Author Topic: NBC Boston: The Celtics Ideal Starting Lineup  (Read 4177 times)

Re: NBC Boston: The Celtics Ideal Starting Lineup
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
looking forward to seeing how the C's D handles Kemba and Fournier.

Kemba and Fournier likely match up against Smart and Brown.  Smart and Brown should be able to smother them.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Currently I like 11 man rotation as

PG-Schro, PP
SG-Smart, Josh, Langford
SF-Brown, Nesmith
PF-Tatum, Grant
C-Al, TL

I don't expect consistency out of Al and TL so Juancho and Kanter will get playing time when Al or TL sit. Don't expect to see others unless garbage time

Yeah, Schro gotta start, I think Juancho and Grant split time depending on matchups...

Romeo probably splits a fair amount of minutes with Josh too.
I can see that. I cant tell how all the guys could be used given the game matchups and foul trouble. I would not be shocked to see Josh playing PG more or Langford playing some SF or even Juancho being at the 5. Injuries and covid will hit a few times, that's the team luck.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
looking forward to seeing how the C's D handles Kemba and Fournier.

Kemba and Fournier likely match up against Smart and Brown.  Smart and Brown should be able to smother them.
that's what I'm looking forward to.  maybe a little Smart bullyball in the post against Kemba.   

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
Al Horford is officially on the inactive list for Wednesday’s opener against the Knicks.

With Al now out for the opener, that will change the starting line up of course.  I think Al would have started.  Now things are even harder to predict.  I think 4 of the 5 are clear enough:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
RWilliams

Those 4 will start, the question is who will be the 5th starter.  Schroder has been hurt so probably not him.  Most seem to think it will be Richardson but I am not so sure.  It could be a young player, Langford or Nesmith.  It could also be Grant Williams or Hernangomez.  That is 5-6 options, depending on Schroder.  I would like to see Hernangomez start.  I feel we need to start a second big and I think Hernangomez is slightly better suited than Grant Williams to run with the first unit, and vice verse.  Richardson is likely a bench guy in the long run so he may as well start getting used to that role.   Whoever does start probably still plays under 20 min so not really starter minutes.

Follow Up:

The new Celtics head coach revealed Boston's starting lineup ahead of Wednesday night's season opener against the New York Knicks, and one member of the group might raise some eyebrows.

Here's the starting five:

PG  Marcus Smart
SG  Jaylen Brown
SF  Jayson Tatum
PF  Grant Williams
C    Robert Williams III

The ideal line up? Maybe not but that is the starting line up for the opening game.  I think Horford will start over RWill when available but we shall see.

My prediction was this but with Hernangomez over GWill, so I was wrong, but only a little.  I said JHern was "slightly better suited" than GWill to start.  I guess Ime didn't agree.  I still like this line up, with either.  Keeps Tatum as a wing.  We have good size at every position, well accept for GWill.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hopefully Williams surprises us.

I think it's silly to go with the "two big" lineup, when one of those "bigs" is an undersized G-Leaguer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 02:55:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
Al Horford is officially on the inactive list for Wednesday’s opener against the Knicks.

With Al now out for the opener, that will change the starting line up of course.  I think Al would have started.  Now things are even harder to predict.  I think 4 of the 5 are clear enough:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
RWilliams

Those 4 will start, the question is who will be the 5th starter.  Schroder has been hurt so probably not him.  Most seem to think it will be Richardson but I am not so sure.  It could be a young player, Langford or Nesmith.  It could also be Grant Williams or Hernangomez.  That is 5-6 options, depending on Schroder.  I would like to see Hernangomez start.  I feel we need to start a second big and I think Hernangomez is slightly better suited than Grant Williams to run with the first unit, and vice verse.  Richardson is likely a bench guy in the long run so he may as well start getting used to that role.   Whoever does start probably still plays under 20 min so not really starter minutes.

Follow Up:

The new Celtics head coach revealed Boston's starting lineup ahead of Wednesday night's season opener against the New York Knicks, and one member of the group might raise some eyebrows.

Here's the starting five:

PG  Marcus Smart
SG  Jaylen Brown
SF  Jayson Tatum
PF  Grant Williams
C    Robert Williams III

The ideal line up? Maybe not but that is the starting line up for the opening game.  I think Horford will start over RWill when available but we shall see.

My prediction was this but with Hernangomez over GWill, so I was wrong, but only a little.  I said JHern was "slightly better suited" than GWill to start.  I guess Ime didn't agree.  I still like this line up, with either.  Keeps Tatum as a wing.  We have good size at every position, well accept for GWill.
figured it'd either be Romeo or GWill.  with GWill looking like he's put last year's mess behind him, I think he's primed for a good season.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 03:04:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Hopefully Williams surprises us.

I think it's silly to go with the "two big" lineup, when one of those "bigs" is an undersized G-Leaguer.

I would prefer JHern to get that length but it is not going to make all that much difference either way.  I give GWill more credit than a "G-Leager" but he is not really a starter level talent either.  I would much rather have GWill on Randle than Tatum or Brown or Smart.  I think both JHern and Parker will see some time also, as well as periods with one big.

But this appears to be the opening night starting line up and I think it says a lot in terms of how Ime looks at it.

I think part of this is they want Schroder and Richardson to be bench players and better to get them used to that role right from the start.  GWill probably won't start the whole season and it is not as important for him to have a regular role.  I think it is good to give Schroder and Richardson regular roles.  They may play close to starter minutes though, which will probably not be the case for GWill.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Who is guarding Randle? G Will?  I dunno. 

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 03:54:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Most likely to start.   

On the flip side, who do they put on Tatum and Brown?   Do they try to hide Kemba on Grant?   

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Most likely to start.   

On the flip side, who do they put on Tatum and Brown?   Do they try to hide Kemba on Grant?
GWill either gets put in the post on Kemba and is too much for him or brings him out to the 3 point line where Kemba can't bother his shot.  GWill in the post with Kemba on him would set up GWill to make some passes to the guys who'll be open when help comes for Kemba.   Same for  whoever Fournier is guarding.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Most likely to start.   

GWill either gets put in the post on Kemba and is too much for him or brings him out to the 3 point line where Kemba can't bother his shot.  GWill in the post with Kemba on him would set up GWill to make some passes to the guys who'll be open when help comes for Kemba.   Same for  whoever Fournier is guarding.

Serious question:  have we seen Williams effectively post anybody?  It doesn’t seem like a strong skill of his, smaller player or not.  I worry it just burns the clock and takes the ball out of the hands of better players.

Anybody have Synergy numbers on Grant?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Most likely to start.   

Serious question:  have we seen Williams effectively post anybody?  It doesn’t seem like a strong skill of his, smaller player or not.  I worry it just burns the clock and takes the ball out of the hands of better players.

Anybody have Synergy numbers on Grant?

No, it’s not his game. Not much point in consulting Synergy.

You want to open up the paint for drivers.  You can run offense through him at the top of the arc because he makes good reads and moves the ball - that is a better use of his skills.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021