Author Topic: Patriots 2019 Offseason  (Read 26660 times)

Re: Patriots 2019 Offseason
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Gordon reinstated.

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gordon reinstated.
Well that just made things much more interesting offensively for the Patriots. They now have a legit, near the top talent wise, down the field receiver. Harry can concentrate on his more natural mid range/seam possession type receiver role and, of course, there is Edelman, maybe the league's premier underneath receiver. Add that to what I think will be an excellent running game and the Pats might be looking at back to back titles. This really is huge for New England....

....if Gordon stays clean. Big if.

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Very good news, indeed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2019, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm rooting for the guy. He obviously has demons, and I hope this is the time he can truly stay right. Obviously this is huge for the Patriots, but this is truly about that young man and his life.
#JKJB

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Gordon has all the talent necessary to fill in for Gronk as a credible red zone threat.

I heard Brady is keeping an eye out for him. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:29:51 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2019, 08:17:13 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Like everyone I hope JG is able to stay healthy. Praise to Goodell for loosening the rigidity of the suspension rules with regard to addiction/ mental health . 

But if (as it seems to be) Gordon’s issue is a chronic issue, I think the question asked has to be: what is going to be different this time?  Is Gordon’s treatment different? Is his support different? Is he at a different place in terms of self-awareness and self-management?  Is going back to the old settings that have always led to recurrence really the best thing for him?

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Like everyone I hope JG is able to stay healthy. Praise to Goodell for loosening the rigidity of the suspension rules with regard to addiction/ mental health . 

But if (as it seems to be) Gordon’s issue is a chronic issue, I think the question asked has to be: what is going to be different this time?  Is Gordon’s treatment different? Is his support different? Is he at a different place in terms of self-awareness and self-management?  Is going back to the old settings that have always led to recurrence really the best thing for him?
I wonder if the league is reconsidering extensive punishment for pot use. Gordon's issue has seemingly been all about marijuana use, at least from reports. But with pot legal for medical use for pain in over 30 states, perhaps the NFL(Goodell) is re-evaluating punishment for marijuana use. If so, that could explain Gordon's reinstatement.

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

I wonder if the league is reconsidering extensive punishment for pot use. Gordon's issue has seemingly been all about marijuana use, at least from reports. But with pot legal for medical use for pain in over 30 states, perhaps the NFL(Goodell) is re-evaluating punishment for marijuana use. If so, that could explain Gordon's reinstatement.

It's pretty crazy that, in this day and age, an NFL player who takes enormous amounts of punishment isn't allowed to use a safe natural painkiller.

Would the league rather see these guys use opiates instead?

Honestly Goodell probably will use it as  leverage in the next CBA. The players obviously want it, and a morally bankrupt suit like Roger isn't giving anything away for free.

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

It's pretty crazy that, in this day and age, an NFL player who takes enormous amounts of punishment isn't allowed to use a safe natural painkiller.

Would the league rather see these guys use opiates instead?

Honestly Goodell probably will use it as  leverage in the next CBA. The players obviously want it, and a morally bankrupt suit like Roger isn't giving anything away for free.

I could be wrong - and am google-lazy right now - but I thought Gordon’s primary problem was alcohol dependence and probably a dual diagnosis with depression or anxiety...  anyone who knows, please clarify.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:30:48 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Here is an article, NG.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

His suspensions were for banned substances. Almost all were said to be pot but this last suspension there were questions of possibly something else, but that wasn't released. His relatively quick reinstatement tells me it was probably pot again.

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Here is an article, NG.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

His suspensions were for banned substances. Almost all were said to be pot but this last suspension there were questions of possibly something else, but that wasn't released. His relatively quick reinstatement tells me it was probably pot again.
I heard alcohol might be violation if you are on the substance abuse probation. Not sure if it applies here. Any idea if NFL restricted alcohol?

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am glad that Josh Gordon will be able to start the season with the Pats but unfortunately, it is unlikely that he makes it through a whole season.  I feel bad for Gordon.  From a purely Patriots perspective, we have Ben Watson suspended for the first four games.  So even if Gordon gives us four games, it is a big help.  A whole season would be great, I just don't see how anyone could expect that.

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I still think Gronk is coming back.  When is the bye week for the Pats? Could see him suiting up after that week.

I'm skeptical Gordon will last the season too.   He has had dependency issues since he was very young. Here is a good chronology.  Started with ****, pot and cough syrup in middle school.

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2019, 01:10:28 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I still think Gronk is coming back.  When is the bye week for the Pats? Could see him suiting up after that week.

I'm skeptical Gordon will last the season too.   He has had dependency issues since he was very young. Here is a good chronology.  Started with ****, pot and cough syrup in middle school.

It might depend on how the Pats are doing late in the season, but if they're doing as well as I expect they will be, I think Gronk will come back for the stretch run and the postseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Gordon reinstated.
Well that just made things much more interesting offensively for the Patriots. They now have a legit, near the top talent wise, down the field receiver. Harry can concentrate on his more natural mid range/seam possession type receiver role and, of course, there is Edelman, maybe the league's premier underneath receiver. Add that to what I think will be an excellent running game and the Pats might be looking at back to back titles. This really is huge for New England....

....if Gordon stays clean. Big if.

Could the 2019 offense eclipse the 2007 Patriots?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)