Author Topic: Cousins to the wiz (Rumor)  (Read 7176 times)

Cousins to the wiz (Rumor)
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
hearing boogie for porter in a sign and trade , if true thats gonna make the wiz a tough out
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:38:22 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Cousins to the wiz
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
hearing boogie for porter in a sign and trade , if true thats gonna make the wiz a tough out

Where did you read this?  Not questioning the veracity of your post, just legitimately wondering cause I did not see anything.  Without knowing the details, framework looks like a really good WIN-WIN for both teams......

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Source?

If it does happen less scared of the Wizards with Cousins post-achilles than with Porter. Porter is a pretty good player and I feel like he can give them more if he's allowed too.

History of older big men with this injury is scary.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I think that Pelicans team, if they can bring back rondo, is pretty interesting. They were reasonably competitive with golden state with horrible wing play. Adding a guy like Porter to that? Who knows

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Can the Wizards even do a sign and trade?  Won't they be in the tax and thus unable to acquire a player via sign and trade?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Even if this happens what is the earliest that Boogie could be available? Late February - March? I don't feel threatened by that at least this season.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah gonna need a source on this one before reacting. Interesting concept though.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:38:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not seeing this trade anywhere. It hasn’t happened.

Cousins and Wall were a good duo in college 10 years ago

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Random rumor and speculation.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Cousins to the Wiz isn’t impossible, but it is very difficult if he signs for the max or within a couple million of it.  For example, if the trade was Otto Porter for Cousins straight up, Cousins could make no more than about $25.5 million in year 1, and the Wizards could have no more than 13 players on their roster without making additional moves, as they would be subject to the hard cap.  Meanwhile, a straight Cousins-Porter swap puts New Orleans above the luxury tax with only 11 players on the roster, so that’s not ideal for them either.

Furthermore, if Cousins negotiates the max, the Wizards would have to send out at least $6.5 million in salary (again leaving them with a 13-man roster).  New Orleans can’t take on that extra salary themselves, because they can only take back $27.2 million in the deal due to Base-Year Compensation rules, and Porter makes a little over $26 million himself.

All this is to say that a Cousins S&T with Washington is a very difficult thing to negotiate, and will likely require at least a third team to help out.  So I doubt that this is a close-to-done deal 5 days before teams can negotiate with players.

Re: Cousins to the wiz (Rumor)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They'd have to drop salary in any such sign and trade to end up below the apron. Its possible but difficult to structure it that way I think? Not sure how to make it work myself.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Cousins to the Wiz isn’t impossible, but it is very difficult if he signs for the max or within a couple million of it.  For example, if the trade was Otto Porter for Cousins straight up, Cousins could make no more than about $25.5 million in year 1, and the Wizards could have no more than 13 players on their roster without making additional moves, as they would be subject to the hard cap.  Meanwhile, a straight Cousins-Porter swap puts New Orleans above the luxury tax with only 11 players on the roster, so that’s not ideal for them either.

Furthermore, if Cousins negotiates the max, the Wizards would have to send out at least $6.5 million in salary (again leaving them with a 13-man roster).  New Orleans can’t take on that extra salary themselves, because they can only take back $27.2 million in the deal due to Base-Year Compensation rules, and Porter makes a little over $26 million himself.

All this is to say that a Cousins S&T with Washington is a very difficult thing to negotiate, and will likely require at least a third team to help out.  So I doubt that this is a close-to-done deal 5 days before teams can negotiate with players.

Achilles’ injuries are career killers. Wizards giving him any kind of money now would be a grave error.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Re: Cousins to the wiz (Rumor)
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip