Author Topic: Do you think Kyrie Irving has any mental/psychological issues/disorders?  (Read 4583 times)

Re: Do you think Kyrie Irving has any mental/psychological issues/disorders?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I would be very surprised if he doesn't meet criteria for an Axis 2 personality disorder.

FWIW, my wife who is a therapist tells me that she doesn't consider personality disorders to be mental illness, per se.  A different kind of thing.

Axis 2 are included in the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), so technically they are mental "disorders".  But Id agree with your wife that they are a different animal from what might be thought of as mental illness.  They are often untreated as, despite some potential pretty serious impairment in social and occupational functioning, personality disorders are sort of embedded in the fabric of a person's being -- not a quirk or a neurosis and often not experiences as a "problem" in the way mood disorders or psychoses are often experienced as something the person has to deal with.  People with personality disorders usually see the problem as occurring outside themselves -- happening to them rather than because of them.  Extremely difficult to get better -- often "better" is seen as a somewhat higher order personality disorder.  I think of a PD when people seem compelled to continually do the same things (patterns) that others might see as detrimental or costly to the person, yet, they find ways to justify the behavior.  Kyrie and Antonio Brown seem like likely candidates.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the problem with mental illness is the stigma society places on it. One way to remove this stigma is to understand that mental illness is exactly that, an illness. If the board can discuss a player or persons physical injury, then an informed, intelligent and respectful discussion of mental health probably helps to remove rather than perpetuate the stigma. One could argue that automatically blocking the discussion actually furthers the stigma. So far, the vast majority of the contribution have been respectful and a credit to this blog. Just wanted to say that.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think several members of this board have obsessive compulsive disorder about Kyrie. Get on with it already.

Respectfully, you don’t need to click a thread about Kyrie if you’re not interested.

But then I wouldn’t be doing my part to make the world a better by place by telling people to get over it.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would be very surprised if he doesn't meet criteria for an Axis 2 personality disorder.

FWIW, my wife who is a therapist tells me that she doesn't consider personality disorders to be mental illness, per se.  A different kind of thing.

Axis 2 are included in the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), so technically they are mental "disorders".  But Id agree with your wife that they are a different animal from what might be thought of as mental illness.  They are often untreated as, despite some potential pretty serious impairment in social and occupational functioning, personality disorders are sort of embedded in the fabric of a person's being -- not a quirk or a neurosis and often not experiences as a "problem" in the way mood disorders or psychoses are often experienced as something the person has to deal with.  People with personality disorders usually see the problem as occurring outside themselves -- happening to them rather than because of them.  Extremely difficult to get better -- often "better" is seen as a somewhat higher order personality disorder.  I think of a PD when people seem compelled to continually do the same things (patterns) that others might see as detrimental or costly to the person, yet, they find ways to justify the behavior.  Kyrie and Antonio Brown seem like likely candidates.

Interesting take.  I’ve never thought of personality disorders like BPD to be anything but a mental illness, or different in kind. It’s clear that those afflicted aren’t well, and can’t really help it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Interesting take.  I’ve never thought of personality disorders like BPD to be anything but a mental illness, or different in kind. It’s clear that those afflicted aren’t well, and can’t really help it.

BPD (borderline) has pretty serious source - usually (as far as I understand it) traumatic— and has very impactful and repetitive consequences to self and others.  And very need driven and thus not really within a person’s control  - so yeah pretty serious mental health issue. But still it’s a separate Axis for a reason and often those with PDs often have concurrent Axis 1 MH issues.  Often the Axis 1 is “treated” with Axis 2 kind of a constant character factor. 

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 08:19:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yes
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Many observed behavior can be explained to be many things or all things at the same time. Some behavior could be explained as a symptom of mental illness but could also be indicative behavior due to character or maturity or taught behavior. Because of that, really only a medical professional that has examined him can make a true call. Everything else is speculation.

Could Kyrie be mentally ill? It's possible.
It's also possible that Kyrie is just a self centered, quirky, immature dink.
It's also possible he is just a genuinely good guy that is massively misunderstood and gets a ton massive well earned grief from fans of this team.
And it's possible it's all three or parts of all three.

Who knows? But it wouldn't shock me if he suffered from a disorder or two.

Just about a perfect response to this question - summed up very well. I do believe some of Irving's behavior is because he is self-centered and arrogant. I also do hope we don't hear a few years down the road that he has serious mental health issues.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
There is nothing wrong with him.

I get the OP's right to post this here but IMO it is over the top.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Maybe or maybe not, but I don't think a public forum is a place to discuss a figure's mental health.

I'd encourage a mod to lock this thread. I'm not sure anything good can come from this conversation, and a lot of bad could be done to those who do struggle with mental health.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting discussion. I'm saying a public forum is not the right place for nuance and care in conversation.

I completely agree. This thread is not to condone or put down either public figures, I'm just merely curious.

I understand and have no problem having that conversation in a non-judgmental way. It's just not a conversation for a public forum.

TP. Agreed. It's just irresponsible to discuss someone's mental health in this manner, especially when none of us have actually had a personal interaction or conversation with the person in question. This board precludes conversation about the players personal lives and "gossiping", I don't see how this is any different.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 11:26:16 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think Kyrie has a really high opinion of himself and will naturally grate on anyone who doesn't see him the same way that he sees himself.

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
wrong thread

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
If being full of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and full of himself, then YES.  Full Disclosure - I am NOT a doctor although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.