Author Topic: Bennett to be bought out  (Read 6286 times)

Bennett to be bought out
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:03:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Apparently Minnesota couldn't find anyone that would trade for Bennett and is now in the process of buying him out.  I wonder if he finds another job and where that might be.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:09:27 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bennett to be bought out
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think he'll definitely find another NBA job easily.  It's just that teams didn't want him at $6m and $7m for the next 2 years (and have to give up something to get him in the process too), but they'll gladly take him for much less.  Something like Evan Turner's deal or JaVae McGee's reported deal that never happened.

I wouldn't want the C's to have to give up anything to get him, but I'd gladly take him now on a cheap, team friendly contract (that is if the C's could clear up some roster space).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would take him over PJ in a heartbeat. I think he has way more potential than Thomas Robinson and possibly Austin Rivers. Maybe better than Noah Vonleh or Mason Plumlee.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would take him over PJ in a heartbeat. I think he has way more potential than Thomas Robinson and possibly Austin Rivers. Maybe better than Noah Vonleh or Mason Plumlee.

So far whatever, potential he has Eja, it has been squandered.  I fear he is a dud.  Not a complete bust but not worthy of where he was picked.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
he has had horrible timing with injury and it's not his fault he was drafted first. If people just treated him like he was a 2nd year player in the league I think next year he could start showing something

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
It makes sense for a lot of teams to take a flyer on him. Not the C's though.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

So far whatever, potential he has Eja, it has been squandered.  I fear he is a dud.  Not a complete bust but not worthy of where he was picked.

Sure, but there's no reason to keep PJIII over Bennett if you can pay them the same about of money.

Dude was never expected to go first overall, but he was expected to go in the top 10 -- and he would have still gone top 10 in a 'good draft' (albeit towards the back rather than first overall).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He was only like 19 when he was drafted and then got hurt twice, but I don't think they were major injuries like ACLs or something.  If he keeps working on his body his ability to hit the outside shot could help him in the modern NBA, a little like Draymond Green.  I think people are giving up on him way too fast. He didn't look that out of place with the Canadian team this summer

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Sure, but there's no reason to keep PJIII over Bennett if you can pay them the same about of money.

Dude was never expected to go first overall, but he was expected to go in the top 10 -- and he would have still gone top 10 in a 'good draft' (albeit towards the back rather than first overall).
I think PJ is a good flyer for us to take, because if he becomes a passable rotation player there's room for him to play for us at SF and we can see if he keeps improving and gets anywhere near his potential. Let's say Bennett improves a lot in the offseason and becomes a guy who can play 15 minutes on a playoff team. Will he get 15 minutes on our team?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think you all are still overrating Bennett.  If this story is true, then Minny is cutting bait on Bennett even though they only have 15 guaranteed contracts and are under the salary floor.  They feel strongly enough that there's no reason for them to see what he does in training camp. There's no reason not to decline his 2016 option but still keep him on the roster for the season to see if he develops/is useful to even keep his Bird rights next season.  He's deemed useless enough to jettison now, before training camp, even though his roster spot will go to either someone with a non-guaranteed contract or to someone who is as yet unsigned.

If he's bought out, I doubt he gets a guaranteed deal before the season starts.  Seems like someone who will go dominate China for the winter.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:54:32 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have to think that some team will talk themselves into being the ones that think they can turn him around. 

He's gotta stay away from the dinner table, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny will find a way to sign him. Then have the NBA change the allowable players on the team to rise to 17

But seriously ,I think he will try to sign him

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's sign him and field an entire lineup of forwards.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let's sign him and field an entire lineup of forwards.

Seriously.  There really is no point to signing him at the moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd definitely take a gamble on him if we didn't already have 15 power forwards.