Author Topic: Jaylen and Jayson lack of assists  (Read 8103 times)

Re: Jaylen and Jayson lack of assists
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What exactly are you trying to say here? You are all over the place.

Are you saying it's Stevens' fault that Brown and Tatum don't get more assists?

Neither is a PG. Neither had great court vision or great skill at passing coming into the league. It will be the last thing to develop for both these guys. With how both have grown their game this year, expecting great leaps in generating assists shouldn't be expected this year, especially the passing skill to get out of double teams.

There is little Stevens can do in that regard. The decision making process to be efficient, high level scorers kicked in for both this year. The decision making process to continue to score efficiently but knowing when to make that pass to a better chance to score will come. It's not like some of this stuff can be done in practice. This type of development has to happen in games or with a team of trainers/coaches in the offseason.

Like I said

In the summer after time under Pops

Brown was forcing less than we have seen from him in the past

making the extra passes, alley hoop passes

You don't have to be a special passer to know how to do this.  Look at the Raptors. Drive and drop a pass is the routine.     

Drive and pass to the open man

Its good habit/and better basketball

last night, Brown received a pass from Tatum (double team) and Theis was right there for the open dunk/layup ... instead Brown opts for a tough shot/miss

Overall Brown assist totals are brutal for a wing.  Like you said, we all hope he improves on this aspect of his game. He has it in him
What you are doing here is taking one example and kinda turning it into a situation that this happens all the time. What you are not taking into account is all the times both players do make the right passes and the player they passed to missed the shot.

In the Minnesota game, for instance, JB made four great passes to open men based on his creation and those players missed all four shots. I have seen the same thing happen to Jayson, too.

I think they get some tunnel vision, but I also see them making the right passes more often. While people pay attention to the made assists or lack thereof, what they and you are missing is the made passes that turned into misses.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Leonard averaged 2 assists per game his third year and fourth year. Durant averaged 3.

They aren't Lebron James. That's ok.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Leonard averaged 2 assists per game his third year and fourth year. Durant averaged 3.

tatum has brown walker and Hayward. Lebron in his 3rd year had freaking Eric snow and some euros I never even heard of. And to be honest I never heard of Eric snow either

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Jaylen is not a point forward... he will become a little worse or better Kawhi.. brutal defender.. I believe he will be a guy that scores 24 25 ppg and will destroy guys in defence..
Tatum will be a taller version of kobe
Better defender
We will have to see his killer instinct

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
You would think these guys were 28 and in their prime with the way people expect them to be perfect or great already. They are better than most guys their age, let them make it to their primes before we nitpick every aspect! Be sure that they are working on everything, it doesn't mean it's all going to click at once. They have it in them, they have shown it, it's only a matter of time. I still think in their primes JB will get to at least 4 and JT at least 6 (he's already been around 5 since he started this run at 21)! Because JT has more responsibility so young, I think he will learn and be at 7-8 at his peak, he's so capable as a scorer that they will HAVE to double and triple him, he can be that good IMO.

KL just made it to 5 assists per, he was around 2-3 every season prior. Give these guys some time! They are 22 (few days) and 23!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Play making is a skill, which neither J is elite at. They need some time to develop it, along with other things. There’s a chance they may never be elite at play making, not everyone can do it like Luca Doncic, but it’s ok, that’s why we have Kemba.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:32:35 PM by Stig »

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 05:07:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Play making is a skill, which neither J is elite at. They need some time to develop it, along with other things. There’s a chance they may never be elite at play making, not everyone can do it like Luca Dinacci, but it’s ok, that’s why we have Kemba.
I have to see this Dinacci guy!

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

tatum has brown walker and Hayward. Lebron in his 3rd year had freaking Eric snow and some euros I never even heard of. And to be honest I never heard of Eric snow either
I loved Eric Snow.  Dude was a defender extraordinaire and tough as nails.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

I loved Eric Snow.  Dude was a defender extraordinaire and tough as nails.

That 76ers backcourt with him and Iverson was fantastic during the turn of the century playoff run.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Play making is a skill, which neither J is elite at. They need some time to develop it, along with other things. There’s a chance they may never be elite at play making, not everyone can do it like Luca Dinacci, but it’s ok, that’s why we have Kemba.
I have to see this Dinacci guy!

Type on a train + autocomplete =  :o

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Eh, I'm not concerned about it today.  3 to 4 years from now, yeah I'd be concerned if they don't improve.

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Tell me what I should be seeing, instead of just one person's personnal bias. Brown's per 36 assist in the nba vs fiba is 2.4 vs 2.5. not a huge difference, esp considering the small sample size and difference in gameplay.

Also if its due to schemes, shouldnt Hayward and Kemba be averaging at around Brown and Tatum's level?

Listen, the reason why they have low assist numbers is because both are young and hasnt developed those skills yet. This is why guys like Hayward are valuable, not everyone can be a playmaking wing. It is a skill.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Tell me what I should be seeing, instead of just one person's personnal bias. Brown's per 36 assist in the nba vs fiba is 2.4 vs 2.5. not a huge difference, esp considering the small sample size and difference in gameplay.

Also if its due to schemes, shouldnt Hayward and Kemba be averaging at around Brown and Tatum's level?

Listen, the reason why they have low assist numbers is because both are young and hasnt developed those skills yet. This is why guys like Hayward are valuable, not everyone can be a playmaking wing. It is a skill.

I think you just answered your own question there.

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm not sure the lack of passing is on Stevens, I think it's more of a maturity thing. 

I've heard it said on this very site that, "assists are over-rated?"  :angel:

Yeah, like I said, IMO its a maturity thing.

Tatum is like a kid with the keys to a new car, its like he now belongs to the cool kids club, he's an all-star.

What will he end up is the question, a James Harden type? Or a Kevin Garnet type? Somewhere along the line hopefully he'll figure out that the way you win a ring is by getting the entire team involved. 

That's called Celtic basketball. Right now, yeah he needs to look the floor over before he makes up his mind to go one on one.

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »

Offline lou52

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
One of the articles I read this morning on yesterday's game mentioned that Tatum actually had 11 potential assist passes, but only 2 shots were good....the other 9 shots were misses.  As Giselle once said, "Tom (Jayson) can't pass and catch (shoot) the ball".  I think a good stat to track (if it isn't already kept) would be potential assist passes made, rather than just assists, since assists are dependent on the shooters efficiency.