Author Topic: The FA signing, the buyout and trade the Celtics need to do.  (Read 9732 times)

The FA signing, the buyout and trade the Celtics need to do.
« on: December 14, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
With the trade deadline being February but the end of December being the time most trades will happen because of recent signing in the off seasons, it's time to get looking.  Mind you this post is a combination of a lot of post from different people but I think gives the Celtics the best roster. 

The free agent I'm wanting the Celtics to go after is Kenneth Faried.  Yes, has been out the league this year but has been playing amazing everywhere he's played.  Right now it's in Mexico and he's still the energetic big the Celtics need.  With Horford being old but still playing great in minutes given and KP having a calf issue we're in need of really two bigs that can spot start.  Faried is wanting to make a return to the NBA and honestly would come cheap and give us everything we'd need.  Someone who still plays above the rim, has gotten better at the 3 and most of all for us rebounds and shot blocks. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1XBTxOUBw

The perfect buyout, Gordon Hayward.  He's finally relatively healthy and has been playing great basketball for what he's asked to do.  Coming off the bench being our 6th, 7th or 8th player that could spot start for 4-2 would be amazing to have.  With the money from Grant Williams we'd be able to give him a little more then other teams, plus he's got the connection with Brad. 

The trade that we should do is getting two needs, Andre Drummond and Alex Caruso.  This trade has to happen after December 24th but that's fine.  Pritchard, Kornet, Mykhailiuk and Stevens with either two 2nd round picks or a 1st if really needing to do the deal.  In return we get Drummond and Caruso.  Drummond anchors the center position that Kornet is showing more and more he's not the right player.  Caruso is an upgrade over Pritchard and would create a 3 guard rotation that is interchangeable with White and Holiday. 

Celtics look like this after the post.

Center- Porzingis
Power Forward - Tatum
Small Forward - Brown
Shooting Guard - White
Point Guard - Holiday

6th - Horford
7th - Hayward
8th - Caruso
9th - Drummond
10th - Hauser
11th -  Faried
12th - Brissett
13th - Banton

If you wanted to rollout a complete second unit it could compete with a lot of starting fives. 

Center - Drummond
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Hauser
Point Guard - Caruso

Please give actual feedback or your idea of a FA, a buyout and a trade the Celtics should go after.

Re: The FA signing, the buyout and trade the Celtics need to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 03:49:35 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hayward wife burn some bridges here so doubt he be back…Faried & Drummond wouldn’t be bad backups
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 03:52:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The free agent I'm wanting the Celtics to go after is Kenneth Faried.  Yes, has been out the league this year but has been playing amazing everywhere he's played.  Right now it's in Mexico and he's still the energetic big the Celtics need.  With Horford being old but still playing great in minutes given and KP having a calf issue we're in need of really two bigs that can spot start.  Faried is wanting to make a return to the NBA and honestly would come cheap and give us everything we'd need.  Someone who still plays above the rim, has gotten better at the 3 and most of all for us rebounds and shot blocks. 

He has not played in the NBA since 2019 and hasn't played regularly since 2017.  He had a nice run in the league 2011-2016 but he is now 34 years old.  Not sure he is someone that is going to come in and be of any help but I would be fine if they gave him a 10 day or something to at least give him a look.  My expectations would not be high, but you never know.

A lot of people seem interested in Caruso and Drummond but I am not.  Especially if it means giving up Pritchard.  Nothing here moves the needle, and may actually move the needle the wrong way.  Hayward if bought out would be an interesting consideration, but hard to see him back in Boston for a deep bench role.

I get what everyone is trying to do but these deals are hard.  We have so little flexibility and really very limited need.  A player is going to have to be pretty good to crack our top 8.  And if the player isn't good enough to crack the top 8, what is the point?  I don't want to give up much just to bring in a player that is a little better than Kornet, maybe.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 08:23:45 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

He has not played in the NBA since 2019 and hasn't played regularly since 2017.  He had a nice run in the league 2011-2016 but he is now 34 years old.  Not sure he is someone that is going to come in and be of any help but I would be fine if they gave him a 10 day or something to at least give him a look.  My expectations would not be high, but you never know.

A lot of people seem interested in Caruso and Drummond but I am not.  Especially if it means giving up Pritchard.  Nothing here moves the needle, and may actually move the needle the wrong way.  Hayward if bought out would be an interesting consideration, but hard to see him back in Boston for a deep bench role.

I get what everyone is trying to do but these deals are hard.  We have so little flexibility and really very limited need.  A player is going to have to be pretty good to crack our top 8.  And if the player isn't good enough to crack the top 8, what is the point?  I don't want to give up much just to bring in a player that is a little better than Kornet, maybe.

Drummond is a massive upgrade to kornet even with all his flaws.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 04:20:52 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

With Faried he's a flyer for sure.  But the video I posted shows he's still got talent enough to be on the bench for sure.  Honestly he'd be an upgrade over Kornet at this point.

I could see if Caruso was a one year rental but he's also signed through next year, so giving up Pritchard isn't that hard.  Specially with Pritchard not showcasing anything that is going to help us during a title run.  Honestly lately he's putting up shots that you're screaming at the T.V. for him not to take.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 04:55:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Drummond can't defend anyone and can't hit a free throw to save his life.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 05:53:42 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If Hayward is bought out, he'd be at the top of my list. But I just don't see a reunion happening. There's other situations where he'd have a bigger role. He could start in Philly, Dallas, even in Golden State if you think they can still make a playoff run with a tweak or two.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 06:36:56 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Didn’t realize kornet was bill russell on defense himself. He is one of the best rebounders in the history of the nba. We could use that in some matchups. We can not use kornet for any situation.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 06:51:16 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If Hayward is bought out, he'd be at the top of my list. But I just don't see a reunion happening. There's other situations where he'd have a bigger role. He could start in Philly, Dallas, even in Golden State if you think they can still make a playoff run with a tweak or two.

Also doesn’t Hayward kind of hate Boston now?

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 07:38:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought Faried sucked 5 years ago.  I don't see him as an upgrade over anybody.  Hayward would be a great addition but I doubt it would happen.    I wanted Drummond a couple years ago but I'm not really sure if his impact outweighs his weaknesses at this point.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 10:09:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Didn’t realize kornet was bill russell on defense himself. He is one of the best rebounders in the history of the nba. We could use that in some matchups. We can not use kornet for any situation.
Kornet is a better defender than Drummond. Also not a liability at the FT line. Drummond isn’t a big upgrade. Cs biggest need is another wing/scorer off the bench.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 10:11:43 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Does he?  I know primarily he likes money.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 11:52:32 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

isn't there some new restriction for teams with our level of spending?... not being able to sign a bought out player with a high salary like his?

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 12:25:45 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

isn't there some new restriction for teams with our level of spending?... not being able to sign a bought out player with a high salary like his?

I think I read it in one of the threads here that we can’t sign Hayward even if he’s bought out. Can’t really remember the reason though.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 12:37:51 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I think I read it in one of the threads here that we can’t sign Hayward even if he’s bought out. Can’t really remember the reason though.

There is a restriction that teams over the second apron cannot sign waived players whose salary were more than the MLE.  I’m not clear whether that prohibition takes effect this year or next..