Author Topic: 76ers unable to get in contact with simmons  (Read 6325 times)

Re: 76ers unable to get in contact with simmons
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 02:04:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
At this point my best speculation is that this commentary was leaked by the 76ers because they may not be getting what they want back for simmons
so they tank his value even more?

In this instance it would mean a trade is already agreed in principle pending some draft/cap/free agent  stuff. Maybe something like cj mcollum
Or brogdon and a future first. This is a pretty common practice across sports Mo.

But still, why depreciate his value even further? If a deal is in place, you hope it closes... but if not, they may still be pining to move him right now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 02:20:34 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Go get him Brad he is done with the sixers. TATUM BROWN SIMMONS = CHAMPIONSHIPS.
How? What are we giving up for Simmons? How do we then beat Milwaukee, Brooklyn and Philly?
(click on image to enlarge)

Starting lineup after the trade
PG: Pritchard (great fit next to Simmons)
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Simmons
C: Horford

bench: MLE, bi-annual exception, possibly TPE, whomever we can get for Thompson (=bad fit next to Simmons), Romeo, Jabari, Semi, Grant, #45, vet minimum guys. I bet plenty of ring-chasing vets would love to play alongside a big 3 of Tatum, Brown and Simmons.

This would be the best team in the East in my book. Talent-wise, the Nets would be better, but their defense sucks. Don't like the fit of Kyrie next to Harden. They are both ball dominant guards who are below average defenders. To a large extent, imo they cancel each other out.

The Bucks are great too, but they face problems against elite defensive teams which are walling the paint. If we put Simmons next to Horford, we'd be perfectly equiped to wall the paint against Giannis.

Philly would likely flip those picks for a second star. For instance, they could go after Beal/Lillard/you name it. Embiid+Beal would be scary, but our big 3 would be scary as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:47:58 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 03:14:40 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Hello you've reached Ben Simmons' phone. I'm busy 'working on improving my game' right now. If you're a social media influencer, feel free to slide in my DMs after the tone
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 04:11:44 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don't hate this idea. As long as we get Davis Bertans and another shooting big (PJ Wash?), and trade (or sign-n-trade) away Smart, Grant, TT, Semi and TimeLord.

We literally need to have the other 4 guys on the court be a quality shooter at all times. This was the problem with Philly. Embiid/Milton aren't quite good enough from 3.

Simmons (31m)
Brown (25)
Tatum (28)
Bertans (16)
Horford (27)

Pritchard (2)
Nesmith (3.5)
Fournier (Bird Rights - over the cap)
PJ Wash (4.2)
Moses B (1.7

Deep: Romeo (3.8), Carson (1.7), Yam (1), Jabari P (guarantee - 2.8), Luke Kornet (vet min 1.5), Javonte (min 1.5)

I _think_ that works from Salary perspective - maybe getting Bertans AND Simmons might be a salary problem keeping Nesmith and Romeo...

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 04:13:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Simmons is very good player (perennial all-star) who will likely improve.  Of all the skills NBA players have successfully developed, I'd imagine shooting is the most common.

A lot of otherwise really good players significantly improved their shooting --  Rondo, Kidd, Paul, Horford, LeBron, etc.

If you look at Simmons' earlier highlights, his form and makes from a variety of scenarios looked much better.  These guys play basketball all day, year around; I would think poor in-game shooting is more related to confidence and mindset rather than ability, especially surrounded by so many phenomenal snipers.
Why is Simmons likely to improve when he has yet to improve on the offensive end at all? His defence has improved, peaking in 19-20, but his passing, rebounding and shooting have never improved.

Well I just stated why -- I think shooting is the easiest skill to develop, he looked much more fluid and capable in the past, and he seems like a semi-lazy kid who hasn't had a fire under his patoot until now.  It's hard to imagine he would waste that level of talent.  And he just turned 25 years old...
I think it's an easy skill to develop for those with any inclination to improve. He does not have that inclination. He has made 5 three pointers in his 300+ game career. It's not like Giannis or LeBron improving their shooting, this is like Shaq developing a jump shot. Not going to happen.

We shall see.  We can only speculate now, but I drafted him in a dynasty league and I'm praying my optimism pays off. Even if he doesn't develop a jumper, though, he'll still be a very good player who will improve (at least in some aspects) and could be a major contributor to a title.  Heck, on this forum, we're discussing Cameron Payne as a possible starting PG for our contending team.
I see, a self-interested opinion! ;)

I sure as heck am not. I would rather start Smart and retain Fournier than trade Smart + assets for Simmons and lose Fournier. I think Simmons could play a role on a title team if he bought into playing that Draymond role. But I don't see him having that kind of awareness
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 04:15:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Go get him Brad he is done with the sixers. TATUM BROWN SIMMONS = CHAMPIONSHIPS.
How? What are we giving up for Simmons? How do we then beat Milwaukee, Brooklyn and Philly?

bench: MLE, bi-annual exception, possibly TPE, whomever we can get for Thompson (=bad fit next to Simmons), Romeo, Jabari, Semi, Grant, #45, vet minimum guys. I bet plenty of ring-chasing vets would love to play alongside a big 3 of Tatum, Brown and Simmons.

This would be the best team in the East in my book. Talent-wise, the Nets would be better, but their defense sucks. Don't like the fit of Kyrie next to Harden. They are both ball dominant guards who are below average defenders. To a large extent, imo they cancel each other out.

The Bucks are great too, but they face problems against elite defensive teams which are walling the paint. If we put Simmons next to Horford, we'd be perfectly equiped to wall the paint against Giannis.

Philly would likely flip those picks for a second star. For instance, they could go after Beal/Lillard/you name it. Embiid+Beal would be scary, but our big 3 would be scary as well.
I mentioned before, but losing Smart, Fournier, Timelord, Nesmith and 3 first round picks is a massive, massive overpay. You're not buying low at all! That kind of package is the like the ones we've seen for perennial All-NBA players, not Ben Simmons

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 05:05:34 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I mentioned before, but losing Smart, Fournier, Timelord, Nesmith and 3 first round picks is a massive, massive overpay. You're not buying low at all! That kind of package is the like the ones we've seen for perennial All-NBA players, not Ben Simmons
Simmons is a perennial all-star and has made one all-NBA team and 2 all-defense teams. He's also only 25 years old. Mind you, this is while playing out of position. He's forced to play on the ball a lot, cause he's sharing the court with a dominant Center. Any deal that lands us Simmons without including the Jays is a buy-low deal in my book. No way would the Sixers entertain this possibility prior to this year's playoffs. If you think we can get him for less than that, no problem by me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:11:08 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 06:18:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Simmons is a perennial all-star and has made one all-NBA team and 2 all-defense teams. He's also only 25 years old. Mind you, this is while playing out of position. He's forced to play on the ball a lot, cause he's sharing the court with a dominant Center. Any deal that lands us Simmons without including the Jays is a buy-low deal in my book. No way would the Sixers entertain this possibility prior to this year's playoffs. If you think we can get him for less than that, no problem by me.
There is a significant gap between Simmons and the kind of guys we've seen go for similar deals (Harden and Davis spring to mind). If we were going to trade for a perennial All-Star talent I'd much rather go for someone like Beal. Healthy, good attitude, wants to be here in Boston / with Tatum, and has the ability to shoot.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 06:55:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

It’s a massive overlay from Boston and it’s still not what Philly wants. Rumors swirling Toronto turned down Lowry, VanVleet, OG and 4 for Simmons (and rightfully so).

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Also, not sure where this no contact rumor started.

PhillyVoice reached out to multiple team sources on Monday morning in wake of the report, and received pretty firm denials at every stop. “We talked to Ben on his birthday a couple of days ago, we’ve been in touch with him throughout the summer,” one source said. “We’re going to send some training personnel out to see him this summer, too…we have good dialogue with Ben, his team, and his family.”

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
At this point my best speculation is that this commentary was leaked by the 76ers because they may not be getting what they want back for simmons

In this instance it would mean a trade is already agreed in principle pending some draft/cap/free agent  stuff. Maybe something like cj mcollum
Or brogdon and a future first. This is a pretty common practice across sports Mo.
Once a trade has been announced and made official.  Not before.  That is the exact opposite of what teams do.  No trade has been announced, so why would Philly do that?  It makes no sense at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 08:18:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I don't believe this and even if it is true, what does it change?  I don't think this is going to help Philly get more offers and I also don't think this affects Simmons trade value.  Simmons has always shown up and played hard.  Team have established their value for Simmons and I don't think this changes it.

I do like Simmons on the Celtics with Brown and Tatum.  I thought maybe Kemba could be the start of a trade with them.  Kemba would be a good fit for Philly in my opinion.  I suspect Boston sent out feelers but didn't get much interest.  Philly seems to think they can get Lillard or some other top star.  Maybe they will.  I doubt it.

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
People are way too down on Simmons. His value is going up. Just a matter of where he'll be when it does.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

But still, why depreciate his value even further? If a deal is in place, you hope it closes... but if not, they may still be pining to move him right now.

It makes the trade go over a lot better with the fans of the local writers or media members kick the guy down a notch on his way out of town. Ironically the Red Sox beat writers were pretty famous for this culminating in a low point point leaking whispers of Francona having a drug problem in his final season as they were preparing to get rid of him….

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Once a trade has been announced and made official.  Not before.  That is the exact opposite of what teams do.  No trade has been announced, so why would Philly do that?  It makes no sense at all.

Moranis teams have been known to league stuff to gauge fan and season holder reaction for quite some time. They can always say it an inaccurate report a day later (like they have done). This is pretty common practice surrounding trades. Also the possibility this was leaked by simmons camp to up the pressure on completing a trade. This is very common stuff. Surprised people find it so bewildering