Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison  (Read 55749 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
And if you go with Balkman Im very confident in Hakim Warricks ability to matchup on him
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Philly --

B. Davis and Melo both are the center of their respective offenses in LAC an DEN who's the go-to guy? any concerns about them sharing the ball?

Melo took a big step forward last year, I think in large part to Chauncey Billups' leadership (shout-out to 08-09 CBD Orlando MAgics PG! :)) I"m curious if he doesn't regress a bit on this philly team. Disucss

The East is stocked with wings -- including Melo -- the West has more big men. Can, after an 82 game season, you make it through to the finals and win with a relatively short (# of players, not height) big man rotation?
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Haha Bynum isnt exactly the swiftest person on the court, and I have seen KG run the court better than most big men in the league so I would say yes we can keep up,

Also check out KGs stats against Charlotte...

Okafor - 11.3ppg, 11rpg, 60%FG, 2blks, abotu what he averages
KG against Charlotte: 12ppg, 8rpg, 36%FG...That's in 40minutes too.

Wasnt okafor playing the 5 in those games? It wouldent make sense for Okafor to be matched up on KG.  And if you plan on matching him up on KG in our game I say go for, KG draws one of your best shot blockers away from the basket, Faces him up and abuses him

Garcia vs Brewer...8ppg in 4 games against Ronnie Brewer while Brewers average jumped to 18ppg.

He can have fun drawing him out Bynum blocks just as many shots as Okafor.

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Haha Bynum isnt exactly the swiftest person on the court, and I have seen KG run the court better than most big men in the league so I would say yes we can keep up,

Wasnt okafor playing the 5 in those games? It wouldent make sense for Okafor to be matched up on KG.  And if you plan on matching him up on KG in our game I say go for, KG draws one of your best shot blockers away from the basket, Faces him up and abuses him

Garcia vs Brewer...8ppg in 4 games against Ronnie Brewer while Brewers average jumped to 18ppg.

I think you make a fair point here, this year Garcia did take a step back because he was one of the primary options on a very bad Sacremento team that lost its leading scorer to injury.  This made Garcia one of the primary scoring options which he isnt comfortable with.  On Toronto he will be the 4th or 5th scoring option in the starting lineup.  I think this will allow him to excell.  And again on a team with almost no help defense behind him it is expected that Brewers scoring average jumped.  Infact, find me any decent scorer whos average didnt go up against the kings this year ;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Philly --

B. Davis and Melo both are the center of their respective offenses in LAC an DEN who's the go-to guy? any concerns about them sharing the ball?

Melo took a big step forward last year, I think in large part to Chauncey Billups' leadership (shout-out to 08-09 CBD Orlando MAgics PG! :)) I"m curious if he doesn't regress a bit on this philly team. Disucss

The East is stocked with wings -- including Melo -- the West has more big men. Can, after an 82 game season, you make it through to the finals and win with a relatively short (# of players, not height) big man rotation?

Davis is a leader there is no doubt about it, we saw Carmelo come around with another strong leader in Billups come to Denver, we definitely think they can co-exist.  I think shown the stats Davis (while being very clutch himself) can concede Melo is one of the more clutch players in the game.  Concerning the number of big men in our rotation, playoff basketball is much different than the regular season, teams playing less guys and people getting more minutes.  Davis is our oldest starter at 30 and everyone else is under 26.  They will be able to handle their share of extended minutes.  Also we feel our big men are skilled and quantity won't overcome quality.

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Toronto ---

Can Garcia at 6-7 really stay with SGs like Mayo, Wade, Rip Hamilton, Ray, etc, for 30 min/gm?

We're of course all hopefull that KG is back 100%, if he's not how far can you go?

Any concerns about offensive production over the course of the season? Miller, ARtest, KG are all complimentary offensive weapons. is this a reincarnation of those dreadful CLE teams that Andre Miller in the mid-90s?

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker

I think you make a fair point here, this year Garcia did take a step back because he was one of the primary options on a very bad Sacremento team that lost its leading scorer to injury.  This made Garcia one of the primary scoring options which he isnt comfortable with.  On Toronto he will be the 4th or 5th scoring option in the starting lineup.  I think this will allow him to excell.  And again on a team with almost no help defense behind him it is expected that Brewers scoring average jumped.  Infact, find me any decent scorer whos average didnt go up against the kings this year ;)

So with Garcia being the 4th option instead of maybe the first or second his ppg should go from 8ppg to about 2ppg?  ;)

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Don ---

how is voting  working this year? have you said?

A suggestion if its still up in the air --- a weighted system where we rank the 5 teams

1st = 5 pts
2nd = 4 pts...

so on.

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Again, KG is a primary scoring option in this league, see the celtics in the playoffs when they won the championship as he was their leading scorer, as well as their leading 4th quarter scorer.  

I believe that Garcia can stay with those players, and when he does get blown by its an aweful nice luxury having two defensive players of the year and shot blockers defending the basket.  And also I think his height will be a great asset at bothering the outside shots of players like Rip and Ray.  

If KG is not back at 100% obviously we will probably struggle, we believe Warrick is a very good backup and if need be we could move Z to the center position and Camby at the 4.  However, by the same token, how far would your team go without lebron? I am taking peoples word for it that KG's knee is ok, and if it isnt we will adress our team at that point and make adjustments accordingly

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

So with Garcia being the 4th option instead of maybe the first or second his ppg should go from 8ppg to about 2ppg?  ;)

You could look at it like that I guess, I would think that because other teams cant key on him I think he will score more.  As you said, you are going to be double teaming Garnett.  As celtics fans we know how good of a passer Garnett is and if you double him I assume it would be of Artest or Garcia both of whom had good years from beyond the arc last year to make you pay. 

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Nets

Depth chart/roster
PG Derek Fisher
SG Courtney Lee
SF Paul Pierce
PF Elton Brand
C Rasheed Wallace
6th James Posey
7th Drew Gooden
8th Beno Udrih
9th Shannon Brown
10th Eddy Curry
11th Kwame Brown
12th Bill Walker
13th Matt Carroll
14th Patrick Ewing, Jr.

PG - 3 proven, capable points.  Both Fisher and Udrih can run a team.  While no stars here, we have solid players and depth.  Shannon Brown played big in the playoffs, but with Fisher and Beno, he'll see more time at the 2, but can definitely move back to the point if we need him.
1. Derek Fisher
2. Beno Udrih
3. Shannon Brown

SG - Lee will shine this year, also with 4 veterans starting with him there won't be much pressure, he can just focus on what he does best and let the game come to him.  Shannon Brown played huge in the playoffs, plan as using him as more of just a guard, rather than defined as a 1 or 2, and may even pressure Lee for the starting spot.  Matt Carroll can come in for shooting, Bill Walker for energy, but neither should see regular rotation minutes.  Pierce may even see some 2 if we go big.
1. Courtney Lee
2. Shannon Brown
3. Matt Carroll
4. Bill Walker

SF - Pierce is the main man here.  If Paul got 30 minutes a night and Posey got 18 (in the regular season) we'd be doing fine (and both have proven to be durable throughout their carrers) .  Walker may get a few chances and spot minutes but will have to work hard to crack the rotation.  Ewing will be in the D-League, but may got a shot with if there are any injuries
1. Paul Pierce
2. James Posey
3. Bill Walker
4. Patrick Ewing, Jr.

PF - Brand doesn't have the wear of most players, so 35 minutes a night will be no problem, but with a guy capable of startin in Drew Gooden behind him, he may see closer to 30 minutes.  Posey will see time when we go small and to cover the 4's who play outside (Dirk, Rashard, etc.).  Brand and Gooden can cover the bangers and Posey can cover the shooters.  Kwame Brown as the 4th big, anything he provides will be gravy, he definitely has the size and skill to be a good backup big.
1. Elton Brand
2. Drew Gooden
3. James Posey
4. Kwame Brown

C - Sheed is going to be the starting Center.  With Brand/Gooden at the PF spot, Sheed will compliment them perfectly.  Sheed can handle guys who can bang, but can also cover more perimiter oriented guys, and he's an inside/outside threat.  The knock on Sheed lately has been he stays out on the periminter too much, but with Brand playing down low at the 4, it won't be a problem if Sheed plays outside and stretches the floor.  Curry will flourish as a backup in our half court game, and can definitely match up with the low post beasts.  Again anything that Kwame Brown gives us is gravy, he definitely has the size and skill to be a good backup big.  Even if both Curry and Kwame are lazy and unproductive we're still fine with Wallace and Gooden (but a little small), but we're playing the odds that one of Curry and Kwame will be motivated and healthy enough to be a very good backup C.  Best case scenario, Curry comes back and plays like he did in '07 (a realistic possibility) and then he could even start and we move Sheed to the bench backing up the 4/5 giving us a whole lot od depth down low.
1. Rasheed Wallace
2. Eddy Curry
3. Kwame Brown
4. Drew Gooden

Winning Experience:
Derek Fisher - 4 rings, 6 Finals appearances
Courtney Lee - 1 Finals appearance
Paul Pierce - 1 ring
Rasheed Wallace - 1 ring, 2 Finals appearances.
James Posey - 2 rings
Beno Udrih - 2 rings
Shannon Brown - 1 ring, 2 Finals appearances

Strategy/Philosphy
8 rings and 16 Finals appearances spread out on 7 different rotation players.  We may be old, but I have proven winners.  And unlike some teams that are in more of a NBA 2k or Live mindset, this isn't a video game team and my players actually fit together well with a clear pecking order.   Pierce and Brand are the main scoring options and Sheed is third.  We're not asking anybody to come off the bench or play a role that they aren't already accustomed to. I have shooters, slashers, and low post threats providing a good balance.  We'll be using a half court, normal tempo offense.  I feel like I have good depth, and plan on limiting Pierce's minutes to around 30 per game, and Sheed and Fisher to about 28 for the regular season.  My biggest question mark is at Center, now we can go smaller at the Center position with Sheed as the starter and Drew Gooden as the backup and still compete, but if Eddy Curry can come back healthy and produce than we definitely have depth at the Center position and can match up with anybody in the league, also as much as most of us don't like Kwame Brown, he's definitely capable of being one of the best 2nd or 3rd string C in the league.   If Curry produces we're looking at a 10 man rotation, if not, then more of a 9 man rotation.  Like real life Boston/San Antonio our goal is a championship now, and we think our veterans can get us there.

Strengths:
Veteran experience.  Championship experience. (8 rings, 16 Finals appearances).
Youth that can play/grow/develop while veterans lead (Courtney Lee, Shannon Brown)
Well defined roles, with players who have accepted these roles in real life.  (Scoring options: 1/2 Pierce/Brand, 3. Sheed, 4/5 Fisher/Lee)
A strong inside/out low post presence on both offense and defense (Brand/Curry/Gooden can play down low Posey can play outside when at the 4, Sheed can play both)
Strong defenders (Brand, Sheed, Posey, Lee are all known for strong defense).
Strong Offense
   Shooting (Pierce, Lee, Fisher, Posey, Sheed, Carroll - all 40% threats from downtown)
   Driving (Pierce)
   Low Post (Brand, Sheed, Gooden, Curry)

Question Marks/Weaknesses
Is the team too old? Nobody is saying my guys can't play, but just that they're too old.  We're not looking at any of the "old" guys to play a lot of minutes (ideally kept around 30).  And the only really old guys are Sheed and Fisher, and they have good depth at their positions and aren't being looked at to carry the loads.  Nobody is saying this years real life Spurs or Celtics are too old (and Jef has them meeting in the Finals this year).  If real life Spurs and C's are championship contenders, than so is this team.

Can Sheed stay motivated?  Sheed flourished in Detroit when there was leadership (in Billups) and had support down low (in Ben Wallace).  Sheed didn't due so good when there was a lack of leadership/defined roles (is Rip starting, is AI starting, who's the main man?) and had a revolving door of players around him (is Amir/McDyess/Maxiell/Kwame playing next to him?)  With Pierce in charge, Brand in the trenches next to him, and a steady hand in Fisher, Sheed will play like an All Star.

Can Curry stay healthy and produce?  Our half court style offense will suit Curry, and anything he can give us is just gravy.  Being the backup Center, and also having other big man options there will be no pressure, and if he doesn't play/produce we're still a very formilable team.  No pressure = health and production.

I truly see us as a championship contender.  Are you seriously telling me you'd want to face this veteran team in the playoffs?  We're like the real life San Antonio Spurs, most people sleep on them, because they're stacked with veterans and don't have the the super marketable stars, but nobody wants to play them and they always seem to win.  

(FYI - I have a somewhat busy day at work, so any questions/criticism/responeses may not come till much later in the day).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Toronto:  who covers D. Wade?  Can Garcia keep up?

Specifically, how do you match up with Boston, position by position and overall?  (Since Jsaad isn't here yet, I figured I would help him out with some very basic questions.)

Also, does the lack of a true post scorer hurt your team?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker

You could look at it like that I guess, I would think that because other teams cant key on him I think he will score more.  As you said, you are going to be double teaming Garnett.  As celtics fans we know how good of a passer Garnett is and if you double him I assume it would be of Artest or Garcia both of whom had good years from beyond the arc last year to make you pay. 

Beware passing out of double teams, my team plays the passing lanes very well, and gets a lot of steals.

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
New Jersey:

1) Are you "too old", with Rasheed and Fisher in your starting lineup?

2) Does your team need a "true" small forward off the bench?  Who can create their own offense on your second unit?

3) Why did you several times pick the guys Portland was targeting?  ;)

4) What's your outlook on Brand's health, and how should teams factor that in when voting for you?

5) How do you match up with the other teams in your division?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Toronto:  who covers D. Wade?  Can Garcia keep up?

Specifically, how do you match up with Boston, position by position and overall?  (Since Jsaad isn't here yet, I figured I would help him out with some very basic questions.)

Also, does the lack of a true post scorer hurt your team?

In terms of covering Wade, I think we will rotate between Garcia and Finley.  And at the begining of the game double off of Alston.  If Alston can hit his shots that day we will have to stop doubling but I have seen Alston run his team into the ground enough to let him shoot all day if he cant hit his first few.  

Lacking a true post scorer could hurt our team but I dont think it will be an issue.  Right now, what players are really, "True Post Scorers."  The most dominant big man in the game right now has no post moves to speak of.  And that team made it to the finals.  But we do have players that can play with their back to the basket in KG and Z who both have no problem getting their shots off over shorter defenders.  And we also see this outside shooting from our bigs as an advantage especially in our division because it takes the shot blockers out of the paint for guys like miller, artest, barea and warick to do work in the paint