Author Topic: Do you think Kyrie Irving has any mental/psychological issues/disorders?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I always wondered if anyone who's well endowed and knowledge regarding psychological and mental illnesses/disorders could explain to me if they display any characteristics or traits?

Or am I just looking for something that's not there?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Maybe or maybe not, but I don't think a public forum is a place to discuss a figure's mental health.

I'd encourage a mod to lock this thread. I'm not sure anything good can come from this conversation, and a lot of bad could be done to those who do struggle with mental health.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting discussion. I'm saying a public forum is not the right place for nuance and care in conversation.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Maybe or maybe not, but I don't think a public forum is a place to discuss a figure's mental health.

I'd encourage a mod to lock this thread. I'm not sure anything good can come from this conversation, and a lot of bad could be done to those who do struggle with mental health.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting discussion. I'm saying a public forum is not the right place for nuance and care in conversation.

I completely agree. This thread is not to condone or put down either public figures, I'm just merely curious.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t know that we need to lock the thread, but I do agree that it’s very hard to properly diagnose somebody from afar, particularly when only seeing small bits of his life.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"Disorder" is just not following "dis" "order", man. The human psyche can't be contained in norms and phrases and labels, it's a hypersonic amalgamation of cosmic vibrations filtered through the sensory darkness cast over your third eye to keep you away from the infinity beyond and oh dear I've gone crosseyed.

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
in that bucks series he played like he was allergic to good basketball. :)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I know that he is an OUTSTANDING Real Estate Agent, along with Joel Embiid.

They are both leading agents for Century 21.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I completely agree. This thread is not to condone or put down either public figures, I'm just merely curious.

I understand and have no problem having that conversation in a non-judgmental way. It's just not a conversation for a public forum.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Many observed behavior can be explained to be many things or all things at the same time. Some behavior could be explained as a symptom of mental illness but could also be indicative behavior due to character or maturity or taught behavior. Because of that, really only a medical professional that has examined him can make a true call. Everything else is speculation.

Could Kyrie be mentally ill? It's possible.
It's also possible that Kyrie is just a self centered, quirky, immature dink.
It's also possible he is just a genuinely good guy that is massively misunderstood and gets a ton massive well earned grief from fans of this team.
And it's possible it's all three or parts of all three.

Who knows? But it wouldn't shock me if he suffered from a disorder or two.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
just because he is a flat earther don't mean eis looney or nothing .

eh just walks to a different drummer is all  :)

Re: Do you think Kyrie Irving has any mental/psychological issues/disorders?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Without having a debate about whether he has one or not, I’d ask a different question: Does it matter?

Suppose he does: It should be diagnosed at this point.  He’s been a professional athlete with the resources to have received a diagnosis and treatment for 9 years now.  NBA teams for several years have made mental health a component of their player health programs, as have agents and the Player’s Association.

The stories of Kyrie’s “idiosyncrasies” have been around for several years now.  If the underlying cause of these is a psychological disorder, do people believe he has shown any signs of treatment, such as more mild/infrequent idiosyncrasies?  If there is a disorder, should he have some responsibility for seeking and following treatment, given that resources are not an issue for him, in the same way he is responsible for maintaining his physical readiness to the best of his ability?  I would argue that he does bear responsibility, and would also suggest that, if anything, his behavior has deteriorated over time, implying that if this behavior does have a mental health or psychological health component, he has not been living up to this responsibility of seeking treatment.

Compare it to another player on the Celtics — Marcus Smart.  It would not be remotely surprising for me to learn that he has a diagnosed mental/psychological health issue.  Running into the stands when he was in college, breaking his hand in the hotel, and several of the other well-documented  outbursts he’s had point to something.  At the same time, the outbursts seem to be decreasing in both severity and frequency, implying that, if there is an underlying cause, he has been successfully receiving some treatment.

A euphemism that’s common to me for mental health issues is that one is “working through some things.”  My point is that while I am agnostic as to whether or not Kyrie has a specific problem, I think I can comfortably say that he is not “working through” anything.  And that’s on him, regardless.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Without having a debate about whether he has one or not, I’d ask a different question: Does it matter?

Suppose he does: It should be diagnosed at this point.  He’s been a professional athlete with the resources to have received a diagnosis and treatment for 9 years now.  NBA teams for several years have made mental health a component of their player health programs, as have agents and the Player’s Association.

The stories of Kyrie’s “idiosyncrasies” have been around for several years now.  If the underlying cause of these is a psychological disorder, do people believe he has shown any signs of treatment, such as more mild/infrequent idiosyncrasies?  If there is a disorder, should he have some responsibility for seeking and following treatment, given that resources are not an issue for him, in the same way he is responsible for maintaining his physical readiness to the best of his ability?  I would argue that he does bear responsibility, and would also suggest that, if anything, his behavior has deteriorated over time, implying that if this behavior does have a mental health or psychological health component, he has not been living up to this responsibility of seeking treatment.

Compare it to another player on the Celtics — Marcus Smart.  It would not be remotely surprising for me to learn that he has a diagnosed mental/psychological health issue.  Running into the stands when he was in college, breaking his hand in the hotel, and several of the other well-documented  outbursts he’s had point to something.  At the same time, the outbursts seem to be decreasing in both severity and frequency, implying that, if there is an underlying cause, he has been successfully receiving some treatment.

A euphemism that’s common to me for mental health issues is that one is “working through some things.”  My point is that while I am agnostic as to whether or not Kyrie has a specific problem, I think I can comfortably say that he is not “working through” anything.  And that’s on him, regardless.
Many observed behavior can be explained to be many things or all things at the same time. Some behavior could be explained as a symptom of mental illness but could also be indicative behavior due to character or maturity or taught behavior. Because of that, really only a medical professional that has examined him can make a true call. Everything else is speculation.

Could Kyrie be mentally ill? It's possible.
It's also possible that Kyrie is just a self centered, quirky, immature dink.
It's also possible he is just a genuinely good guy that is massively misunderstood and gets a ton massive well earned grief from fans of this team.
And it's possible it's all three or parts of all three.

Who knows? But it wouldn't shock me if he suffered from a disorder or two.

TP to both.

I just wanted more information regarding this topic.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think several members of this board have obsessive compulsive disorder about Kyrie. Get on with it already.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 06:03:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would be very surprised if he doesn't meet criteria for an Axis 2 personality disorder.

FWIW, my wife who is a therapist tells me that she doesn't consider personality disorders to be mental illness, per se.  A different kind of thing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think several members of this board have obsessive compulsive disorder about Kyrie. Get on with it already.

Respectfully, you don’t need to click a thread about Kyrie if you’re not interested.