Author Topic: It's been a year, and the rodents are back in my ceiling.  (Read 6466 times)

It's been a year, and the rodents are back in my ceiling.
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The difference this year is I now know what they are. 

How, is quite unfortunate. 

It was time for one of my wifes 2/3 month let's move all the furniture around in the family room nights.  She had moved the computer desk (while still online at CelticsBlog) and let out a scream.

I came over to find nestled behind the PC tower, a little fur ball.  He was quietly enjoying a warm nap.  (A field mouse)

So of course, it is my job to now catch it and prevent it from running around the house.  A little ball between the computer and raised wood ledge, under wires I dare not move or to send him to who knows where. 

So, I take a thick dusting cloth, and after finding the best angle, crouching spot a space to reach through; I snagged that little Laker fan (pest) and slammed him into the little topper wear i had in my other hand.  Squeezing it all the way to the door, I tossed the whole thing across the driveway.  From the fell of the mouse, I though for sure I had squashed him.  But he was sprinting the second it hit the ground; down the cement stairs and back into the tall grass/weed hill my neighbor keeps.

But like I said, this was just the announcement.  After I showered, I came back downstairs.  While watching the second half of the Lakers/Jazz game, I heard it.  The sound of a rodent running around my drop ceiling.   (Hate that ceiling.  I can't wait to stop renting) 

So today, I have set out the poison traps that worked so well last time (two day till no more sounds from the ceiling)

I guess it is also probably time to reset the flying squirrel traps in the attic. 

And I blame all of this on my neighbors.  The one on the right that keeps his backyard a mess.  The one on the left that bulldozed the fox burrow that had done a great job limiting the small mammal population. 

I am thinking of trapping and stealing one of the large Owls that now reside in my Parents backyard. 

Re: It's been a year, and the rodents are back in my ceiling.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Here is the little Laker fan.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
this is for the neighbors

i have anbother oe but thought it was too discusting to post of a cat destroying a mouse
just imagine. that
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
this is for the neighbors

i have anbother oe but thought it was too discusting to post of a cat destroying a mouse
just imagine. that

If only I had a bush to use. 

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Haha.  A field mouse?  You got us all worked up over a field mouse?

I was expecting the Jersey Devil.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Haha.  A field mouse?  You got us all worked up over a field mouse?

I was expecting the Jersey Devil.

Would it be better if he looked like this?

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'll continue my rant from the KG panther thread.

Bring in a fisher to do the job.

Bye bye mousies

Of course then you'd have to deal with the fisher, but hey it's a start.  I guess you could bring in a panther to deal with the fisher ::)
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »

Offline celticmainiac

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
 we use to have the same problem ! don't laugh, we got as a gift one of those things you plug in the wall that emits a noise or current that they don't like and leave! we thought it was a joke but what the heck we plugged it in ! i started with 1 at each end of the house on the top floor, waited a few days, then went and bought 2 more and put then on the ground floor, again waited a couple of days and put 2 in the basement ! its been at least 5 years since and we haven't heard or seen any sign of them ! i don't think they were very expensive. good luck with your battle, the best part of these is no clean up ! also pet friendly, we have 2 dogs and a cat ! a pretty lazy cat at that !

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
we use to have the same problem ! don't laugh, we got as a gift one of those things you plug in the wall that emits a noise or current that they don't like and leave! we thought it was a joke but what the heck we plugged it in ! i started with 1 at each end of the house on the top floor, waited a few days, then went and bought 2 more and put then on the ground floor, again waited a couple of days and put 2 in the basement ! its been at least 5 years since and we haven't heard or seen any sign of them ! i don't think they were very expensive. good luck with your battle, the best part of these is no clean up ! also pet friendly, we have 2 dogs and a cat ! a pretty lazy cat at that !

We tried a cat but...

you can see what the mouse did.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:12:07 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Terriers man. Buy a male terrier. Goodnight Eileen.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

in all seriousness those ultrasonic, ultra sound things are really good
and dont hurt pets
loook fo those that doesnt hurt dogs and cats
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Just be thankful it wasn't a Rodent of Unusual Size.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Can you check the foundation for holes where they might be getting in? We did have a rat problem awhile back(yes they were monsters!) and found a small hole in the foundation where they were coming from. We then called our local terminator who after sealing the foundation hole, place peanut butter traps everywhere..a few days of snap, snap, snap and the problem was gone..hopefully like the Cavs series will go for us.

Your landlord should take care of the problem and go into your attic to find the holes as well and seal them up.

We tried those plug ins but they really do not work on larger size rodents..small mice they might do the trick on. We also bought the Zapper but never used it...The idea of electrocuting a rat, although tempting, did not really sound appealing. We do have 2 cats and 2 dogs but these larger size rats could not care less..one day, it hissed at me through an ac duct vent while I looked down at it...it could not care less...

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Can you check the foundation for holes where they might be getting in? We did have a rat problem awhile back(yes they were monsters!) and found a small hole in the foundation where they were coming from. We then called our local terminator who after sealing the foundation hole, place peanut butter traps everywhere..a few days of snap, snap, snap and the problem was gone..hopefully like the Cavs series will go for us.

Your landlord should take care of the problem and go into your attic to find the holes as well and seal them up.

We tried those plug ins but they really do not work on larger size rodents..small mice they might do the trick on. We also bought the Zapper but never used it...The idea of electrocuting a rat, although tempting, did not really sound appealing. We do have 2 cats and 2 dogs but these larger size rats could not care less..one day, it hissed at me through an ac duct vent while I looked down at it...it could not care less...

Well, that is a problem.  It is a converted house barn from the mid 1800s in the historic district.  He has been filling holes, but what really needs to be done is a residing of the house.  But because of it's location in the historic district, it hasn't happened. 

That's fine.  I will be moving my family to VA soon enough.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just put one of these into the hole in the wall.  It ought to do the trick:

Congrats on the move to VA.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions