Poll

Brown for Bamba straight up. Who says no?

Boston
34 (60.7%)
Orlando
4 (7.1%)
both teams say no
11 (19.6%)
seems like a fair trade
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba  (Read 11095 times)

Re: Bamba?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98558.0

(it's exactly the same idea)

Sorry, I was trying to look for similar threads but there is no search function anymore, right? (Or am I to blind to find it?)
No worries. Yeah, I don't think there is a way to search for old threads.

Back in January, I was a proponent of the idea. Don't think I'd do it today though.

- Bamba hasn't lived up to the hype during his rookie season.
- Assuming we trade Brown, we 'd be left with only 2 players at the SG position: Smart (not a SG, needs the ball in his hands in order to maximize his effectiveness on offense) and Langford (a rookie).
- At the same time, we already have Kanter, Poirier, R. Williams and Theis who can all provide cover at the 5.

The search function is kind-of hidden, but still available:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?action=search

If you can't remember the exact url, the easiest way is to just click on your profile (upper right of screen) and then just change 'profile' to 'search' in the url field and hit enter.

Either way, not ridiculous to start a new thread since the other one was in January. Jaylen has once again proven himself to be a viable high ceiling player and Bamba unfortunately never did much this season.

Re: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Closer comparison would be time lord, not brown.  Brown should bring you a starting PF, not a developmental big.  KP or sabonis for brown straight up...now lets talk.  Siakam...and a few others would be in the discussion.  Brown's ceiling is butler or leonard.  His floor is a 15 ppg 2/3 with elite D.  Not many of those.

The free throw shooting alone will tell you Brown is not similar to Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

Both Kawhi and Butler shoot FTs at more than 80% for their careers.

Jaylen is only a career 65.8% FT shooter.

Both Kawhi and Butler go to the FT line on a regular basis.

Jaylen Brown has yet to prove that he can draw fouls on a regular basis and make FTs on a regular basis.

Buddy Hield was behind Jaylen Brown in terms of development during their sophomore year, but right now Hield is now way better than Jaylen Brown.

We can reassess in 4 years when Jaylen will be the same age Buddy is now. It doesn't make much sense to compare a 22 y/o and a 26 y/o - especially with the Cs being such a mess last year. Even with that, Brown put up a stellar 2019; it's just that his start totally dragged him down. And there's also this thing called defense.

Yes, we can reassess this coming season.

But I doubt Jaylen will ever match Hield's shooting percentages.

If Hield is the starting SG for the Celts right now, problem solved.
There will be no talk of looking for another starting SG.

The definition alone speaks for itself, SG - Shooting Guard.

Brown's 65.8% career FT average is not going to get it done.

Right now Brown is a very good player.

The question is will Brown become a great player?

Re: Bamba?
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98558.0

(it's exactly the same idea)

Sorry, I was trying to look for similar threads but there is no search function anymore, right? (Or am I to blind to find it?)
No worries. Yeah, I don't think there is a way to search for old threads.

Back in January, I was a proponent of the idea. Don't think I'd do it today though.

- Bamba hasn't lived up to the hype during his rookie season.
- Assuming we trade Brown, we 'd be left with only 2 players at the SG position: Smart (not a SG, needs the ball in his hands in order to maximize his effectiveness on offense) and Langford (a rookie).
- At the same time, we already have Kanter, Poirier, R. Williams and Theis who can all provide cover at the 5.

The search function is kind-of hidden, but still available:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?action=search

If you can't remember the exact url, the easiest way is to just click on your profile (upper right of screen) and then just change 'profile' to 'search' in the url field and hit enter.

Either way, not ridiculous to start a new thread since the other one was in January. Jaylen has once again proven himself to be a viable high ceiling player and Bamba unfortunately never did much this season.
Thanks, I didn't know about that. :) TP!

Re: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Closer comparison would be time lord, not brown.  Brown should bring you a starting PF, not a developmental big.  KP or sabonis for brown straight up...now lets talk.  Siakam...and a few others would be in the discussion.  Brown's ceiling is butler or leonard.  His floor is a 15 ppg 2/3 with elite D.  Not many of those.

The free throw shooting alone will tell you Brown is not similar to Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

Both Kawhi and Butler shoot FTs at more than 80% for their careers.

Jaylen is only a career 65.8% FT shooter.

Both Kawhi and Butler go to the FT line on a regular basis.

Jaylen Brown has yet to prove that he can draw fouls on a regular basis and make FTs on a regular basis.

Buddy Hield was behind Jaylen Brown in terms of development during their sophomore year, but right now Hield is now way better than Jaylen Brown.

We can reassess in 4 years when Jaylen will be the same age Buddy is now. It doesn't make much sense to compare a 22 y/o and a 26 y/o - especially with the Cs being such a mess last year. Even with that, Brown put up a stellar 2019; it's just that his start totally dragged him down. And there's also this thing called defense.

Yes, we can reassess this coming season.

But I doubt Jaylen will ever match Hield's shooting percentages.

If Hield is the starting SG for the Celts right now, problem solved.
There will be no talk of looking for another starting SG.

The definition alone speaks for itself, SG - Shooting Guard.

Brown's 65.8% career FT average is not going to get it done.

Right now Brown is a very good player.

The question is will Brown become a great player?

I said we can reassess in 4 years, not this upcoming season.

As for Jaylen vs Buddy on this team, I will still take Jaylen. I am not sure why we would want another high volume shooter in our starting line-up. Jaylen's defense is imperative with this group and he is extremely versatile. Just because he may not ever be the pure shooter Buddy is doesn't make him any less valuable.