2023 (both things were true). But tonight, they were just on a mission and overwhelmed the Heat.

Sure, Game 2 wasn't great, but to come out and win the next three + blow them out in the elimination game is a very good sign. A sign this team might be locked in and truly on a mission. Maybe this isn't the same Celtics as previous years, which is a great sign going forward for a Finals run;D

How many times have we seen them blow pivotal Game 5s at home in recent years? Not only did they win today, but they absolutely blew them out as early as the 2nd quarter. Dominant.
Agreed. As disheartening as Game 2 was, winning back to back ugly games with an absolutely dominant blow-out in Game 5 is the first time in years I've thought "It looks like the C's learned their lesson."
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424

OG is back and helping the Knicks a lot actually, but yeah I agree with everything. None of the next two rounds will be "easy" but again, there's zero excuses not to make it out of the East.

The only exception would be, GOD FORBID, if we also lose two of Tatum/Horford/White/Jaylen to significant injury. And I only add Horford to that group because after him our frontcourt suddenly becomes super weak/thin and Horford is still a smart, veteran player all around.

I was thinking if we lost Tatum on top of Porzingis, we'd be on a par with this trash Miami team we've just been playing with for the last two weeks.

G: Jrue, Pritchard
G: D White,
F: Hauser, Svi?
F: Jaylen, Brisset?
C: Horford, Tillman / Kornet

Does anyone really want to see Jaylen being the go-to guy for smart intelligent team orientated offense?

That is a .500 team.

« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2024, 10:59:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1602

Agreed. As disheartening as Game 2 was, winning back to back ugly games with an absolutely dominant blow-out in Game 5 is the first time in years I've thought "It looks like the C's learned their lesson."

yup. cautiously optimistic moving forward after the PTSD this team gave me the last 8 years
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #202 on: May 01, 2024, 11:10:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

All the moaning about game 2 was silly.  Losing a game because a team shoots out of their minds from 3 isn't disheartening.  No sane person thought Miami would win the series after their game 2 win.  Disheartening is losing a game when you play your best and still lose.   

« Reply #203 on: May 01, 2024, 11:15:41 PM »

• Bill Sharman

All the moaning about game 2 was silly.  Losing a game because a team shoots out of their minds from 3 isn't disheartening.  No sane person thought Miami would win the series after their game 2 win.  Disheartening is losing a game when you play your best and still lose.   

no, no it was not. it was pathetic. miami was NOT hitting contested threes. we gave them wide open looks. how many times does it need to be posted here??

do you understand performance versus results? nope. i can live with a loss where we play well and just get beat. DISHEARTENING is not showing up, not contesting and not being ready for each game like we have done the last 7 years!

we finally started contesting and running them off the 3 line and we destroyed them 3 straight
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #204 on: May 01, 2024, 11:18:01 PM »

• Bill Sharman

this is an anomaly where we better capitalize. now could we make finals if embiid and giannis and butler were 100%? sure. we beat butler and giannis two years ago. we beat embiid last year. but this is lining up as our easiest path to finals in decades.

TALE ADVANTAGE OF IT! get KP healthy for when we play denver or OKC.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2024, 11:46:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

I was thinking if we lost Tatum on top of Porzingis, we'd be on a par with this trash Miami team we've just been playing with for the last two weeks.

G: Jrue, Pritchard
G: D White,
F: Hauser, Svi?
F: Jaylen, Brisset?
C: Horford, Tillman / Kornet

Does anyone really want to see Jaylen being the go-to guy for smart intelligent team orientated offense?

That is a .500 team.
Losing your best player is not the same thing as losing your third best player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2024, 02:17:51 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
We are done with MIA, thankfully.  Game 2 should not have happened, but overall, the team played well, was well prepared, and had a good "all-business" mindset.  I feel like it is going to be CLE next.  They are a good team.

I would say that the one thing coming out of this that worries me a little is their defense against the Herro-Adebayo pick and roll.  MIA got a lot of good shots out of that.  I think it is somewhat related to not wanting to bring help and leave other 3 point shooters open, but we are likely going to see more quick guards in the next couple of rounds (Mitchell, Brunson).

I am not sure what the adjustment should be.  Maybe if the Picker is not as skilled as Adebayo, they can switch or double, vs. the drop defense.

« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2024, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3203
We are done with MIA, thankfully.  Game 2 should not have happened, but overall, the team played well, was well prepared, and had a good "all-business" mindset.  I feel like it is going to be CLE next.  They are a good team.

I would say that the one thing coming out of this that worries me a little is their defense against the Herro-Adebayo pick and roll.  MIA got a lot of good shots out of that.  I think it is somewhat related to not wanting to bring help and leave other 3 point shooters open, but we are likely going to see more quick guards in the next couple of rounds (Mitchell, Brunson).

I am not sure what the adjustment should be.  Maybe if the Picker is not as skilled as Adebayo, they can switch or double, vs. the drop defense.

Bam moves on every pick. If we don't have to face a constantly moving screen I think it'll be so much easier.

« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2024, 04:02:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

no, no it was not. it was pathetic. miami was NOT hitting contested threes. we gave them wide open looks. how many times does it need to be posted here??

do you understand performance versus results? nope. i can live with a loss where we play well and just get beat. DISHEARTENING is not showing up, not contesting and not being ready for each game like we have done the last 7 years!

we finally started contesting and running them off the 3 line and we destroyed them 3 straight

I think that's right.  In that game, the game plan was bad.  That's forgivable; not every decision works out.  The irritating thing was not adjusting to that poor game plan in-game.

My perception is that most fans, even fans of Joe, will concede that that was a poor coaching performance.  But, going forward he had the team ready to play.

The level of worry fans have going forward is going to vary.  Myself, I look at risks and downsides a lot.  So, I take a combination of Game 2, not pulling KP, and last year's playoffs.  My conclusion is that Joe is a barrier to winning, that a team cannot give away one game per series due to its coach. 

Somebody who suspends disbelief a bit more?  They are likely to largely ignore last year's playoffs as a learning experience, and will focus on a great regular season, and an 80% winning percentage in the playoffs.  They might tend to think that KP's injury was inevitable and/or that it's understandable that a coach would leave his fragile star to play through an obvious injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2024, 06:07:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

I think that's right.  In that game, the game plan was bad.  That's forgivable; not every decision works out.  The irritating thing was not adjusting to that poor game plan in-game.

My perception is that most fans, even fans of Joe, will concede that that was a poor coaching performance.  But, going forward he had the team ready to play.

The level of worry fans have going forward is going to vary.  Myself, I look at risks and downsides a lot.  So, I take a combination of Game 2, not pulling KP, and last year's playoffs.  My conclusion is that Joe is a barrier to winning, that a team cannot give away one game per series due to its coach. 

Somebody who suspends disbelief a bit more?  They are likely to largely ignore last year's playoffs as a learning experience, and will focus on a great regular season, and an 80% winning percentage in the playoffs.  They might tend to think that KP's injury was inevitable and/or that it's understandable that a coach would leave his fragile star to play through an obvious injury.

I agree with most of what you said, except I don't buy that he will give away one game per series. I just don't think he's that impactful. This is a player's league. To paraphrase the great Moranis, the best players win championships. I hope we have the best players.