Author Topic: Magic Johnson disses Pelicans FO: "they didn't act in good faith"  (Read 4567 times)

Re: Magic Johnson disses Pelicans FO: "they didn't act in good faith"
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The Lakers are being investigated again. Per NBA spokesman Mike Bass: "The league office is looking into whether any contact took place between Ben Simmons and the Los Angeles Lakers that violated NBA rules."

Go get them Adam!

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So - evidently, according to The Jump on ESPN - The Sixers GM has banned Ben Simmons from working with Magic

https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2709184

lol I think Magic is taking advantage of his popularity around the league to "Push Boundaries"....

I don't believe he's a bad GM (even though he drafted Lonzo instead of Tatum - just saying...)

He is a GREAT human being.

He hasn't - yet - had to make the tough choices as a GM like Danny Ainge has had to do - the tough choices that he WILL have to make, some day.

He hasn't - yet - had to make a critical trade for a latter-career HOFer (Kevin Garnett)...haven't had to basically rebuild a contender on the fly (see DA-2007-08)....hasn't had to make yet ANOTHER critical trade of PP/KG for the BKN assets...........

He HAS played a critical role in getting the best player in the NBA to the Lakers. How this will end remains to be seen.

I just hope that he realizes that his popularity will only get him so far....he HAS to abide by the same rules as all other GMs. He has to respect the code.

NOH is RIGHT in how they are doing their business. So is BOSTON. Don't use The Lakers' natural Star Power in a desperate attempt to propel them back to championship contention.

There is NO magic wand for the Lakers - or BOS or any other team. You need players / engaged front office and ownership / quality coaches and some measure of luck.

The Lakers are NOT entitled to anything.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wild that the Lakers had the gall to complain about "bidding against themselves" after manufacturing a situation where no one could bid against them.

I hope New Orleans wasn't acting in good faith, it's the appropriate response to people acting in bad faith against you.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Puhahaha

nothing better than to see this horror show

Young guys sticking together...Lebron empty seats beside him

Magic looking like a fool

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
and now this

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25974492/nba-investigate-lakers-ben-simmons-contact-violated-rules

I think the league should not allow players to have Rich Paul as their agents

Not until Lebron retires

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
The league clearly has a Rich Paul problem. He clearly acts only in the best interest of only one client, not all of his clients.  I think they need to consider revoking his right to represent NBA players.  This is all just crazy.

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The league clearly has a Rich Paul problem. He clearly acts only in the best interest of only one client, not all of his clients.  I think they need to consider revoking his right to represent NBA players.  This is all just crazy.
They 100% do
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

While I wholeheartedly agree he acts in the best interest of one client, why does the NBA have to step in?

Besides obvious tampering or other blatant misconduct, maybe the players who sign with him should be the ones to realize he’s not acting in their best interests and change agents.

The NBA isn’t empowering him, the players paying him to represent them are.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

While I wholeheartedly agree he acts in the best interest of one client, why does the NBA have to step in?

Besides obvious tampering or other blatant misconduct, maybe the players who sign with him should be the ones to realize he’s not acting in their best interests and change agents.

The NBA isn’t empowering him, the players paying him to represent them are.

different professions have regulatory bodies. You cannot leave everything to the market. The NBA should legislate a code of ethics for agents and part of that should be to avoid conflict of interest.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Magic is now a third time offender regarding tampering ..... time to come down hard on the Lakers. Does the NBA have the nads to do that?

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 07:58:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Magic is using his celebrity status ,  knowing the media publishes , or puts out every word he speaks to mainstream . He knows this , and uses his media power to get his subliminal messages out , knowing the players will hear what he said though the grapevine , if not seeing or hearing it directly. He hopes said player will grateful and impressed the GREAT Magic noticed.   Thus creating a sense of connection between them.    SLICK ....but old crusty guys like me see though him.