Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51083 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The 2013 World Series was a fluke.  In retrospect seems like it had more to do with that mix of veteran players (Napoli, Ortiz, Victorino, Gomes, Salty, Lester, Lackey, Peavey, Uehara, etc).

Man, looking back at that team, just four years ago, there are so many key personalities on that team that are long gone!

I've never been impressed by Farrell.

The Sox are a young, young team with a super high payroll mostly concentrated in players who have contributed little to nothing to their last two playoff appearances.

Not enough power, not enough reliable pitching.

Need a fairly major overhaul.  Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts ... maybe Bradley.  That's the future.  Lots of small-ball hitting and solid defense.  But where do you get the power?  Who pitches?  Who leads the team?

I don't think there is such thing as a fluke world series when you also have won the AL East a few times in there as well. It's the Pats approach; if you are in the mix enough, you might win one if things break right for a few weeks. It's all about being right in the mix consistently.

« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The 2013 World Series was a fluke.  In retrospect seems like it had more to do with that mix of veteran players (Napoli, Ortiz, Victorino, Gomes, Salty, Lester, Lackey, Peavey, Uehara, etc).

Man, looking back at that team, just four years ago, there are so many key personalities on that team that are long gone!

I've never been impressed by Farrell.

The Sox are a young, young team with a super high payroll mostly concentrated in players who have contributed little to nothing to their last two playoff appearances.

Not enough power, not enough reliable pitching.

Need a fairly major overhaul.  Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts ... maybe Bradley.  That's the future.  Lots of small-ball hitting and solid defense.  But where do you get the power?  Who pitches?  Who leads the team?

I don't think there is such thing as a fluke world series when you also have won the AL East a few times in there as well. It's the Pats approach; if you are in the mix enough, you might win one if things break right for a few weeks. It's all about being right in the mix consistently.

What I mean is that it was a perfect storm of players getting hot at the right time and having great chemistry with one another.

I don't think that Farrell deserves much credit at all for that playoff run.

Looking back, it's clear the Sox have lost basically that entire team when you think of who was central to the clubhouse and who came up with most of the clutch plays.  It's an entirely different team now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
'13 was fluky as heck.  It was sandwiched btw two last place seasons.  That screams "fluke".

Doesn't make it any less special, though.  It was one helluva ride. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I hope they hire Gary Disarcina.  He has a history with many of the young players managing in the minor leagues. I have to say I'm a little biased though as he is from my hometown. Haha

« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Really hope the Red Sox go ALL-IN on Cora and make him the next BoSox manager.  ;D

As for power bat, go ALL-IN on JD Martinez, and if that fails, I guess Plan B/C options include Hosmer, Bruce or Carlos Santana (Santana the cheapest option out of the bunch, Hosmer the costliest, but Hosmer tends to be inconsistent too). Though Indians could keep 1 of Bruce/Santana I guess (they won't "lose" both).

I've heard some people say they should sign BOTH JD Martinez and Hosmer/Bruce/Santana (since they are paying a luxury tax ANYWAYS, so why not), OR simply trade for Giancarlos Stanton. I think that would be STUPID and very idiotic to do though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Really hope the Red Sox go ALL-IN on Cora and make him the next BoSox manager.  ;D

As for power bat, go ALL-IN on JD Martinez, and if that fails, I guess Plan B/C options include Hosmer, Bruce or Carlos Santana (Santana the cheapest option out of the bunch, Hosmer the costliest, but Hosmer tends to be inconsistent too). Though Indians could keep 1 of Bruce/Santana I guess (they won't "lose" both).

I've heard some people say they should sign BOTH JD Martinez and Hosmer/Bruce/Santana (since they are paying a luxury tax ANYWAYS, so why not), OR simply trade for Giancarlos Stanton. I think that would be STUPID and very idiotic to do

I agree we need at least one power bat to go with the line up we have.  The problem now is getting a manager that can handle Boston media, primadonna egos, keep developing the young talent and run a pitching staff efficiently.  I am not sure who that is. 

« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Red Sox have made it OFFICIAL. 

Alex Cora the newest manager of the Red Sox.

Great hire!  ;D

Much rather him than Ausmus or Gardenhire (Gardenhire already went to DET). Varitek seems like he just wasn't interested in becoming a coach/manager, so he probably wasn't an option.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller