Author Topic: Half baked trade idea  (Read 10085 times)

Re: Half baked trade idea
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Smart was also struggling with a major injury last season which obviously affected his quickness. I don't think a condensed and injury riddled season should be used to condemn him as being on the decline especially when he's 27. Also the ENTIRE defense for the Celtics was bad, not just Marcus Smart.
Yes, this is fair. The point I am trying to make is more about his long term role and how well he figures to age defensively. Rather than writing him off right now. More about how is he going to age into his 30s and whether he is someone we should tie ourselves to and for how long.

I spoke (wrote) about some of the defensive concerns but the offensive limitations are a big concern too. His inconsistent outside shooting will become more of an issue as he loses quickness as he ages and gets less easier attempts closer to the basket and is forced to rely more on outside shots.

Last year may indeed have been more about injuries but it was a reminder or glimpse of what type of concerns we should have about Smart long term.

And his propensity to get injured only adds to concerns about premature or earlier than normal declines in performance levels.

I do wonder if we have already seen the best of Smart and how many high quality years he has left in him.

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2021, 05:50:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Well I'll worry about Smart's decline when he's in his 30s though I do agree if Brad is to trade him, the time would be now.

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2021, 07:18:36 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It is actually interesting, if the 76ers attempt to move Ben Simmons, the Celtics might actually have one of the best packages to obtain him.

If you look at every teams assets and needs, there aren't many options for Daryl Morey.

Nets - Won't trade for him
Bucks- Don't need him
Knicks- Don't have the assets
Hawks- No need for him
Heat- Don't have the assets or need
Wizards- Won't give up Beal for him
Pacers- Simmons won't go there
Hornets- No trade assets
Bulls- LaVine? probably say no
Raptors- Maybe a S & T with Lowry and OG/Siakam?
Cavs- No
Magic- No
Pistons- No
Jazz- No need
Suns- No need
Nuggets- No need
Clippers- No extra assets
Mavericks- No assets
Trail Blazers- CJ for Simmons? Doesn't improve them
Lakers- No assets
Grizzlies- No need
Warriors- bad fit
Spurs- No assets
Pelicans- bad fit
Kings- Not going
T-Wolves- bad fit
Thunder- No
Rockets- No
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It is actually interesting, if the 76ers attempt to move Ben Simmons, the Celtics might actually have one of the best packages to obtain him.

If you look at every teams assets and needs, there aren't many options for Daryl Morey.

Nets - Won't trade for him
Bucks- Don't need him
Knicks- Don't have the assets
Hawks- No need for him
Heat- Don't have the assets or need
Wizards- Won't give up Beal for him
Pacers- Simmons won't go there
Hornets- No trade assets
Bulls- LaVine? probably say no
Raptors- Maybe a S & T with Lowry and OG/Siakam?
Cavs- No
Magic- No
Pistons- No
Jazz- No need
Suns- No need
Nuggets- No need
Clippers- No extra assets
Mavericks- No assets
Trail Blazers- CJ for Simmons? Doesn't improve them
Lakers- No assets
Grizzlies- No need
Warriors- bad fit
Spurs- No assets
Pelicans- bad fit
Kings- Not going
T-Wolves- bad fit
Thunder- No
Rockets- No
This seems like a pretty unrealistic assessment of other teams and what they can offer. Firstly, given Simmons is contracted for 4 years it doesn't matter at all where he wants to go, as you've written for Indy and Sacramento.
Then you've listed teams like Golden State and Minnesota as bad fits even though on paper they'd be awesome fits.
And then you've just written "no" for a few teams despite them possessing some tradeable assets.

Really not sure you've fully thought through the options for Morey.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
The whole premise of this trade is kind of off. Why would two teams who are conceivably vying for the eastern conference and both conceivably close make this trade?

Simmons seems like a west coast type of guy. Or could NOP be a target if Lonzo lands elsewhere?

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He kinda sucks ……he does little to help them win ……he disappears and makes Dwight Howard look like a free throw champion .  weak mentally….obviously…….low motor ……low emotion. ….awful shooter……he has been league long enough to improve ….poor work ethic …..does zero to improve .   he practically is the same since he came into the league shooting or is actually worse.

Let the loser be LaKer

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2021, 10:34:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I saw an interesting trade being tossed around northern Ohio

Love, Garland or Sexton, 3 for Simmons, Maxey, Milton, 28, 22 1st

Some variation of that actually makes sense for both teams (Sixers choice on who they want regarding Garland or Sexton)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I heard on the 98.5 that Nets management is not happy with Kyrie. Obviously, a trade idea like this would have to be "approved" by Durant. This past season, may have shown Durant just how unreliable Kyrie was to the team.

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I heard on the 98.5 that Nets management is not happy with Kyrie. Obviously, a trade idea like this would have to be "approved" by Durant. This past season, may have shown Durant just how unreliable Kyrie was to the team.

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving
interesting.  would love to see how Kyrie reacts to Philly fans if he couldn't take the heat in Boston. 

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving
interesting.  would love to see how Kyrie reacts to Philly fans if he couldn't take the heat in Boston.

If it did happen, the Nets front court would be Durant (6'10"), Simmons (6'11"), and Jordan (6'11"). BTW, Durant and Simmons are ultra unique big men with their size in how they can move like guards. And their both good defenders, especially Simmons.

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

If it did happen, the Nets front court would be Durant (6'10"), Simmons (6'11"), and Jordan (6'11"). BTW, Durant and Simmons are ultra unique big men with their size in how they can move like guards. And their both good defenders, especially Simmons.
That would be trouble. There'd be no pressure on Simmons to shoot next to Harden and Durant, which is good for him.

However, Simmons would have to take a major backseat in terms of usage
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

That would be trouble. There'd be no pressure on Simmons to shoot next to Harden and Durant, which is good for him.

But with two major usage guys, would Simmons, who thrives with the ball in his hands and is a liability as a shooter when others are dominating the ball even be a player Brooklyn would look at if they were trading Kyrie? If Kyrie is being moved, I gotta think a star that can shoot has to be coming back. Or a genuine high quality center.

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

But with two major usage guys, would Simmons, who thrives with the ball in his hands and is a liability as a shooter when others are dominating the ball even be a player Brooklyn would look at if they were trading Kyrie? If Kyrie is being moved, I gotta think a star that can shoot has to be coming back. Or a genuine high quality center.
I think Simmons would be fantastic there because of what he offers defensively and his low post passing ability. A starting 5 of Harden, Harris, Durant, Simmons, Griffin is nasty.  They could even more easily bring back Dinwiddie since there are clear back-up PG minutes available and he could certainly also play with Harden (whereas with both Irving and Harden, I don't think Dinwiddie comes back). 

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

I think Simmons would be fantastic there because of what he offers defensively and his low post passing ability. A starting 5 of Harden, Harris, Durant, Simmons, Griffin is nasty.  They could even more easily bring back Dinwiddie since there are clear back-up PG minutes available and he could certainly also play with Harden (whereas with both Irving and Harden, I don't think Dinwiddie comes back).

Simmons would be fantastic on any team that isn't asking him to carry the load offensively and has shooters. You just can't tie up all the money he makes on a team that doesn't have those conditions.

If you're relying on him to put up points, you've lost. And Philly does depend on him too much.

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving

Simmons would be fantastic on any team that isn't asking him to carry the load offensively and has shooters. You just can't tie up all the money he makes on a team that doesn't have those conditions.

If you're relying on him to put up points, you've lost. And Philly does depend on him too much.
I agree.  I've said many times that Philly's biggest problem is Harris isn't a good enough 2nd scorer (and lead guy without Embiid).  They need him to be the 3rd offensive option, not 2nd.