Author Topic: ESPN Bias  (Read 2776 times)

ESPN Bias
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Over the years, ESPN has disappointed me greatly.  They have gone from a legitimate sports news source to another one of those sensatialized show, that they'll get something that controversial and pound it to the door.  The worse is the entire bias they have.  When Burress was arrested, there were reporters outside his door.  On Sportscenter, you could fast forward the first 20 minutes because it was all Burrress, compared to Ben being arrested, which they barely mention.

Now I think a more obvious one is the McGuire thing.  The guy just admitted to using steroids, which we can all agree is not necessarily news.  However, for the first 7 minutes, Sportscenter talked about how Jack Del Rio was contacted by USC for a coaching position.  Really?  When you pounded us with Clemens and Bonds stuff, and this bombshell comes second (and barely mentioend)?  If this was Bonds, we would know what type of underwear he was wearing when he was sticking the needle.  The bias is just incredible.
Baby Jesus!

Re: ESPN Bias
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its called burying the lead. They mention the biggest story of the day and don't get to it until well into the program. Its supposed to keep viewers watching long enough to get invested in the program.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wouldn't exactly call the McGwire thing a "bombshell".   Most public opinion already swayed in the direction that he was "user".  His admission just confirmed what most of us already knew.

Also, he's been out of the spotlight for some time now.  Bonds, Clemens, Petitte, etc.  were still playing or actively looking for a team to play on at the time.  

Plus, as a public, we've grown accustomed to the ideas of athletes "cheating" with performance enhancers.  When it happens now, most people aren't blinking an eye.

I will agree with you, though, that ESPN has become pretty bad in the past 10 years or so.  They're definitely agenda driven with a lot of stories.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
or how espn could not cover "spygate" enough, but tim donaghy admitting to fixing games barely made their show.

from the day espn hired stuart scott and allowed him to do his little act, the network has gone downhill. it gets worse and worse each year. college gameday on saturday morning is all they do well.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I kind of take it back for this topic a little bit, since I wrote this they've been talking about it pretty extensively.  I just couldn't believe that Jack del Rio talking or not talking to USC would be the lead story over this.  Still, the comments right now is somewhat in favor of Big Mac, as in burying the hatchet.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
or how espn could not cover "spygate" enough, but tim donaghy admitting to fixing games barely made their show.

from the day espn hired stuart scott and allowed him to do his little act, the network has gone downhill. it gets worse and worse each year. college gameday on saturday morning is all they do well.

You have to admit some of the commercials are good. Other than that though, not soo much.