Poll

Which would have been the best team under modern rules?

the Bucks
2 (10.5%)
the Bulls
1 (5.3%)
the Celtics
12 (63.2%)
the Lakers
2 (10.5%)
the Sixers
0 (0%)
the Spurs
1 (5.3%)
the Warriors
1 (5.3%)
other (please name below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Poll: Best starting 5 of all time  (Read 11609 times)

Re: Poll: Best starting 5 of all time
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2023, 09:51:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Best team or most big names ?
Sum of the parts, the '83 Sixers were a juggernaut and would beat every team you have listed other than possibly the '86 Celtics.
You are ranking a team that lost in the 2nd round above a team that essentially swept the entire playoffs and won the title.

You're not understanding what is being discussed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2023, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Apologies for veering off topic, but IMO this is (by position) the best starting five of all-time.

PG John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Kevin Durant
PF Larry Bird
C   Bill Russell

Mr. Positionless: Magic Johnson & LeBron James (tied)
I'm tempted to say you're leaving off Magic at the 1 and James at the 4 because of an anti-Lakers bias.

I want to encourage this bias and see it continue to flourish.

----------
Giving another vote to Clay's choice of the 11 Celtics though. That team is incredibly talented and incredibly deep, especially in the big department.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2023, 12:42:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Apologies for veering off topic, but IMO this is (by position) the best starting five of all-time.

PG John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Kevin Durant
PF Larry Bird
C   Bill Russell

Mr. Positionless: Magic Johnson & LeBron James (tied)
I'm tempted to say you're leaving off Magic at the 1 and James at the 4 because of an anti-Lakers bias.

I want to encourage this bias and see it continue to flourish.

----------
Giving another vote to Clay's choice of the 11 Celtics though. That team is incredibly talented and incredibly deep, especially in the big department.
There really isn't a defense to Stockton over Magic and Durant over James.  It is also hard to not have Kareem at center, but on a Celtics blog I get why Russell would make the list ahead of Kareem.

That said, I'll take Magic, James, and Kareem add in Duncan and Kobe (or West) and I'd like my chances against that team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2023, 04:38:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
LA Lakers
PG: Magic
SG: Jerry West
SF: LeBron
PF: AD
C: Kareem

I take this Lakers squad just as you have it (as much as it hurts).  My only hesitation is that LeBron and AD are both kind of ring chasers, not as much of true Lakers as some of the others (Kareem was traded too I guess).  Not sure how many season would be needed to qualify for this type of all time team status. 

The more I think about it, I don't think AD should be on the team, here is my modified version

PG: Magic
SG: Jerry West
SF: Baylor
PF: LeBron
C: Kareem

I have both Magic and LeBron as top 3 all time.  I know I have Magic higher than most but to me, he is right there with Jordan and LeBron.  You could put in Kobe for West, I would be fine with either.  And I definitely have Kareem over Shaq in any era.