Author Topic: Stop shooting pull up threes on the break  (Read 5422 times)

Re: Stop shooting pull up threes on the break
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 12:09:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I am so sick of watching the Celtics shoot pull up threes on the break.

Even Kyrie only hits them 10% of the time. Brad needs to tell them to stop.

Where did you get this information from?

Kyrie Irving is shooting a blistering 40.8% on PUJITS, especially on 3's.... On 2 point attempts, he's averaging 46.8....

This is the one aspect of modern basketball that I hate watching.  Drive for a layup or a kickout on the break, but please don't pull up for a zero pass three.

I agree and disagree. I like pull up jumpers, what I don't like is when players fall in love with PUJITS. Westbrook is one of the worst at it, with 26.2% on 3 attempts.

Thank steph curry for that

Something like the pull up jumper was going to be a frequent staple in today's NBA regardless of whether or not Curry existed... Lillard, Durant, George, and a few others use those shots constantly.

Kyrie is not shooting 40% on pull up threes on fast breaks. Go back and watch the games.

And just so we are clear, I am talking about driving down the floor with the ball and firing up a three on the run.

Where did you get the numbers? We need more proof other than "go back and watch the games"

Then take note of it from now on.
so what you are saying is you pulled the number out of your ass?

Just an estimate from watching every game.

Nice comment, though.
That's an awful estimate.

I trust a guy throwing out a random number as much as metrics that are tossed around without an introduction and weak face validity.

Not a random number.
An estimate from watching every game this year.

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 12:12:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Kyrie Irving is shooting a blistering 40.8% on PUJITS, especially on 3's.... On 2 point attempts, he's averaging 46.8....

This is the one aspect of modern basketball that I hate watching.  Drive for a layup or a kickout on the break, but please don't pull up for a zero pass three.

I agree and disagree. I like pull up jumpers, what I don't like is when players fall in love with PUJITS. Westbrook is one of the worst at it, with 26.2% on 3 attempts.

Something like the pull up jumper was going to be a frequent staple in today's NBA regardless of whether or not Curry existed... Lillard, Durant, George, and a few others use those shots constantly.

Kyrie is not shooting 40% on pull up threes on fast breaks. Go back and watch the games.

And just so we are clear, I am talking about driving down the floor with the ball and firing up a three on the run.

Where did you get the numbers? We need more proof other than "go back and watch the games"

Nice comment, though.

I trust a guy throwing out a random number as much as metrics that are tossed around without an introduction and weak face validity.

Not a random number.

Not my words, but I supported your point.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 12:26:03 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Nice comment, though.

Not a random number.
I'd estimate he's at close to 40%. I've seen all but 3 or 4 games.

He shoots 41% on pull-up 3s
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 12:26:58 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Nice comment, though.

Ok tarheels, do you think he shoots pull up 3s on the break at a 10% rate
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Nice comment, though.

Not a random number.

Who's he? I was talking about the entire team.

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 12:52:15 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Nice comment, though.

Ok tarheels, do you think he shoots pull up 3s on the break at a 10% rate

Of course (intended sarcasm).  But I don't know that I've even heard of how JUVENTUS is measured.  To the user's credit, he suggested that he's not sure either.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 01:19:17 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Nice comment, though.

Not a random number.

Who's he? I was talking about the entire team.
I can't believe I have to link you to the first post in this thread

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 01:43:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I feel like this is just another one of those threads here where people just spend too much time arguing a completely ridiculous point, based off nothing more than "fake news" (in this case made up numbers), and in doing so just end up feeding the troll.

I mean, the whole premise is just nuts, and is easily refuted by a simple check of the actual stats.  By hey, in this age we live in, why bother with actual facts, just make up your own!

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 05:19:48 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I feel like this is just another one of those threads here where people just spend too much time arguing a completely ridiculous point, based off nothing more than "fake news" (in this case made up numbers), and in doing so just end up feeding the troll.

I mean, the whole premise is just nuts, and is easily refuted by a simple check of the actual stats.  By hey, in this age we live in, why bother with actual facts, just make up your own!

TP

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Agreed and TP.

The OP should get negative TPs for this thread. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another to be outright, factually incorrect and then still stupidly insist that somehow they're right.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Agreed and TP.

The OP should get negative TPs for this thread. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another to be outright, factually incorrect and then still stupidly insist that somehow they're right.

I think you just described yourself.

Smart and Rozier firing up threes on fast breaks without squaring up isn't the way to win.

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 09:32:44 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I would say that's an issue of execution, how to take a three and who should take one, not so much a question of whether taking a three on the break is a good idea. Good three point shooters who are open should take three point shots on the break, the stats back that up. Bad three point shooters should not. Right now Terry is shooting well enough that he can take that shot.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I love when Kyrie shoots. I estimate that he averages about 40 points per game. It's just an estimate but until the league starts keeping official stats, there is no way of knowing whether or not I'm right.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Agreed and TP.

I think you just described yourself.

Smart and Rozier firing up threes on fast breaks without squaring up isn't the way to win.

At least theirs has a chance of going in. Your entire argument is an air ball.

10%, indeed.

Every single pull up 3 hits nothing but the bottom of the net. The ones off the rim were just poorly aimed passes.   ;D ;D ;D
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Shoot More Pull-Up 3s on the Break?!
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Nice comment, though.
I watched every game too. Your estimate is wrong. Check actual stats.

Boston has shot 36.2% on pull-up 3’s this year. Btw, that’s 4th in the league.  I don’t know how to sort both early shot clock and pull-ups; but early-offense pull-ups are more likely to be unchallenged.

Kyrie shot better on pull-up 3’s than catch-and-shoot, which is not common: .408 vs. .399

Jaylen has shot .435 on pull-up 3’s, though on only 23 attempts. He’s .357 for c&s.

I won’t go through everyone; suffice it to say that Tatum is much worse off the bounce.

If it’s a question of c&s vs pull-ups, the OP has a point; Boston has shot .378 on c&s 3’s. But that is not true for Kyrie or Brown. Some guys should, some shouldn’t.

I would say that's an issue of execution, how to take a three and who should take one, not so much a question of whether taking a three on the break is a good idea. Good three point shooters who are open should take three point shots on the break, the stats back that up. Bad three point shooters should not. Right now Terry is shooting well enough that he can take that shot.

I agree in general, but I’d have misgivings about Terry taking too many of them. .419 on c&s vs .341 on pull-ups.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:39:30 PM by ThePaintedArea »