Author Topic: Is there a reason we typically avoid adding veteran help?  (Read 5340 times)

Re: Is there a reason we typically avoid adding veteran help?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
When you have a young team, they are less set in their culture. That means there are fewer players that can come into the culture without disrupting it.

When you have an older team, the culture is more set, which allows the team to pursue even disruptive players because the culture won't likely be changed.

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Who was moved that could both help the Celtics and fit in terms of trade value?   

And for the players not traded that may have been on the block, no other team was willing to pay for what was being asked for.   Do we want the Celtics to overpay when other teams are not? 

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Adding Crowder and Iguodala hasn’t helped the Miami Heat. Everyone moaned and groaned how much better they’d be with veteran bench help, and that Danny should have done something, but instead they’ve gone 2-7.

Has Miami ruined their chemistry? Possibly. I think it’s because they are playing Olynyk less. His minutes and numbers were down from his past 2 seasons, but he still contributes when he gets around 20 minutes. In the 7 losses Kelly averaged about 11 minutes. In the 2 wins he got 22 and 26 minutes on the floor. That’s not a coincidence.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Adding Crowder and Iguodala hasn’t helped the Miami Heat. Everyone moaned and groaned how much better they’d be with veteran bench help, and that Danny should have done something, but instead they’ve gone 2-7.

Has Miami ruined their chemistry? Possibly. I think it’s because they are playing Olynyk less. His minutes and numbers were down from his past 2 seasons, but he still contributes when he gets around 20 minutes. In the 7 losses Kelly averaged about 11 minutes. In the 2 wins he got 22 and 26 minutes on the floor. That’s not a coincidence.

The move to add Iguodala and Crowder might payoff in the playoffs.

If not then Riley made a mistake.

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

The move to add Iguodala and Crowder might payoff in the playoffs.

If not then Riley made a mistake.

Miami cleared a ton of dead-weight salary off their books. They’re looking ahead to free agency 2021.

It was a great deal for Miami, though the short-term impact of Ig and Jae is likely to be modest.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:44 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Has Miami ruined their chemistry?

The transaction was a chemistry move as much as anything. James Johnson failed to show up in shape for training camp and was suspended. He’s owed the rest of this season plus $31M or so for the next two years.  Dion Waiters overdosed on edibles, requiring the team plane to make an emergency landing. He’s owed roughly $25M, again for two more years.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021