Author Topic: Stop shooting pull up threes on the break  (Read 5427 times)

Re: Stop shooting pull up threes on the break
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Not shooting threes on the break?
When you are all alone?

Dražen Petrović is rolling over in his grave!

0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaYejaS26Hk

Petrovic squared up before he shot that three. That is my point. You have to square up to shoot a three properly. Watch Ray Allen. Squared up every single time.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When you are all alone?

Petrovic squared up before he shot that three. That is my point. You have to square up to shoot a three properly. Watch Ray Allen. Squared up every single time.

I get your point. Although, the information about Kyrie is slightly misleading, since Kyrie has generally been one of our best shooters and ball handler on our team. (Also hard to believe Kyrie could ever shoot anything at a 10% clip.)

To consistently hit the pull up 3 in transition or a dribble drive 3 point shot attempt, you need to have good body control, handles, and of course good shooting form.

I, too, get slightly annoyed at how much we rely on our 3 point shots in open space, but I think Stevens is trying to coerce the team into adopting a more simplistic and similar stylistic offensive approach that the Rockets seem to adopt.  They shoot the 3 ball at 36.4 % clip at an ridiculous league leading 42.2 attempts per game! The problem is they share a common singular issue that the Celtics seem to have, and that's being in the lower percentile of averaged APG. (Rockets are 24th in APG, which is pretty underwhelming considering their record is the best in the league as of now.)

I think once you have two consistent ball handlers for first and second unit, the need to pull up 3's versus catch and shoot 3's seems to decrease slightly. (Which is why we brought in Hayward.)

Until someone can consistently step up as the ball handler, the need to take those unnecessary and tough 3's in transition won't go away any time soon. (Also hopefully Hayward's chance to shine as the 2nd main ball handler.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:34:27 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
When you are all alone?

I get your point. Although, the information about Kyrie is slightly misleading, since Kyrie has generally been one of our best shooters and ball handler on our team. (Also hard to believe Kyrie could ever shoot anything at a 10% clip.)

To consistently hit the pull up 3 in transition or a dribble drive 3 point shot attempt, you need to have good body control, handles, and of course good shooting form.

I, too, get slightly annoyed at how much we rely on our 3 point shots in open space, but I think Stevens is trying to coerce the team into adopting a more simplistic and similar stylistic offensive approach that the Rockets seem to adopt.  They shoot the 3 ball at 36.4 % clip at an ridiculous league leading 42.2 attempts per game! The problem is they share a common singular issue that the Celtics seem to have, and that's being in the lower percentile of averaged APG. (Rockets are 24th in APG, which is pretty underwhelming considering their record is the best in the league as of now.)

I think once you have two consistent ball handlers for first and second unit, the need to pull up 3's versus catch and shoot 3's seems to decrease slightly. (Which is why we brought in Hayward.)

Until someone can consistently step up as the ball handler, the need to take those unnecessary and tough 3's in transition won't go away any time soon. (Also hopefully Hayward's chance to shine as the 2nd main ball handler.)

I don't mind threes as long as they are not taken on the run on a fast break.
That is just throwing up a prayer.

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I am so sick of watching the Celtics shoot pull up threes on the break.

Even Kyrie only hits them 10% of the time. Brad needs to tell them to stop.

Where did you get this information from?

Kyrie Irving is shooting a blistering 40.8% on PUJITS, especially on 3's.... On 2 point attempts, he's averaging 46.8....

This is the one aspect of modern basketball that I hate watching.  Drive for a layup or a kickout on the break, but please don't pull up for a zero pass three.

I agree and disagree. I like pull up jumpers, what I don't like is when players fall in love with PUJITS. Westbrook is one of the worst at it, with 26.2% on 3 attempts.

Thank steph curry for that

Something like the pull up jumper was going to be a frequent staple in today's NBA regardless of whether or not Curry existed... Lillard, Durant, George, and a few others use those shots constantly.

Kyrie is not shooting 40% on pull up threes on fast breaks. Go back and watch the games.

And just so we are clear, I am talking about driving down the floor with the ball and firing up a three on the run.

Where did you get the numbers? We need more proof other than "go back and watch the games"

Then take note of it from now on.
so what you are saying is you pulled the number out of your ass?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Kyrie Irving is shooting a blistering 40.8% on PUJITS, especially on 3's.... On 2 point attempts, he's averaging 46.8....

This is the one aspect of modern basketball that I hate watching.  Drive for a layup or a kickout on the break, but please don't pull up for a zero pass three.

I agree and disagree. I like pull up jumpers, what I don't like is when players fall in love with PUJITS. Westbrook is one of the worst at it, with 26.2% on 3 attempts.

Something like the pull up jumper was going to be a frequent staple in today's NBA regardless of whether or not Curry existed... Lillard, Durant, George, and a few others use those shots constantly.

Kyrie is not shooting 40% on pull up threes on fast breaks. Go back and watch the games.

And just so we are clear, I am talking about driving down the floor with the ball and firing up a three on the run.

Where did you get the numbers? We need more proof other than "go back and watch the games"

Just an estimate from watching every game.

Nice comment, though.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Nice comment, though.
I watched every game too. Your estimate is wrong. Check actual stats.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Boston is 4th in the NBA in team 3-pt shooting percentage.

I'm sure they can improve their shot selection at the margins - I have the same eye-test feeling that they take more quick threes than I'd like - but obviously they are not taking a ton of low percentage three point shots.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=-1

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We are 29th in finishing around the rim.
Noone except Kyrie can do it.

We also hit 3s at a great rate and efficiency.
Along those lines I don't believe that shooting less 3s helps us.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Bingo.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well.

Like I said earlier, we should follow the same model as the Rockets for our offense. We should definitely move the ball more, since the Rockets take a high number of catch and shoot 3's, and we currently don't have that many sharpshooters like Rockets do. But we should rely more on adept passing, and crisp ball movement to get easier 3's, and easier shots in the paint.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Nice comment, though.
That's an awful estimate.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Nice comment, though.

Not really. Judge for yourself. Start counting and get back to us.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I love the transition 3, such a momentum builder.  And we're making like 60% of them.  Even Baynes is awesome on the break.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I love the transition 3, such a momentum builder.  And we're making like 60% of them.  Even Baynes is awesome on the break.

Transition threes are not the same as pull up threes.
LOL

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Nice comment, though.

I trust a guy throwing out a random number as much as metrics that are tossed around without an introduction and weak face validity. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC