Author Topic: Kyrie called Lebron...  (Read 3873 times)

Re: Kyrie called Lebron...
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  What is up with this.

It's because Bill was very vocal about saying the team was going to be awesome this year, 67 wins etc, and now it's clear they're going to have to work hard to get to 50ish wins.

In other words, he's got hurt feelings.

My guess is he also bet a substantial amount of money on the Celtics over.

Bill tends to go against whoever the star player is in that situation.  Responsibility for whether the team meets, exceeds, or falls short of expectations is on the guy that is the face of the franchise.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Simmons, Curran, Goodman all down on Kyrie post interview regarding calling Lebron..

Is this, really such a big deal?

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Surprised so many see this as a bad thing. Maybe they are right.

I'll give Kyrie the benefit of the doubt for now - that his is coming from a good place and that Kyrie is genuinely trying to change the mistakes he has making lately in creating divisions within his own team.

Time will tell either way.

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Simmons, Curran, Goodman all down on Kyrie post interview regarding calling Lebron..

The funny thing is, most replies (especially on Goodman's tweet) are criticizing the media for ignoring everything else that Kyrie said to make it about the Lebron part.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. What is up with this.
I heard that. Zach Lowe seemed confused by the suggestion and wouldn't even respond to it. Simmons is all over the map with Kyrie.
What was the exact trade he suggested?

edit: Never mind, I listened to the podcast to find out myself.

His exact words were ''I wonder what would happen if Doc Rivers called them right now and said, we trade you Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and the Boban and Milos expirings for Kyrie'', which is a joke of an idea to say the least.

My first thought was he would have proposed something along the lines of

Tobias Harris + SGA + Jerome Robinson (#14 last June) + renounce protections on their pick this/next year for Kyrie + Bird + Yabu

Don't say I would do it, but at least it would have made some sort of sense. Anyway, I'm really high on SGA and I got intrigued. That's pretty much all.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:07:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

The funny thing is, most replies (especially on Goodman's tweet) are criticizing the media for ignoring everything else that Kyrie said to make it about the Lebron part.

Yes... like Jaylen was right

Pretty humble thing to say

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Seriously, this is a tough team to lead.

As promising as Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Ojeleye, Yabu and Williams are, they are not consistently reliable on the court, which is really common for guys on rookie contracts.

Obviously Hayward is struggling. And with Horford's age, his consistency is declining as well.

Theis is somewhat matchup-dependent and Baynes has been injured quite a bit.

Morris and Smart have been the two most reliable players on this team other than Irving.

Playing with a team like that would be frustrating, with players constantly teasing their ability, but just when you lean on them, they prove unreliable.

Irving hasn't ever dissed the talent. He genuinely believes in the young talent on the team. In fact, even in frustrating moments, he has tried to breath confidence into those young guys, because he knows the Cs need them to win a championship, and believes in their ability and game.

People aren't perfect. Maybe Irving should have been more quiet. I don't mind it, and I don't think it is causing any problems in the locker room. I think the frustration is the inconsistent play as a team on the court, not the comments off the court.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  What is up with this.

It's because Bill was very vocal about saying the team was going to be awesome this year, 67 wins etc, and now it's clear they're going to have to work hard to get to 50ish wins.

In other words, he's got hurt feelings.

My guess is he also bet a substantial amount of money on the Celtics over.

Bill tends to go against whoever the star player is in that situation.  Responsibility for whether the team meets, exceeds, or falls short of expectations is on the guy that is the face of the franchise.

I’m pretty sure Bill lurks on this forum and I’ll just say this, stop picking favorites because of your predictions. Just because you’re wrong about something doesn’t mean something else has to justify it. Not everything belongs in conspiracy Bill thinking. For every Luka you were right about there is a Hezonia that you were wrong about. [/rant]

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Leadership is hard. 

I was an infantry and MP platoon leader in the Army and it was by far the hardest thing I ever did in my life and I was in the Guard and Reserves .  You never get to be "off." That being said everyone is human and makes mistakes, especially in stressful situations. Professional athletes are celebrities and their mistakes are broadcast to the world. Most of us get to make our leadership mistakes in private and not on live TV and they don't get amplified in social media. Kyrie owned the mistake the key is to learn from it and not make the same mistake again.

I tend to agree with this sentiment and the sentiment poster tonydelk shared that this may actually be Kyrie growing (and by the way no one has been harder on Kyrie than myself).

Everyone makes mistakes.  The ability to reflect on mistakes and take steps to correct them (ie reaching out to a former teammate and apologizing, or extending an olive-branch to a current teammate) is real leadership - not the fake BS that most people put forward as leadership nowadays. 

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Kyrie calling LeBron is the definition of leadership.

Celtics should do whatever they can to re-sign this guy.

I was wrong about this cat.

Irving has all the physical talent and skill in the world....now he’s becoming a teammate others will not only follow....but die for him.

Great for Irving - but why did he have to tell everyone ? Why couldn't he just call Lebron and keep it to himself ?

Unfortunately, because it's all about Kyrie and he wanted to put himself in a better light after spending the past week shoving his foot into his mouth. What a self-centered, self-absorbed fraud this guy is - though almost no one on this board will understand the truth.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:30:19 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Irving has all the physical talent and skill in the world....now he’s becoming a teammate others will not only follow....but die for him.

Great for Irving - but why did he have to tell everyone ? Why couldn't he just call Lebron and keep it to himself ?

Unfortunately, because he is obsessed with himself and wanted to put himself in a better light after spending the past week shoving his foot into his mouth. What a self-centered, self-absorbed fraud this guy is - though almost no one on this board will understand the truth.
LOL.

I wish everyone was as insightful as you! Get over yourself

Gouuuuuuuuuuk, quick on the draw tonite I see.

And what about all the previous comments by other posters who share my opinion - Are you so concerned with me that you only respond to my opinions ? I am flattered.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Surprised so many see this as a bad thing. Maybe they are right.

I'll give Kyrie the benefit of the doubt for now - that his is coming from a good place and that Kyrie is genuinely trying to change the mistakes he has making lately in creating divisions within his own team.

Time will tell either way.
Well at least he is repairing divisions that he created on his former team. :o  Name dropping Lebron and their phone call to the whole world seems to me like it’s just Kyrie trying to create his own narrative for public consumption- pretty much the exact thing that got him into trouble a few days ago.

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't find this to be particularly encouraging.  Lebron is great in a lot of areas, but I don't think he's a great leader.  His locker room wasn't cohesive, he was passive aggressive, he pouted, he isolated players, he took plays off, he undermined his coach, he criticized management, he wouldn't commit to the team.

Lebron is more of a "lead by example" guy, and in the past few seasons that hasn't really started until the playoffs.

Bingo ! 

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Kyrie becoming a leader in the locker room would be a great development, but yeah, his self-awareness and ability to lead at 26 are big question marks. Here's hoping.

This is a moment when Horford, Hayward and Stevens' "nice guy" style really hurts us - those 3 should have the young guys in check long before Kyrie gets involved.

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Unfortunately, because he is obsessed with himself and wanted to put himself in a better light after spending the past week shoving his foot into his mouth. What a self-centered, self-absorbed fraud this guy is - though almost no one on this board will understand the truth.
LOL.

I wish everyone was as insightful as you! Get over yourself

Gouuuuuuuuuuk, quick on the draw tonite I see.

And what about all the previous comments by other posters who share my opinion - Are you so concerned with me that you only respond to my opinions ? I am flattered.
You're the only one with the ridiculous personal attacks aimed at a player. Calling a guy a "self-centred, self-absorbed fraud" is just hilarious, considering it's purely based off his public image, which you irrationally hate.
I don't think any posters besides maybe 2 or 3 share your vitriolic and nonsensical hatred for a Celtic, and even their takes aren't as crazy as yours routinely are
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)