Author Topic: Is there a reason we typically avoid adding veteran help?  (Read 5182 times)

Re: Is there a reason we typically avoid adding veteran help?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would imagine the large number of draft picks has something to do with it.  You're typically not going to dump a young player for a short term solutions.

Second, I'd say Wanamaker is a veteran.  As for free mid season veteran additions, who was the last one that worked out?  Anyone remember Mikki Moore?  Or even Greg Monroe?

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Who is available? I think Danny believes that the chance of winning a title will be when jaylen and jason are around 25 26 years old..

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There is something to be said about messing around with team chemistry. Not all trades work according to plan. Take for instance the Miami Heat, who I believe were in third place in the East before their trade and only 1.5 games behind Toronto for the 2nd seed. Their 2-6 since, and only .5 game away from being the 5th seed.

As for the buyout market, the Celtics can’t control that at all. Besides, are we really that concerned about the 3rd guy off the bench, especially when the starters will be playing increased minutes and have at least one day to rest between games? I would imagine Smart is #1, followed by Kanter. Come playoff time and playing a more half court style, Kanter will be very valuable off the bench. The guy can flat out score down low and is a rebounding machine. I’m not sure how much he’ll play or how effective he will be once he comes back, but Robert Williams is about a week or two away. So we’re really talking about the number of minutes for Wannamaker, Grant Williams, and Ojeleye in the postseason. To me, those three guys will play depending on the matchup. I could see Ojeleye playing more minutes against the Bucks than say Indiana.

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Our bench is so young, it's scary. I'm afraid that we just won't have enough, even if the stars play out of their minds. Do we really need 3-4 rookies on a contending team?

Five, actually, not counting the two-ways.

But only one is a rotation player up to this point, and the rotation goes ten-deep.

The bench rotation players, except for Grant Williams, are actually older. Marcus Smart and Semi Ojeleye are 25, Kanter is 27, and Brad Wanamaker is the oldest player on the team, at 30.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I would have loved to see an upgrade of Wanamaker and/or the addition of another shooter. The bench is simply not a strength right now and even with the starters playing increased minutes, it doesn't necessarily make bench depth meaningless in what is hopefully a long playoff run. Just because last season we had some selfish veterans (Marcus Morris worrying about his next deal comes to mind) doesn't mean that there aren't vets out there who are fine with a complementary role.

Even if the buyout market didn't exactly produce a lot of great difference-makers, the fact remains that what we have now is really lacking in offense. Whether that means the team should have been better constructed in the offseason or before the trade deadline, we can't say for sure because we don't exactly know what was available.

I really believe the general plan before the season started was to take a slight step back from "win now" and give Tatum and Brown the full minutes they needed to develop and see what happens. The fact that Tatum has improved so quickly, I think, is a little surprising to the FO because now the team is looking like a borderline contender. Now, I don't think Tatum is necessarily going to be avg'g 30ppg in the playoffs, but he's shown he has the ability to explode against the top teams and I just don't think they thought he'd be doing that until maybe 1-2 years down the line.

Unfortunately, they just didn't have great roster flexibility in terms of tradeable contracts. Considering how much they like their class of 2019, I know they are not eager to use all three of their 2020 first rounders, so I don't think holding onto picks was the issue (especially considering that the 2020 draft is supposed to be weak). Their only tradeable deals are guys they still want to hold onto, so there wouldn't have been a great net gain in a potential trade. If they traded one of the kids, their contracts are so low it would have made contract matching tough.

All in all, I can see all the reasons they didn't or couldn't make a deal for bench depth. However, it's just a shame because this team is playing really well in a season where there is no real overwhelming favorite for the title.

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
We have a unique team with 4 guys who we want averaging 20 ppg or more. To do that, you need to have those four doing the scoring across most of the game. It's not easy getting four players enough shots to score at that level. That is more important to this team than bench scoring is.

You can have a bench scorer, but you can't leave them dormant and turn them on whenever you want. This team doesn't want to give anyone those shots.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I was really pumped when we got Troy Murphy....he sucked.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The Ainge apologists make me laugh

When a contending Team needs help a GM needs to find it

There was no reason not to add a player to help with 3 number 1 picks at your disposal

Thanks Danny “you ain’t made a bad move yet”

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

There was no reason not to add a player to help with 3 number 1 picks at your disposal

What available player should he have added?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

would you please provide the name and example of a poster here who said the bolded. if not, then please explain why you wrote this. thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

would you please provide the name and example of a poster here who said the bolded. if not, then please explain why you wrote this. thank you.
It is...and this is in my mod voice...just more of his trollish sarcasm. Do not expect a response to your request for an explanation.

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

What available player should he have added?

Exactly. And, what would Boston have had to give up?

The Celtics are third in Defense, fifth in offense, sixth in bench net, fourth in point differential. Adding a bench player, whether a veteran or not, is unlikely to move the needle.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

It is...and this is in my mod voice...just more of his trollish sarcasm. Do not expect a response to your request for an explanation.
I like to look at someones post history to know if someone's worth arguing with... let's say, he definitely doesn't pass lol.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I wish Danny can make a move on a James Posey-type player to come off the bench.

That type of player will get us #18.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 10:13:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Buyout guys tend to be very hit or miss.

But, I do wonder why we didn’t add vets instead of Poirier and Green.  I understand that he was hoping for a Theis-like impact with Poirier, but reliable, cheap vets would really be useful right now.
I think most of the good buyout guys are looking for rotation minutes or rings.

Guys can get both with either LA team, or the absolute best shot at a ring in Milwaukee (we know the C's and Kemba were pursuing Marvin Williams hard)

So this year the C's probably needed to trade for help, and clearly Dannny didn't want to ship out firsts for lower end roleplayers. The only guy they made an offer that included firsts that we know of was Bertans and he was apparently not on the market in the end.

I thought I read somewhere that Kemba and Williams both wanted him to end up with the Cs but Ainge was reluctant to cut someone.