Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62857 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

Eh, it's not so cut and dry.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

I don't want the pick this year.

A 2021 unprotected pick is the best case scenario.

Maybe...

Or by then the team has turned it around and we end up with a non-lottery pick.
Hard to see how they could turn it around in 2 years with their 2 best players being age 30 and 34.  The West isn't going to get easier. 

« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

Maybe...

Hard to see how they could turn it around in 2 years with their 2 best players being age 30 and 34.  The West isn't going to get easier.

I agree, but also know that a lot can change in two years. They could be a low lottery team rather than high lottery.

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

hard to predict this stuff.  When we made that trade with Philly I was already pointing out that the kings could end better in two years and it looks like they are.  Stuff can change quick.  But yeah, you gotta figure Memphis is going to bottom out the next couple seasons.

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

hard to predict this stuff.  When we made that trade with Philly I was already pointing out that the kings could end better in two years and it looks like they are.  Stuff can change quick.  But yeah, you gotta figure Memphis is going to bottom out the next couple seasons.

I trust you my god

« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Tazz this is the first thing we have agreed on in a long time. Tp

« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Is there a team in a worse situation than Memphis? 

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2019, 02:17:14 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

The middle ground is getting the pick in 2020.
It's top 6 protected.

I don't think Memphis will be good next season.
Most probably they're going to lose Gasol in the summer.

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2019, 03:13:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It really doesn't matter if memphis turns it around in 2 years or not. We don't have space on the roster for 4 first round picks this year, and we want to offer a diverse set of picks in an AD trade offer. Future picks mixed with the upcoming picks is a good setup for a trade package

The only thing that matters is the perceived value of the pick. At the moment, things don't look good for memphis. Remember the nets pick? Was perceived to be indisputably a top 3 pick, but we ended up trading what was Collin Sexton for Kyrie

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2019, 06:10:00 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?
Charlotte.  Washington.  Cleveland. Detroit

None of those teams have premier young talent, are riddled with bad contracts, have players injured, and even Cleveland has protections on its 1st for 2 seasons (though it changes to a 2nd if it doesn't transfer).

Gasol and Conley still have decent trade value.  The Grizzlies could move them and rebuild rather easily.  Rebuild might take some time and with the pick protections it complicates things, but I don't think they are in a completely dire situation either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

None of those teams have premier young talent, are riddled with bad contracts, have players injured, and even Cleveland has protections on its 1st for 2 seasons (though it changes to a 2nd if it doesn't transfer).

Gasol and Conley still have decent trade value.  The Grizzlies could move them and rebuild rather easily.  Rebuild might take some time and with the pick protections it complicates things, but I don't think they are in a completely dire situation either.

Cleveland is OK. They're tanking and if Kevin Love comes back he's a tradeable asset. All their bad contracts will be off the book by the time they're read to get back into the free agent market. I think they're fine.

Washington has real talent on their roster, their only problem is Wall. Which is a big one.

Detroit and Charlotte, though, are in bad shape. Them and Memphis have to be the worst 3 situation in the league.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

Cleveland is OK. They're tanking and if Kevin Love comes back he's a tradeable asset. All their bad contracts will be off the book by the time they're read to get back into the free agent market. I think they're fine.

Washington has real talent on their roster, their only problem is Wall. Which is a big one.

Detroit and Charlotte, though, are in bad shape. Them and Memphis have to be the worst 3 situation in the league.
Memphis has real talent on its roster.  Gasol and Conley have value and Jackson was just a top 4 pick (and he wasn't a reach).  Parsons is a bad contract no doubt, but he comes off after 19/20 and in 20/21 they only have Jackson, Anderson, and Conley's player option on the books, so if they move Conley they will be flush with cap space entering that season.  They likely won't own their 2021 pick (as I expect them to try to tank the next 2 seasons), but if they draft correctly and trade off Gasol and Conley, I think they could certainly be a decent team in the 20/21 season and transfer a late lottery type pick to Boston.  They need to just bite the bullet and trade Gasol at the deadline and make it known Conley is available as well (they don't need to trade him until the summer though). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

Detroit, Charlotte and Washington are all contending for a playoff spot in the East.  Are any of them under threat of being moved?  Are any of them under the financial constraints that Memphis has as a small market? 

« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

Memphis has real talent on its roster.  Gasol and Conley have value and Jackson was just a top 4 pick (and he wasn't a reach).  Parsons is a bad contract no doubt, but he comes off after 19/20 and in 20/21 they only have Jackson, Anderson, and Conley's player option on the books, so if they move Conley they will be flush with cap space entering that season.  They likely won't own their 2021 pick (as I expect them to try to tank the next 2 seasons), but if they draft correctly and trade off Gasol and Conley, I think they could certainly be a decent team in the 20/21 season and transfer a late lottery type pick to Boston.  They need to just bite the bullet and trade Gasol at the deadline and make it known Conley is available as well (they don't need to trade him until the summer though).

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:
Was talking to a couple of GMs today that both said the next 2-3 weeks would prove unusually important in determining which teams in the middle become buyers/sellers. Memphis getting ahead of it given current slump.

Memphis was always going to be a buyer considering they owe Boston a top-8 protected first-round pick that otherwise rolls over. They want to get that obligation over with this season, and obviously pass along as low a pick as possible.

« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:
Was talking to a couple of GMs today that both said the next 2-3 weeks would prove unusually important in determining which teams in the middle become buyers/sellers. Memphis getting ahead of it given current slump.

Memphis was always going to be a buyer considering they owe Boston a top-8 protected first-round pick that otherwise rolls over. They want to get that obligation over with this season, and obviously pass along as low a pick as possible.

The question is, who is available that gets them out of the bottom eight? And what assets do they have to land that player?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes