Author Topic: Abdel Nader (merged threads)  (Read 85917 times)

Re: Nader
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Adam Himmelsbach: Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader is the D-League player of the week after averaging 26.5 pts, 6.5 assists & 5.5 rebs at the D-League showcase.
– via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

But if you watched the games, you'd see his defense is James Young bad (unfortunately).
I can't help but wonder if playing defense isn't stressed in the D-League or if the reason players don't come back from Maine playing better defense is simply because the players are bad offensive players and that is why they were in the D-League to begin with. I can't remember any Celtic that went to to Maine and came back playing better defense
Defense is not played in any way shape or form in the Dleague
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Adam Himmelsbach: Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader is the D-League player of the week after averaging 26.5 pts, 6.5 assists & 5.5 rebs at the D-League showcase.
– via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

But if you watched the games, you'd see his defense is James Young bad (unfortunately).
I can't help but wonder if playing defense isn't stressed in the D-League or if the reason players don't come back from Maine playing better defense is simply because the players are bad offensive players and that is why they were in the D-League to begin with. I can't remember any Celtic that went to to Maine and came back playing better defense

Probably B, in my opinion.  In the case of Nader, I'd hope it's fixable.  Many of his (many) failures occurred from losing his man.  He'd watch the ball on the other side of the court, and not feel that his man had taken 2-3 steps away from him (or cut in front of him for a pass at the rim).  I'd think you can improve that skill to a point, but maybe not.  He just let his guy get open repeatedly due to lack of awareness

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Defense is key....   If you want to help a ball club learn to play D.  If not then you can stay in the d league or sit on the end of the bench like young.....   
Diggles

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
nader 's left hand is so good and goes left so well -i had to hunt up a site that said he shoots right
i love his extended left handed layup of the backboard-he could actually become a deadly three point shooter from corners or on catch and shoot--his height,standing reach  and 7-1.5 wingspan are elie measurments and i will call his left hand elite-

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If we're lucky, could see him playing a big role next year as a poor man's Crowder.

When you break it down, Jae Crowder does exactly three things:

1) shoots threes

2) drives in a straight line if you close him out

3) defends three positions.

Nader looks like somebody who could do all of that as well, just not quite as well as Crowder.   That's pretty much the exact bench player that this team is missing.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
If we're lucky, could see him playing a big role next year as a poor man's Crowder.

1) shoots threes

Nader looks like somebody who could do all of that as well, just not quite as well as Crowder.   That's pretty much the exact bench player that this team is missing.

He can't currently defend his own position, let alone three.  Unless he improves substantially, he's not an NBA-caliber player.

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

1) shoots threes

He can't currently defend his own position, let alone three.  Unless he improves substantially, he's not an NBA-caliber player.

"could" do all of that.  Seems large enough to passably defend 4s and quick enough to passably defend 2s eventually.

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

1) shoots threes

"could" do all of that.  Seems large enough to passably defend 4s and quick enough to passably defend 2s eventually.

He has no defensive feel.  If he watches the ball, he doesn't know what his man is doing behind him.  If he watches his man, he has no idea what's going on with the ball.  He can probably get a little better, but court awareness/vision is as much a talent as many other skills, and I don't know that he can get much better.  There is no way he can defend 2s.  He will get lost so much.

He will not be better than Crowder, ever.  I can see him having an NBA career, but not ever in the rotation of a good team.  His defense is that bad.

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

1) shoots threes

He has no defensive feel.  If he watches the ball, he doesn't know what his man is doing behind him.  If he watches his man, he has no idea what's going on with the ball.  He can probably get a little better, but court awareness/vision is as much a talent as many other skills, and I don't know that he can get much better.  There is no way he can defend 2s.  He will get lost so much.

He will not be better than Crowder, ever.  I can see him having an NBA career, but not ever in the rotation of a good team.  His defense is that bad.

I don't actually watch D-League games so I will defer if you do. 

That said, this is surprising information to me given that 1) all the articles refer to him as being a two-way player; 2) he had better defensive numbers than offensive numbers in college.

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And let us not forget his turnovers. He is terrible at turning over the ball and had been since college. He has, both at Maine and in college, had more turnovers than assists. Is turniver percentage is incredibly high. That isnt good if you want to be an NBA rotational bench player, which is probably his ceiling.

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

1) shoots threes

I don't actually watch D-League games so I will defer if you do. 

That said, this is surprising information to me given that 1) all the articles refer to him as being a two-way player; 2) he had better defensive numbers than offensive numbers in college.

I do watch some D-league.  His numbers look fine.  But you know how when James Young plays defense, he's lost most of the time?  Nader is the same way.  If he gets one steal a game, it won't remotely make up for the half-dozen wide open shots he gives up.  And I mean a half dozen in 8 minutes.  Offenses will target him.  It isn't an occasional error -- he just loses sight of what's not going on directly in front of him.

I remember a play from this past Saturday -- his man was on the block, and the ball on the other side of the court.  Nader cheated a little more into the paint.  I don't know why -- maybe for a rebound, maybe to play help defense.  His man just jogged around him and caught a pass at the rim for a wide-open layup.  Nader was still on the other side of the paint, helpless, guarding no one.

There were several plays where he just completely lost his man, by several feet, leading to open jumpers and undefended drives.  I think they attacked him 5 straight possessions at the start of the 3rd quarter.  If D-league offenses have target you as the weak link, it's going to be really tough up a level.

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
And let us not forget his turnovers. He is terrible at turning over the ball and had been since college. He has, both at Maine and in college, had more turnovers than assists. Is turniver percentage is incredibly high. That isnt good if you want to be an NBA rotational bench player, which is probably his ceiling.

This I think could be less of an issue because he's going to be a 3-and-D roleplayer in the NBA.  He will basically never handle the ball.

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i think its too early to judge at college he led his teams in steals  37 or 1.1 at iowa and at northern illinois 1.3 per -that i have read usually translates to good defense
 nader also had 23 blocks-his 7-1.5 wingspan helps in both those areas --at d league level he given assignments all over the place along with his teammates-
-morrison knows nader has got to work on d to make it on celtics-

his defense was bad,i think he was gassed because i never saw it like that in maine-i noticed lack of effort at times-i am too tired too go back and watch some red claw games looking at defense but going forward i will

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:32:06 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Abdel Nader (merged threads)
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
My father forwarded this article on Nader.  Good highlights of his array of moves. 

http://fansided.com/2017/01/26/boston-celtics-nba-draft-dleague-abdel-nader-maine/
Yup