Author Topic: Why do free throws take so long?  (Read 1784 times)

Why do free throws take so long?
« on: June 24, 2019, 03:47:06 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
These guys take forever to shoot their free throws. Why can't the players Just stop the daps with teammates and just shoot the frickin free throws... Maybe each free throw can be treated like how techs are treated, or maybe they can force teams to not rearrange their positions on the block after the first free throw

Re: Why do free throws take so long?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:36 AM »

Offline djsway104

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 30
They're trying to catch their breath

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 03:52:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Of all the things about the NBA to see fault in, this is your biggest complaint?

Media timeouts are far more annoying than players taking a while to shoot free throws
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:10:43 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It's definitely boring.  Especially at the end of games when it goes in foul mode.

A simple fix would be to cut the time to take a shot down to 8 secs then enforce it.  If they can immediately shoot it and make it then they don't need more than 8 seconds.  And if that is still too much time, then take it down to 5 seconds. 

I understand the rest aspect for the players, but they get plenty of timeouts.  Also, it would increase the unpredictable nature because more mistakes would be made, and it would help separate out weaker teams from the better teams.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:11:16 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I remember Dwight Howard took his sweet time with his free throw that he got a technical foul for it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:25:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
They should make them so if you miss the first you don't get the second. That would speed the game up.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 05:28:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They should make them so if you miss the first you don't get the second. That would speed the game up.

I disagree with that completely.  It would slow the game down, because it would incentivize fouling even more, rather than trying to force turnovers and bad shots.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 06:07:57 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I take it you’re not a baseball fan.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:35:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Of all the things about the NBA to see fault in, this is your biggest complaint?

Media timeouts are far more annoying than players taking a while to shoot free throws
Agreed.  Also, infractions with less than 10 seconds left in a game that is out of reach.  Don't call a foul with 0.3 seconds left in a 10 point game!  What a waste of time.  In baseball, they don't plat the bottom of the ninth if the home team is winning.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
kids have such a short attention span for anything.  can't  sit and learn , can not sit still and be calm...so ..hey lets . feed em more drugs to fix everything ...must have now this minute , don't bore me one sec society. Rude , all head bent at 30 degree angle staring at tiny box 24/7 ...looking at what?    The advertising on TV makes me dizzy , , like looking out the window of a,spinning out of control aircraft  .   Spazoid gen. Their hearts will explode

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
These guys take forever to shoot their free throws. Why can't the players Just stop the daps with teammates and just shoot the frickin free throws... Maybe each free throw can be treated like how techs are treated, or maybe they can force teams to not rearrange their positions on the block after the first free throw

Free throws are used to catch a breather sometimes by players.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with the daps part.  It seems like an unnecessary distraction for the shooter and overkill to do it on so many free throws throughout the game.  I'd be in favor of a warning/penalty for any contact with the free throw shooter once he gets to the line.  I do think the free throw shooter should take his 10 seconds if he needs it though to calm down, focus, and catch his breath.

I just had a funny thought- guys like Curry are such great shooters that they could get daps from a teammate in live action before a 3 point attempt under certain circumstances.  If it hasn't happened already I could see it happening at some point.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I agree with the daps part.  It seems like an unnecessary distraction for the shooter and overkill to do it on so many free throws throughout the game.  I'd be in favor of a warning/penalty for any contact with the free throw shooter once he gets to the line.  I do think the free throw shooter should take his 10 seconds if he needs it though to calm down, focus, and catch his breath.

I just had a funny thought- guys like Curry are such great shooters that they could get daps from a teammate in live action before a 3 point attempt under certain circumstances.  If it hasn't happened already I could see it happening at some point.
the daps are dumb to me. It just feels like a dumb superstition being perpetuated.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 08:52:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They get 10 seconds. Why not use it.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Quit whining ;D

You should've seen Adrian Dantley and HIS free throw routine....every single one of them.

They mostly went in, too.