Author Topic: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny  (Read 39396 times)

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
According to that Rotoworld story, we're giving up Manny, cash *and* two prospects?  For Jason Bay and John Grabow?

I don't like it.  I get the desire to deal Manny, but I wouldn't be throwing in prospects, as well.  I'd rather just make the trade with the Marlins and not worry about getting Bay.

I don't buy it.  My guess is it something along the line of:

Sox get Bay, Grabow, and a prospect from Florida

Florida gets Manny, and a prospect from Boston

Pittsburg gets Hermidia and a prospect from Florida, and another prospect from Boston

The "prospects" from boston would likely be something like Hansen, and a lower level prospect like Reddick, and then the prospect Boston would get would be a power hitting prospect like Mike Stanton.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
if the Red Sox trade Manny, the Red Sox will not make the playoffs. It's as simple as that.

They're giving up Manny AND prospects?

The Yankees have been getting good players for next to nothing.  The Red Sox are about to get played for saps

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Don't even deal Manny.

Let the malcontent play the rest of the year out.

If you are giving up the future just to appease a malcontent then you're not doing the franchise any good in the long run.

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
the worse thing that could happen is if manny stays.  there has been too much anger from both sides.  If they trade him they at least have a shot at the playoffs.  They don't have to re-sign Bay either, they can go after Holiday later on. 

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Supposedly it's all still be negotiated.  We'll see tomorrow!
do it

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
i wish we could get nate mclouth instead of jason bay  :(

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i wish we could get Hanley Ramirez, or Manny would just stop hitting members off the red sox team/staff and act like he wants to be here. even though i beleive that he was happy here until he felt disrespected, which i understand.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:16 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
i wish we could get Hanley Ramirez, or Manny would just stop hitting members off the red sox team/staff and act like he wants to be here. even though i beleive that he was happy here until he felt disrespected, which i understand.

If the Sox throw in Beckett & Lowell, perhaps the Marlins would consider
Yup

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 02:15:18 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
wait... why are we giving up manny and two prospects? well...supposedly, manny is a future hall of famer, hansen makes sense to the pirates becuase we're getting one of their relievers. but what does florida need if we're giving them manny ramirez. seems like we're giving too much up.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 02:20:34 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

If the Sox throw in Beckett & Lowell, perhaps the Marlins would consider

"we got our championship, can we have him back now?"

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 03:35:47 AM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
the worse thing that could happen is if manny stays.  there has been too much anger from both sides.  If they trade him they at least have a shot at the playoffs.   

i'm sorry but this is the most assinine post I've read in a long time. Am I allowed to say that? Is that a personnal attack? I'm sorry if it is. I'd say worse and I would deserve a tommy point or two for it but I'm a nice guy so I'll leave it at that.

You think the Red Sox best chance to make the playoffs is by getting rid of Manny (and his 20 homers, .300 batting avg. and 70 rbis) at all costs even if it means trying to replace his production with a guy who could barely hit a home run in a home run derby a few years back? 

The Sox only shot to make the playoffs is by keeping Manny. His bat is irriplaceable and he does more good than anyone ecxept Ortiz and mmmmaybe Mike Lowell for team chemistry (except when its a week before the trade deadline). Without him they're toast.

c'mon, dude! THINK before you post!

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 06:52:30 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
the worse thing that could happen is if manny stays.  there has been too much anger from both sides.  If they trade him they at least have a shot at the playoffs.   

i'm sorry but this is the most assinine post I've read in a long time. Am I allowed to say that? Is that a personnal attack? I'm sorry if it is. I'd say worse and I would deserve a tommy point or two for it but I'm a nice guy so I'll leave it at that.

You think the Red Sox best chance to make the playoffs is by getting rid of Manny (and his 20 homers, .300 batting avg. and 70 rbis) at all costs even if it means trying to replace his production with a guy who could barely hit a home run in a home run derby a few years back? 

The Sox only shot to make the playoffs is by keeping Manny. His bat is irriplaceable and he does more good than anyone ecxept Ortiz and mmmmaybe Mike Lowell for team chemistry (except when its a week before the trade deadline). Without him they're toast.

"Dude" channel the anger elsewhere

There's been a lot more assine posts than that.  There is a huge amount of people including the folks last night on NESN who feel the same way.  I am pretty sure Tom Carron and Jim Rice were thinking before they said the time has come.

I for one feel the Sox wont be in the playoffs with or without Manny, too many other issues, mainly lack of production from 3 spots in the batting order.

As for Manny staying or going.......I think it comes down to this, if the Red Sox are elligble for daft pick compensation if he leaves as a free agent, the Sox should keep him.  If because they don't offer him the extension and therefore lose the right to the draft picks they should trade him for something.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

yes, that's a personal attack and consider yourself warned
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I know that the details of the trade are a little different based on which report you read but it appears that it could boil down to Manny gone for Jason Bay and a half decent lefty reliever (Grabow).  There may be other prospects from the Sox involved but I would think that they would be relatively low level prospects (of which the Sox have a bunch).

I feel this is pretty decent value for Manny.  Bay has comparable numbers to Manny over the last few years and I am assuming that Bay fields, throws, and runs the bases better than Manny.  The big difference will be that a guy like Manny can hit against any pitcher in any situation.  A guy like Bay may or may not be able to hit at his regular production rate against better pitchers that you see in the playoffs.  The same concern exists with Grabow.  He is half decent for Pitt in the regular season.  What is going to happen in a big at bat in Yankee stadium against Bobby Abreu with men on base.  Bay is probably not going to be the kind of premier hitter that Manny nor is Grabow going to be Rivera.  We will have to win another way, a kind of top to bottom consistency way.

All the doubts and concerns that the Manny fans have are real and legitimate but what can the Sox do at this point.  If they can pull off this deal, they should do it and see what happens.  This would still be a good team and should still be a favorite to make the playoffs.  It will be a team that plays the game the right way from top to bottom.  I am not bashing Manny.  Losing Manny is big; I just feel we have already lost him so in order not to lose the whole team, do this trade and get back to baseball.

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
not sure if this has been linked yet:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967

We Have A Deal But …

by Will Carroll

The Commissioner’s Office has been informed of a deal involving the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins. The Commissioner has to sign off on any deal involving cash considerations of more than a million dollars, and there was clearly going to be cash involved in any deal involving these teams. There’s also some formality about Manny Ramirez waiving his 10-and-5 rights, and no-trade clause, and I’ll admit not understanding the technicalities.

So here’s what Pee Wee Herman would call the “big but”: the teams, I am told, have not agreed on the specific prospects to be included in the deal. It’s expected that in addition to the principals, the Red Sox would get John Grabow and give up two prospects, while the Marlins would get one prospect and give up two. There’s still a lot of haggling but my scribbling notes make it look like the structure of the deal is:

Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (Red Sox), and cash (likely covering Ramirez’s remaining salary)

Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two Marlins, one Red Sox)

Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

There is still potential for this to fall apart over the prospects, but things appear closer now than ever before.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)