Author Topic: Redsox need to revamp their lineup now  (Read 3500 times)

Redsox need to revamp their lineup now
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:02:32 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Francona honestly is more like a lucky manager who has good relations with his players. But he is a heck of a dumb coach in terms of strategy sometimes. Yesterday for example, mike lowell could have easily bunted a run in(execution baseball) but francona wanted a "bang" 2 run rbi or more instead and it failed

Same goes the past month of leaving bucholz in the rotation and/or if its not his call to leave him out there too long resulting in another loss

So francona has to stop this "loyalty" bs at this point of the season and put together something so that we don't have to sweat a wild card place instead of the sure 1st

1st get bucholz out of the rotation now. Don't care if he gives us a solid performance next start, i lost faith in the kid for the rest of the season

pitching lineup

1st beckett
2nd dice k
3rd Lester
4th wakefield
5th anyone not named bucholz

pen
setup - masterson
closer - pap
declaremen
chris smith
aardarsman
timlin(should never go out in crucial situations again)
lopez
oki

hitting lineup

Drew
pedroia
ortiz
youkilis
lowell
Bay
Lowrie
Ellsbury
Tek

Francona needs to create a lineup and plays(playoff style) that works to reach 1st place and not mess around anymore

Re: Redsox need to revamp their lineup now
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I hear what you're saying, but Francona has won two World Series.  I've learned to defer to his expertise, even if it sometimes feels counter-intuitive to me.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
also, were the number one ranked offense. surely that will drop a bit with manny gone, but were not exactly the expos when it comes to hitting.

we'll be fine till we hit the playoffs, which we will between the yanks being bad and us having the easiest sept. schedule. problem is i think we'll get the WC. i don't want to be a fatalist, but the angles look like the white sox in 06 ATM, wild card winner gets the privilege of getting tossed in front of a freight train  :-\.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
You're gonna bunt Mike Lowell in that situation?  When was the last time Mike Lowell bunted?  He's your #5 hitter and you're gonna take the bat out of his hand?  Unfortunately, he did the worst thing possible in that scenario by hitting into a double play but so it goes.  He gets a hit there and no one is talking about that situation.  Always easy to play Monday morning quarterback there.

"Sure 1st place"?  In case you haven't noticed, the Tampa Bay Rays are a legitimate team this year.  They have the second best record in baseball, have won 8 of their last 10, and are a whopping 45-17 at home.  They're not going away.  They're a playoff caliber team and its not Francona's fault that the Sox aren't in first.  Blame can be shared by a various amount of parties; starting pitching, middle relief, failure to knock in runners on base, etc....

They don't need a complete overhaul here.  I do think the time has come to get Bucholtz out of the rotation.  I think Masterson might be a fix at the #5 starter spot. 

Also, the Sox don't need to grab 1st place.  They are in quite a good position to win the wild card as a fallback.  They have a bunch of home games coming up in September and you're looking at a team who has been there before and experience will play a factor down the stretch.  The Yanks just got swept and don't look good themselves.  Twins are the only other team that might make a run at the wild card but I like the Sox chances there. 

It just seems over-reactionary to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
also, were the number one ranked offense. surely that will drop a bit with manny gone, but were not exactly the expos when it comes to hitting.

we'll be fine till we hit the playoffs, which we will between the yanks being bad and us having the easiest sept. schedule. problem is i think we'll get the WC. i don't want to be a fatalist, but the angles look like the white sox in 06 ATM, wild card winner gets the privilege of getting tossed in front of a freight train  :-\.

Explain please....

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33:03 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
You're gonna bunt Mike Lowell in that situation?  When was the last time Mike Lowell bunted?  He's your #5 hitter and you're gonna take the bat out of his hand?  Unfortunately, he did the worst thing possible in that scenario by hitting into a double play but so it goes.  He gets a hit there and no one is talking about that situation.  Always easy to play Monday morning quarterback there.

"Sure 1st place"?  In case you haven't noticed, the Tampa Bay Rays are a legitimate team this year.  They have the second best record in baseball, have won 8 of their last 10, and are a whopping 45-17 at home.  They're not going away.  They're a playoff caliber team and its not Francona's fault that the Sox aren't in first.  Blame can be shared by a various amount of parties; starting pitching, middle relief, failure to knock in runners on base, etc....

They don't need a complete overhaul here.  I do think the time has come to get Bucholtz out of the rotation.  I think Masterson might be a fix at the #5 starter spot. 

Also, the Sox don't need to grab 1st place.  They are in quite a good position to win the wild card as a fallback.  They have a bunch of home games coming up in September and you're looking at a team who has been there before and experience will play a factor down the stretch.  The Yanks just got swept and don't look good themselves.  Twins are the only other team that might make a run at the wild card but I like the Sox chances there. 

are u serious??! the twins and whitesox are breathing down our necks with 65 wins a piece and you are comfortable the wild card is a shoe in for us??

every single pitch, every play, every lineup stratgegy is crucial now. I don't care if your babe ruth, you bunt last nite and get the tying run in. With two outs you can take all the risk you want and tell bay to crank it if he pleases

We lost last nite cuz of poor execution by the manager mainly

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
francona francona francona! what are you doing putting on crisp with his 303 obp at top of the order tonight?! omg. He should be a chemist the way he likes to experiment non stop

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

are u serious??! the twins and whitesox are breathing down our necks with 65 wins a piece and you are comfortable the wild card is a shoe in for us??

every single pitch, every play, every lineup stratgegy is crucial now. I don't care if your babe ruth, you bunt last nite and get the tying run in. With two outs you can take all the risk you want and tell bay to crank it if he pleases

We lost last nite cuz of poor execution by the manager mainly

First of all, either the White Sox or the Twins is going to win the AL central so that automatically eliminates one of them from the wild card discussion.  I never said anywhere that it was a "shoe-in".  I simply mentioned that I like the Sox' chances if it comes down to the Twins and them for the wild card.  Sox have the experience and the favorable schedule down the stretch.  Lots of home games remain and they have an incredible home record.  I don't think the division race is over by any stretch of the imagination either. (After the Mets collapse last year, nothing is beyond the realm or reason but that was more so an exception than the rule).  In regards to Tampa Bay, I just cared to mention that they're a legit team.

You still don't bunt Lowell there.  He's not a bunter.  You don't ask a veteran who probably hasn't bunted in years to take a bunt there.  Bunting is a skill.  You don't see everyone doing it. 

Look, its a 162 game season.  You can't play every game like its a one game playoff.  You do that and you  have burnt out starters and relievers and veterans who are run into the ground.  Last year, down the stretch, everyone was complaining that Francona was resting the guys too much and it was gonna cost them the division title and hurt them in the playoffs.  Look what happened?  They still won the division and ended up winning the World Series.  I'm giving Francona the benefit of the doubt here.  There's ups and downs to every season.  Don't go off the deep end everytime they hit a little bump.

Lastly, Crisp is a career .600 hitter against Denks.  3 hits in 5 at bats including a double and 4 RBIs.
Granted, not the largest sample size but still its a favorable matchup, nonetheless.  Its NOT an example of Francona just "experimenting". 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
So your saying lowell doesn't know how to bunt?? what kind of skill do you possibly need to make sure the bat contacts the ball? Some are better than others but dont' say its a skill.(cuz otherwise its funny how sucky batters are an amazing bunter and good hitters can't bunt a lick)

also 1st when was crisp ever a good leadoff hitter?? 2nd look at his obp this year and third fine he has a good record against danks and  you can play him just not at the top.

I think we are both a little stubborn on our views and you do support francona alot more than myself. Never said he was a bad manager overall but the way he manages once the game is playing really bothers me for some reason(and also with that , those couple of loses because of bonehead moves could cost a playoff spot)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
If Lugo gets more than one start a week when he gets back from his injury every TV in my house will be smashed.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
because lugo is getting paid like 10 million a year and he is a vet he will start again unfortunately. Lowrie is definitely another bill mueller in the making, plus his defence has been stellar.

Redsox can't even waive lugo since nobody will want him.