Author Topic: Your initial review/opinion on 2k17?  (Read 9466 times)

Your initial review/opinion on 2k17?
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:38:07 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
So I was able to play it yesterday (just a bunch of quick plays) and initial thoughts are:

1) the plain white main menu looks super boring and a little cheap lol am I the only one who thought "this is it?"
2) pre-tipoff intros are great! Players look really good too and the arena feels alive
3) the players feel heavy, which is sort of good and bad? On defense, I really feel like I'm getting a body on them and diving on the floor feels really smooth and organic. Marcus Smart is a blast to control on D, honestly. However, on offense, I feel like it's so hard to navigate. Maybe I just need to adjust but IT4 feels real slow lol! any tips??
4) shooting timing really feels awkward. It feels like everybody has a "quick release", which is kinda annoying. It feels weird too since the players are so heavy, but when they take a shot, it's the exact opposite
5) the on-the-fly coaching will definitely take a little getting used too but I like it. I think it's better than using the d-pad to cycle through the options.

Anyway, those are some of my initial thoughts. Haven't tried the other game modes yet! What are your guys thoughts? :D
- LilRip

Re: Your initial review/opinion on 2k17?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:02:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That's unfortunate -- sounds like '16 may be better? I still have like 8 more solid seasons in me on career mode.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:49:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is the mode where you create a player and follow him throughout his career still a massive grind that takes untold hours to make your crappy 65 overall scrub into a decent player?

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:02:02 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I only buy on the even years. That's the only way I get value out of the game. I have 4 games left in my career 2nd season.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:40:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
That's unfortunate -- sounds like '16 may be better? I still have like 8 more solid seasons in me on career mode.

It might be. The shooting timing is what's frustrating me the most, really. But then again, I haven't played since last night.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
Is the mode where you create a player and follow him throughout his career still a massive grind that takes untold hours to make your crappy 65 overall scrub into a decent player?

I dunno how much of a grind it is but hey, there's an app that helps you out in getting more VC. I foresee less of a grind than the first iteration of myplayer, TBH. Plus, I believe it was last year (or 2 years ago) when they introduced a "simulate game" feature.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I haven't played a 2k since 2k14 for the release of the ps4. I have heard great reviews on 2k17 though, tempted to pick it up. I hated the storymode on 2k15.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I started carrier mode

I didn`t like that they (again) didn`t include a skip button. watching your player talking to his mother on the phone or with a teammate about getting a haircut is a waste of time imho

I think LilRip you are right... the players feel too heavy (at least to my like). But i think it`s a matter of practice.

@LarBrd33 You really need to spent time in the gym to get your attributes up.Team practices , private practices, shootarounds, weights....
This makes the game slow at least in the beginning but it makes it more real at the same time. 

The visuals are amazing (ps4) BTW ... Kobe on the cover though kinda sucks :D

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I got the PC version a few days ago and I've played it a bit.

My impressions, as a guy who only plays 2K for a simulation-type experience in MyLeague mode:

- I agree that the players feel heavier and move a bit slower

- I also agree that the jumpshot animations seem faster in general.  I like this, as I found in the past that I was always releasing shots too "early."  Jumper animations for some guys were impossibly slow in the past.  Some players that are great shooters in real life were almost unusable because of their slow animations.  It seems that may have changed for this year's game.

- Defense is difficult to play in this version.

- Playing against the computer so far, I'm finding that the AI sells out hard to prevent shots from the perimeter, to the severe detriment of the interior defense.  I'm getting open rim-running dunks and drives to the rim with all kinds of guys, including combo-wings with below average athleticism.

- They changed up the pick and roll controls a bit; I think it adds extra control, but for now it's tough to get used to.  The picks seem to come a lot slower, and unless you tell them which side to set the pick on, the pick often gets set in a direction that funnels the ballhandler away from space rather than toward it.

I need to play more, and eventually I'll tweak the sliders.  So far I've enjoyed the game.  It's clear to me how watered-down the PS3 version of the game was last year now that I'm playing a full-feature version of this year's game.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:43:13 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Like the game thus far but they REALLY need to update the C's attributes. There no way Horford is a F from three, same with KO. They severely underrated the C's in terms of attributes. Can't wait for the update. But controlling Marcus Smart on D is so much fun.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Like the game thus far but they REALLY need to update the C's attributes. There no way Horford is a F from three, same with KO. They severely underrated the C's in terms of attributes. Can't wait for the update. But controlling Marcus Smart on D is so much fun.

Sometimes the letter grades for player attributes don't mean a lot.

I don't think that Horford or Olynyk should have an amazing three point rating, just because those guys can't exactly bomb contested threes.  They shoot a good percentage on outside shots that are wide open, and they typically don't take a three unless it's wide open.

As long as Horford and KO are able to get off a wide-open spot up three, and are able to hit those shots consistently, the rating is fine.

People focus too much on overall ratings and the letter grades for basic attributes.  Use the player and ask yourself if they seem capable of doing what they do in real life.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

The letter grades aren't exact. Change it to numerical ratings (or check out this video at 1:45: https://youtu.be/Au90GR08UQg). There's different ratings for open, moving, contested 3. You'll see guys like Horford and Kelly have good open 3 ratings, but on the move and stuff, they're not as good. Which is realistic. Since they expanded the shot ratings this year to 3 different measures, is why guys who we think are good shooters still have bad letter grade ratings. Numerically, they're fine.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yes they want it to take 120 or so games played for him to be decent.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yes they want it to take 120 or so games played for him to be decent.

That's nuts.  I've never figured out how people can stand to play that many games in career mode.  It's a fun concept but it gets old for me really quickly.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Im a 75 rated Point Forward. My career is still a grind but its much more rewarding then previous years. Theyve incorporated an on the court relationship with fellow rookie Michael B. Jordan from the movie "Apollo". As you continue to play well with each other you get special abilities, like being able to toggle between yourself and the co-star on the fly. It makes the game a lot more fun when you actually want a teammate to succeed. I love the white menu theme a hell of a lot better than dark and gloomy 2016 menus, but thats my personal preference. The audio presentation is 10/10, arena atmosphere just outstanding.

I played one game with the C's and they still have IT slow as hell on defense. I don't think they will ever give IT respect on D. One thing that surprised was the play of Amir Johnson. He is an absolute beast with the help Defense, and a monster in the paint. The free throw shooting is the downfall with him. They are updating the roster prior to opening night and have an update to GM mode scheduled for it. Im more of a GM player so Im looking to forward to how that turns out.