Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 430725 times)

blink, jambr380, hpantazo, 86MaxwellSmart, j804, Silas and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2023, 06:34:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Speak of the devil....

Arrest warrant issued again for Hornets forward Miles Bridges

By Jessica Allen, wsoctv.com and Glenn Counts, wsoctv.com
October 11, 2023 at 6:11 pm EDT

CHARLOTTE — An arrest warrant has been issued for Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges, and it’s related to a prior domestic violence incident. However, the situation didn’t involve any new allegations of physical violence -- it’s related to the violation of a protective order, according to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office and the county clerk of court.

The warrant goes back to January. But because deputies have been unable to serve it, Channel 9 has not been able to get a look at it.

It comes while the 25-year-old is still on probation for a felony charge of injuring a child’s parent last year.

A criminal summons has also been issued for Bridges, which came out Wednesday. Once again, because it has not been served, it’s not public record, so we have not been able to get a copy of it.

The corresponding police report indicated that the victim’s windshield was smashed in and that her protective order was violated by Bridges’ appearance. The incident happened at her residence.

The victim in question is Bridges’ longtime girlfriend. The pair has several children and is in the middle of a custody battle.

In the past, Bridges’ girlfriend has reportedly defended him and has said that he’s not an abuser.

Bridges pleaded no contest in November 2022 to the charge, which stemmed from accusations that he assaulted the mother of his children in front of them. He was sentenced to three years of probation, and he also must adhere to a 10-year criminal protective order for the victim, weekly narcotics and marijuana testing, and restitution for the victim, the district attorney’s office said.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2023, 06:44:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Mav’s lose to Real Madrid 123-127…Wow.

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campazzo with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.

Dallas looks set for a BAD season.

I actually like their top two but their supporting cast is all wrong. Too many young ones. Too many non-defender veteran role players (T Hardaway, Kleber). They are in trouble.

Another missed playoffs looks likely.

They shot themselves in the foot when they traded for Kyrie, then they doubled down on it. Beginning of the end for Luka's time in Dallas. Still, can't dump on them for losing a game where Luka played 5 minutes total and Kyrie didn't even play.

I don’t care if Luka and Kyrie didn’t play, they just lost to Euroleague team that features Gerschon Yabuselle and Vincent Poirier. They have zero NBA caliber players. That’s just embarrassing.

I didn't see the game but it seems like a pretty bad indication if DAL supporting cast after Luka and Kyrie is no better than a EuroLeague team.
you take the 2 best players off of most teams and I'm not sure they are better than a Euroleague team.  I mean how good is Denver without Jokic and Murray or the Lakers without Lebron and Davis or the Bucks without Giannis and Lillard.  Heck even the deeper teams like Boston aren't going to be very good without Tatum and Brown or the Warriors without Curry and Klay.  It isn't just losing the 2 best players either it is losing basically your team identity, the offensive engines that make the whole thing work, etc.

We are talking about a team full of NBA players. I expect KCP, MPJ, A-Gordon, Christian Braun and Reggie Jackson to beat a Euroleague team. Same goes for Middleton, Portis,  B-Lopez,  Beasley, and Payne.
I think that might just mean you don't watch a lot of Euroleague?

Are Euroleague teams regularly beating NBA teams? Just looked through some of the scores from last years preseason and the Non-NBA teams were getting blown out every game.
The gap gets smaller every year, and that Dallas roster doesn't exactly inspire confidence, as you say.

That said, it's pre-season - I think we all know better than to read too much into the tea leaves.
the game was also in Spain and I'd bet a lot of people would recognize a whole bunch of names on Real Madrid, which isn't the case with the New Zealand Breakers or Cairns Taipans. And Real Madrid has beaten NBA teams in the preseason before. In fact, Luka was on the team the last time the NBA played a game there.  The Thunder's starting 5 in that game was Westbrook, Oladipo, Roberson, Sabonis, and Adams. And Ilyasova and Freedom were on the bench (among others). Luka played 18 minutes and scored 3 points for RM (luka was 17 at the time).  Rudy Fernandez and Andres Nocioni are the only other 2 NBA guys on that roster, yet Real won 142-137.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campazzo with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.

I actually like their top two but their supporting cast is all wrong. Too many young ones. Too many non-defender veteran role players (T Hardaway, Kleber). They are in trouble.

They shot themselves in the foot when they traded for Kyrie, then they doubled down on it. Beginning of the end for Luka's time in Dallas. Still, can't dump on them for losing a game where Luka played 5 minutes total and Kyrie didn't even play.

I don’t care if Luka and Kyrie didn’t play, they just lost to Euroleague team that features Gerschon Yabuselle and Vincent Poirier. They have zero NBA caliber players. That’s just embarrassing.

I didn't see the game but it seems like a pretty bad indication if DAL supporting cast after Luka and Kyrie is no better than a EuroLeague team.
you take the 2 best players off of most teams and I'm not sure they are better than a Euroleague team.  I mean how good is Denver without Jokic and Murray or the Lakers without Lebron and Davis or the Bucks without Giannis and Lillard.  Heck even the deeper teams like Boston aren't going to be very good without Tatum and Brown or the Warriors without Curry and Klay.  It isn't just losing the 2 best players either it is losing basically your team identity, the offensive engines that make the whole thing work, etc.

Yeah, I mean, look at this past summer's world basketball tournament. The US/NBA teams are not head and shoulders above european teams anymore, certainly not if you take away the two best players from NBA teams.

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2023, 07:13:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Yeah, I mean, look at this past summer's world basketball tournament. The US/NBA teams are not head and shoulders above european teams anymore, certainly not if you take away the two best players from NBA teams.

Those FIBA teams have NBA players.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2023, 08:22:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Germany had 4 NBA players, none of which are all stars and only 2 of which are a starter level player or better (F Wagner and Schroder - the other 2 were M Wagner and Theis).  Serbia had only 2 , Jovic (who barely played for the Heat as a rookie) and Bogdan (a solid scorer off the bench for the Hawks these days).

I don't think you have a real grasp of the skill level of the top level European teams.

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2023, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Germany had 4 NBA players, none of which are all stars and only 2 of which are a starter level player or better (F Wagner and Schroder - the other 2 were M Wagner and Theis).  Serbia had only 2 , Jovic (who barely played for the Heat as a rookie) and Bogdan (a solid scorer off the bench for the Hawks these days).

I don't think you have a real grasp of the skill level of the top level European teams.

Sure, the FIBA teams are good. Just not convinced that any NBA squad should be losing to a team that has Guerschon Yabusele as their best player.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure, the FIBA teams are good. Just not convinced that any NBA squad should be losing to a team that has Guerschon Yabusele as their best player.
Yabu isn't Real's best player. He doesn't even start normally but Deck didn't play yesterday.

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2023, 09:08:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

slightly off topic but it will be interesting to see how much more international talent gets pulled to the nba with the two (expected) expansion franchises coming soon. part of the reason i've been in favor of expansion for a while now is that the talent pool is larger than most realize. the nba will probably take in about a dozen of the top 20-25 non-nba talents when this happens.

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Speak of the devil....

CHARLOTTE — An arrest warrant has been issued for Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges, and it’s related to a prior domestic violence incident. However, the situation didn’t involve any new allegations of physical violence -- it’s related to the violation of a protective order, according to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office and the county clerk of court.

The warrant goes back to January. But because deputies have been unable to serve it, Channel 9 has not been able to get a look at it.

It comes while the 25-year-old is still on probation for a felony charge of injuring a child’s parent last year.

A criminal summons has also been issued for Bridges, which came out Wednesday. Once again, because it has not been served, it’s not public record, so we have not been able to get a copy of it.

The corresponding police report indicated that the victim’s windshield was smashed in and that her protective order was violated by Bridges’ appearance. The incident happened at her residence.

The victim in question is Bridges’ longtime girlfriend. The pair has several children and is in the middle of a custody battle.

In the past, Bridges’ girlfriend has reportedly defended him and has said that he’s not an abuser.

Bridges pleaded no contest in November 2022 to the charge, which stemmed from accusations that he assaulted the mother of his children in front of them. He was sentenced to three years of probation, and he also must adhere to a 10-year criminal protective order for the victim, weekly narcotics and marijuana testing, and restitution for the victim, the district attorney’s office said.

So, does his probation get violated, with him seeing time in jail?  Or, does this one just go away with a slap on the wrist, too?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2023, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Speak of the devil....

So, does his probation get violated, with him seeing time in jail?  Or, does this one just go away with a slap on the wrist, too?

I'm guessing the latter.

The guy is a piece of $hit.

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Speak of the devil....

I'm guessing the latter.

The guy is a piece of $hit.

Yep.  Charlotte just needs to move on.  You can't surround Ball and Miller with terrible locker room influencers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is pretty wild.

StatMuse
@statmuse
Most wins by decade:

60s — Bill Russell
70s — Paul Silas
80s — Michael Cooper
90s — Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen
00s — Tim Duncan
10s — LeBron James
20s — Georges Niang

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2023, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is pretty wild.

StatMuse
@statmuse
Most wins by decade:

60s — Bill Russell
70s — Paul Silas
80s — Michael Cooper
00s — Tim Duncan
10s — LeBron James
20s — Georges Niang

Literally made me chuckle out loud.

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2023, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Cooper and Silas is really fascinating.  Obviously I don't think Niang stays there (probably will be Tatum when all is said and done).

Malone and Pippen having the same amount of wins is also nuts, but I would have expected them to be both at or near the top. 

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2023, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This is pretty wild.

StatMuse
@statmuse
Most wins by decade:

60s — Bill Russell
70s — Paul Silas
80s — Michael Cooper
00s — Tim Duncan
10s — LeBron James
20s — Georges Niang

Putting all those guys in the same list as Georges Niang is disrespectful to him

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller