Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238640 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1740 on: April 16, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
So yall are saying 15 years before that players were running around dribbling with one hand looking incompetent and unathletic?

Could it be those were just the "Zellers" of the league you saw?

Just go on youtube and watch some video of Bob Cousy. Cousy was a league MVP and one of the greatest PG's of all time. They called him the Houdini of the Hardwood because his ballhandling ability was so far above everyone else's.

He could barely dribble with his left.

Some of the dribbling back then has to do with rule changes but there is lots and lots of video from the 60's where you can see that players are just not as good as they are today and it isn't close.

That doesn't take away from their greatness, mind you. It's just an acknowledgement that time passes and things change. Players today are building on what players from the 00's did just like those players were building on what the guys from the 80's did and so on.

I gotta revise some stuff cause yeah, I noticed that about him. And also
Gervin averaged about 33 pts a couple times.

But it just hit me what happened...it was the merger of the ABA into the NBA that changed everything, so i'm gonna concede a lil bit.

« Reply #1741 on: April 19, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Cousy is a terrible example, unlike most guards of the time he would use the left hand very heavily. Also could finish with both. IIRC, he was ambidextrous because he broke his right wrist or arm when he was in high-school and played a season with a cast on. Watch those famous final seconds of the 1972 finals and see how comfortable Cousy was dribbling with his off-hand. When it was necessary he would do it. Dribbling was just different those days, different rules, different role in the game.

Robert Williams is always spaced out. Reminds of Patrick O'Bryant. Hasn't looked like a good prospect so far.

« Reply #1742 on: June 21, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Playing time expectations with Baynes (and reportedly Horford) gone?

I’ll go with 8-10 mins

« Reply #1743 on: June 21, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Playing time expectations with Baynes (and reportedly Horford) gone?

I’ll go with 8-10 mins
28-32 minutes a game....in Maine.

« Reply #1744 on: June 30, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Free Timelord!

« Reply #1745 on: June 30, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
They got to take a good look at Tacko. He's huge and has a lot of learning smarts.

This team right now has no bigs, except for Williams and Tacko. Wow.

« Reply #1746 on: June 30, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Free Timelord!

I’m onboard. Even if as a backup, I want him getting at least 20-25 minutes a game.

« Reply #1747 on: July 01, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
[Boston.com] Grant Willimas on Robert Williams: "Rob's my guy. I met him playing in the SEC. He's a vocal player. He's doing a great job communicating and getting guys to understand not only the system but also coverages. He's doing a great job of leading right now."

https://twitter.com/BDCCeltics/status/1145783173890158592

« Reply #1748 on: July 01, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Robert appears to have acquired a gameface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCR8Gv1Fdg

« Reply #1749 on: July 01, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Any chance we can get a 2019-20 Timelord thread? It seems only fair to the guy - what if he plays here for 10 years, we will be up over 1000 pages!  :o

Cool info on Grant/Robert. If there was anything I was sure about after hearing Grant speak for the first time, it was that he was going to be an awesome teammate. Nice to hear a shout-out to Robert's communication style.

« Reply #1750 on: July 01, 2019, 08:52:56 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I read somewhere that he's been at the Celtics practice facility every morning at 6 am.  Hopefully, he can make a second year jump.

« Reply #1751 on: July 01, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I read somewhere that he's been at the Celtics practice facility every morning at 6 am.  Hopefully, he can make a second year jump.
hopefully, but it seemed to me that his biggest problem is mental, not physical. he had trouble playing defense within the team's defensive schemes.

we shall see. he will get minutes this year for sure.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1752 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
hopefully, but it seemed to me that his biggest problem is mental, not physical. he had trouble playing defense within the team's defensive schemes.

To be fair, playing NBA defense as a rookie center is quite difficult, as is playing point guard on offense, because you have responsibility for everyone as the communicator, and not just yourself, so there’s much more the think about and be aware of..  I didn’t expect much of him last year, because he was a rookie big.  Hopefully this year he will take a step forward.  That he’s taken on that role of telling his teammates where to be, even in only a summer league practice, is a positive sign.

« Reply #1753 on: July 01, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Robert appears to have acquired a gameface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCR8Gv1Fdg

I liked his interview.  Seems like he is ready to go to work and try to carve out some minutes for himself.  If he can progress to where he can give us 15 min / game that would be huge.

« Reply #1754 on: July 01, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Heard Greg Dickerson on sports radio today and he said Williams is a knucklehead and not very smart. Its Greg Dickerson so who knows if that is true, but, you have to think Dickerson might have had the chance to be around him and know, so maybe there is something to this.

If you aren't very bright, you are going to need longer to learn everything you need to to develop at a good rate. Look at James Young. By all accounts a decent talent but not the brightest bulb in the package. He couldn't learn the sets and now he is out of the NBA.

Just hope Dickerson is just being his usual over the top dolt that he always is and Williams is just fine and will learn at a better rate than last year where he looked like he learned very little.