Author Topic: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?  (Read 108426 times)

Re: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Sure there are cliques and more frequent conversations between the more frequent posters. But who cares?

Just keep posting. You'll get some responses. There are a lot of good observations/opinions on this site. Ultimately we are all united in our love for the Boston Celtics.

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't really have anything to add right now, but I just picked up 4 really quick and easy Tommy Points by contributing to this thread.  So, I figured I'd try my luck again.  

If this post is serious then it proves my points.  Celtics18 gets four tommy points...but I've gotten none on this thread.  I'm not crying about it.  I don't care about stupid TPs.  But it shows that people respond much more so to those they know and praise them too.

If it's sarcastic then it was pointless.
His post actually directly asked for boatloads of TPs, generally you get TPs when you ask for them, play a game, or tickle some posters fancies. I generally don't give them out all that often. His post was just a lighthearted comment in the thread, as was his second post.

If you don't care, why are you very aware of your tp total?

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This isn't about hurt feelings or lost self-worth due to being ignored as others have suggested.  It is about building an inclusive online community that promotes dialogue.  The quality of the post should matter more than the quantity of posts.   When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

Just curious, but exactly what do you mean about posters being ignored? Do they start threads that never get responded to? Do threads die after they make a post because nobody else visits the thread?

The fact that this thread is at six pages long and counting proves two things.   One, that posters are not completely ignored here since this has gotten lots of interest.  And two, there are posters on this thread that agree with the original question....Are high volume posters more likely to reply to other high volume posters who they 'know.' 

This just proves it is a valid issue.  Neither side is 100% right or wrong.  Rather, some people think there are too many ping-pong conversasions where high volume posters respond to each other much more than to others and hand out tommy points to people they know either in real life or via the site.

No one's feelings are hurt by this.  It just creates a crummy environment for new ideas and in my opinion it discourages some new members from sticking with the board.  I don't have stats to back this up cuz I'm not a mod.  But if we weren't allowed to make posts that are unsupported by stats, then 90% of the opinions on this site would never see the light of day.

The issue is certainly not exclusive to celticsblog either.

Again, though, what exactly do you mean by "respond to"? Do people think that others read through threads and only pay attention to the posts of certain people? I don't think that's the case. When I just post in a thread, my post is in response to the topic, not to any individual poster. When I respond by quoting a post, it's either because I'm answering that person who quoted a post of mine or because there's something in that post that I wish to comment on (normally meaning I disagree with what they wrote). It's not personal, in fact I don't always notice the username attached to the post that I quoted.

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't really have anything to add right now, but I just picked up 4 really quick and easy Tommy Points by contributing to this thread.  So, I figured I'd try my luck again.   

If this post is serious then it proves my points.  Celtics18 gets four tommy points...but I've gotten none on this thread.  I'm not crying about it.  I don't care about stupid TPs.  But it shows that people respond much more so to those they know and praise them too.

Wait, so now the person with 400 posts is part of the "in crowd"?  No knock to Celtics18 but I wouldn't call him/her a well-known poster - I don't know him/her, but I gave a TP anyway because the first post made me laugh.  If anything, a low-volume poster getting TPs contradicts what you're saying. 

Out of curiosity, what kind of post here would you take as evidence against your points?  Because I'm not seeing a lot of the connections you're making.

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I don't really have anything to add right now, but I just picked up 4 really quick and easy Tommy Points by contributing to this thread.  So, I figured I'd try my luck again.  

If this post is serious then it proves my points.  Celtics18 gets four tommy points...but I've gotten none on this thread.  I'm not crying about it.  I don't care about stupid TPs.  But it shows that people respond much more so to those they know and praise them too.

Is there irony in this post coming from someone who's post/tp ratio looks like it's roughly 300 times as high as mine?

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

I won't be ignored... :D
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

This isn't about hurt feelings or lost self-worth due to being ignored as others have suggested.  It is about building an inclusive online community that promotes dialogue.  The quality of the post should matter more than the quantity of posts.   When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

Just curious, but exactly what do you mean about posters being ignored? Do they start threads that never get responded to? Do threads die after they make a post because nobody else visits the thread?

The fact that this thread is at six pages long and counting proves two things.   One, that posters are not completely ignored here since this has gotten lots of interest.  And two, there are posters on this thread that agree with the original question....Are high volume posters more likely to reply to other high volume posters who they 'know.' 

This just proves it is a valid issue.  Neither side is 100% right or wrong.  Rather, some people think there are too many ping-pong conversasions where high volume posters respond to each other much more than to others and hand out tommy points to people they know either in real life or via the site.

No one's feelings are hurt by this.  It just creates a crummy environment for new ideas and in my opinion it discourages some new members from sticking with the board.  I don't have stats to back this up cuz I'm not a mod.  But if we weren't allowed to make posts that are unsupported by stats, then 90% of the opinions on this site would never see the light of day.

The issue is certainly not exclusive to celticsblog either.

Honest question, is it an issue or just the way the world works? That when joining a group, you may at first be overlooked because of the routine of established members?

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I gave him a TP because I thought he had a really funny post when he said something to the effect of "I've had 400 posts - each one of them brilliant" which made me laugh.

I wouldn't pay that much attention to Tommy Points (which is ironic for me to say because I believe I started the movement to get rid negative Tommy Points #humblebrag) , I think you'll find more often than not people get them for quick jokes than they do for excellent posts. What you pointed out is a great example - at the very least you've started something that's invoked some serious thoughts spread over 6 threads (and counting), yet Celtics18 got TP's for making a simple David Brent-like joke. And with all due respect to him, clearly you've brought more to the table when it comes to lively/intelligent discussion.

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm a fairly regular poster and I don't think I'm much  influenced by who it is whose comment I'm responding to.  

It also seems as if there is, if anything, less off-topic, insider stuff here than might be expected for a well-established site.

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Got some questions.

I have over 15000 posts but since the beginning of November I have had just 300 posts or less than 2 per day.

Does that make me a low volume poster or a high volume poster? Or am I a low volume poster with a long history or a high volume poster on a sabbatical?

And since people have responded to my posts in this thread, depending on what type of poster I am, what exactly does that prove?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.........

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I won't be ignored... :D

Yes you will...

Doh!

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Got some questions.

I have over 15000 posts but since the beginning of November I have had just 300 posts or less than 2 per day.

Does that make me a low volume poster or a high volume poster? Or am I a low volume poster with a long history or a high volume poster on a sabbatical?

It makes you lazy.

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Will Solomon agrees.

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
And remember

INSIDE JOKES!

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Been waiting for the...."The Internet...Serious Business" pic to come out.