Author Topic: Duke basketball 2018-2019 Watch Thread  (Read 14095 times)

Re: Duke basketball 2018-2019 Watch Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
team is loaded with enough talent this season they could give some bottom-feeder NBA teams a run for their money.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Dwight Howard?

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Wait till he getscto NBA then we see how good he is

Meh, his athleticism is generational. Look at guys like Giannis and Westbrook, two other athletic freaks. They aren’t the most talented basketball players, they are just so athletic they can still dominate. And I think his athleticism clearly trumps theirs, along with seemingly unparalleled power.

His floor is very, very high imo. If he puts in the work and wants to be great, he’s going to be special.
I understand Zion will go first, and I was on the bandwagon back in the summer. However, Duke has yet to play anyone and Zion still hasn't shown he can shoot. He does have a bit of a mid-range game, which is a good start. He really is a freak. I just want to see this team play "someone" so Z can start posterizing people on a game to game basis. Even the announcers made a "cape canaveral" comment on that alley-oop last night. I was hoping we'd have a shot at him, prior to the season, but no one will pass him up now with the 1st pick unless someone just completely goes off the hook. I don't see it happening so we have no shot at getting him. I just hope Philly somehow doesn't get very lucky in the lottery.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Dwight Howard?

Plays nothing like Dwight Howard, so I'm confused?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Duke is so talented, that WoJ is reporting that Durant wants to join the Blue Devil's next year.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure how Zion will fit in the league, but it'll be interesting, that's for sure.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Anybody remember DaJuan Blair?

Zion reminds me of Blair if he had the athleticism of early Blake Griffin.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I always kinda liked Blair, even after his knees turned to jelly. Always thought he was a solid rebounder and defended well for his size
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Would a Zion/williams front court work and be complementary ? That would be a ridiculous athletic front court. The only problem is their lack of shooting but Williams has a decent form from 3 that can be developed

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I always kinda liked Blair, even after his knees turned to jelly. Always thought he was a solid rebounder and defended well for his size

Yeah, I rooted for him to succeed.

And I mean, for a 6'7'' center with no cartilage in his knees, he had a pretty good career.  Played 7 seasons, had some regular season success with the Spurs and played limited minutes for teams that made deep playoff runs, including a Finals run in 2013.  Not bad.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anybody else see Larry Johnson with Zion?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Wait till he getscto NBA then we see how good he is

Meh, his athleticism is generational. Look at guys like Giannis and Westbrook, two other athletic freaks. They aren’t the most talented basketball players, they are just so athletic they can still dominate. And I think his athleticism clearly trumps theirs, along with seemingly unparalleled power.

His floor is very, very high imo. If he puts in the work and wants to be great, he’s going to be special.
I understand Zion will go first, and I was on the bandwagon back in the summer. However, Duke has yet to play anyone and Zion still hasn't shown he can shoot. He does have a bit of a mid-range game, which is a good start. He really is a freak. I just want to see this team play "someone" so Z can start posterizing people on a game to game basis. Even the announcers made a "cape canaveral" comment on that alley-oop last night. I was hoping we'd have a shot at him, prior to the season, but no one will pass him up now with the 1st pick unless someone just completely goes off the hook. I don't see it happening so we have no shot at getting him. I just hope Philly somehow doesn't get very lucky in the lottery.

I guess bludgeoning #2 Kentucky in Kentucky isn’t considered playing someone?

But yeah, he needs to work on his jumper and has plenty of time to do it. He looks like he has a good bball IQ and motor seems there.

This draft looks deep, and a few great prospects can be around when we pick.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

A little bit, but he’s roughly 20 pounds heavier than young Johnson was.  Johnson was pretty athletic prior to his back problems, but I’m not sure he had the nimbleness and first step of Zion, or the passing for that matter.

At the moment it’s off to a rough start we get a top 3 pick.  I think we have to hope the Kings pick is at least the 5 to 10 range and package it with say the Grizzlies pick and Rozier to move up, and see if anyone bites.

The Hawks, Cavs, Suns, maybe Knicks and Bulls look like fixtures for those bottom spots.  Imagine Zion with Ayton on the same team.  Kind of what people were dreaming on with Shaq and Webber before the big trade. Ha

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I told my friend same thing..maybe quicker
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I was against Zion at first cuz I thought he was a better randle, but this guy is different. He is a better Barkley. He is a NFL defensive end that somehow knows how to jump high and play basketball.

Duke listing Zion Williamson at 6-7, 285 pounds. Would make him the 2nd heaviest player in the NBA, behind Boban, who's 7-3, 290,

anyone looking at how many shots he’s taking?. Zion is shooting a ridiculous percentage from the floor something around 80 percent. He’s by far the biggest quickest fastest dude on the floor from what I’ve seen. He’s as much as an anomaly as the Greak Freak

Doesnt matter what level hes playing the will always be the strongest and most athletic player on the floor. He will always have that advantage even in the pros. The bully ball will not stop. People have been assuming that when he got to college that he would get unfavorable matchups and not have enough skill to deal with the athletisism but his skill level is off the charts. Hes the real deal and should go 1st overall because there is theoretically noone that can matchup with him.

In 3 games He's averaging 40.5 points per 40 minutes along with 82% fg!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:39:26 PM by CelticsElite »