Author Topic: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk  (Read 12663 times)

Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/

For the Celts the bottom line is , this was likely the best package the team could get back

Re: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
there is a huge distinction that everyone is missing here...best trade available does not make it a good trade...the trade needs to be judged on its own merits...they are not mutually inclusive...pre-supposing that best trade available is a pre-requisite or factor in evaluating the trade is chicken or the egg logic...i don't think it's valid...when you judge the trade on its own merits...the conclusion is obvious...i won't even bother to explain why...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:14:44 PM by rutzan »

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

This time he completely lost his head and Mark Cuban gave him his own medicine. Stuff like "the market just wasn't there" IMO is what commentators say - smart league execs know circumstances change like the wind. What if Derrick Rose goes down in a month? If one team becomes desperate, Ainge could have got leverage, started a bidding war and got something real that he actually wanted.

Waiting would have made the worst-case scenario slightly worse and the best-case scenario an actual trade instead of a fire sale.

BTW - Mavs taking a risk. Yeah, it's sports. Nothing goes according to plan. It doesn't mean you shouldn't seek fair value on your deals.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"It will happen because he's told them he wants out, and no one believes me but that's the truth," MacMullan said. "And I don't see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where."

8/31/2014.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

This time he completely lost his head and Mark Cuban gave him his own medicine. Stuff like "the market just wasn't there" IMO is what commentators say - smart league execs know circumstances change like the wind. What if Derrick Rose goes down in a month? If one team becomes desperate, Ainge could have got leverage, started a bidding war and got something real that he actually wanted.

Waiting would have made the worst-case scenario slightly worse and the best-case scenario an actual trade instead of a fire sale.

BTW - Mavs taking a risk. Yeah, it's sports. Nothing goes according to plan. It doesn't mean you shouldn't seek fair value on your deals.

We made the trade when we did because Friday was the deadline to complete trades and have the players eligible to be moved again by the trade deadline.  Same thing Houston unsuccessfully tried with Asik last year, we just didn't announce it the way they did.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
"It will happen because he's told them he wants out, and no one believes me but that's the truth," MacMullan said. "And I don't see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where."

8/31/2014.

"Jackie lost her fastball" - one of my favorite quotes from a poster here I can't give proper credit to

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

In the last 2 years how many teams called to seriously inquire about obtaining Rondo?  How long do you expect Danny to have to wait?  Until Rondo walks without us getting compensated?

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

We made the trade when we did because Friday was the deadline to complete trades and have the players eligible to be moved again by the trade deadline.  Same thing Houston unsuccessfully tried with Asik last year, we just didn't announce it the way they did.

+1. Plus we got a huge TE in the deal

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
This article definitely made me feel a little bit better when I read it this morning. Lowe is a pretty good basketball mind, and he seems to be pretty plugged into the league.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Read the whole thing at lunch. Made me feel better.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
That only matters if it allows to get value, which we didn't. Now we're just gonna get bent over a barrel in 2 months to get rid of Wright.

There is value in doing the trade in this window, but if the market just isn't there, wait and see if the market changes. The limited demand for Rondo at this time clearly drove the asking price more than the wider pool of players that both sides could move. Ainge should have recognized that and told the Mavs "give us a legit asset or we'll just wait until someone else does."

I do love Zach Lowe, I just strongly disagree with him on this one.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

8/31/2014.

"Jackie lost her fastball" - one of my favorite quotes from a poster here I can't give proper credit to

Bingo. I had forgotten about that dust up. Looks like she was right on.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Even if Rose got hurt, what in the world could Chicago send us in exchange for Rondo that wouldn't leave them no better off?  Pau?  Butler?  Gibson?  Noah?  Rose?  How would swapping any of those players for Rondo work?

You can't just imagine the craziest scenario and then judge this deal against that.

1.  We had to send Rondo to a team with whom he would be willing to resign.  that probably eliminates at least 20 teams off the top and maybe 25.

2.  The teams that are left have to actually want Rondo.  How many of the top 5 to 10 teams in the league aren't already happy with their PG?

3.  The other team has to have something of some value to Boston.  Ainge got a first rounder (probably to be in the mid to low 20s in 2016), a high PER big in Wright, a young scrapper in Crowder and a bridge PG in Nelson to help man the position while Smart develops.  Is that a good deal?  Heck, no.  It's pretty bad but let's not kid ourselves that there were a bunch of superior options.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

8/31/2014.

I'm one of those who pooh-pooh'd Jackie's comment.  Maybe she just got lucky but she sure looks a lot smarter than me right now.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
  I was just going to start a thread on much this same topic!  There is a very good chance that this all goes horribly wrong for the mavs and for Rondo!  5 of the next 6 games are at home, 4 of them against very tough teams in SAS, Atl., OKC, and Was. with a game at home against the lakers and a road game in Pho. sandwiched in the middle!  Even if you think this will all work out in the end it is very likely it will take time for this team to gel.  If playoff Rondo does not show up on a nightly basis which he very likely does not this could turn into a dumpster fire real quick for both the Mavs and Rondo!