Author Topic: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M  (Read 31455 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Brown has a lot of confidence that he can prove to be worth near max or max money and so, if Danny is going to start low and stay there, Brown will just let the year play out and see what happens next off season. At this point, even at 4 years and $100 million, Brown is more than likely thinking he is leaving millions on the table.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like Jaylen, but anything over $20M per season may be pushing it. At a minimum, a two-guard making that kind of money, should be able to create his own shot off the dribble. I’m sorry, but Jaylen simply can’t do that on a consistent basis. I can see Jaylen playing out the season, then leaving. Smart takes over at the 2 guard next season, with Langford hopefully taking over the starting spot the following season.

Will Gordon Hayward pick up his player option next season, and will the two sides eventually agree to an extension? That would leave the Celtics with two max players (Hayward and Walker) going into the 20-21 season. At that time, Tatum will be in the same position as Jaylen now. There is no way, the Celtics will have 4 max players under contract, so someone has to go. Walker and Tatum are locks, so it’s a matter of who extends between Hayward and Brown.

Also, the whole deal with China should not be taken lightly, as it could change the salary cap next season. With a potentially reduced cap, will teams adjust how they allocate their payroll? Will teams put less emphasis on acquiring Brown, because they can find a cheaper 3 and D alternative. Are Brown and his agent willing to take that gamble?

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 06:24:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think Brown has a lot of confidence that he can prove to be worth near max or max money and so, if Danny is going to start low and stay there, Brown will just let the year play out and see what happens next off season. At this point, even at 4 years and $100 million, Brown is more than likely thinking he is leaving millions on the table.

I m onboard exactly with what you ve said .   Im not sold at all Danny is gonna see it this way and Brown will leave .

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think it's a fair offer. If Brown accepts it, great. If not, I wouldn't budge. Let the season play out and go from there.

The Celts are in the driver's seat like they were when Smart was a restricted free agent and they ended up signing him at a reasonable price.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Its a very good deal for Brown but surprise he turned it down..i wouldnt budge..if he goes in the future, oh well, theres alot of better players out there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think it's a fair offer. If Brown accepts it, great. If not, I wouldn't budge. Let the season play out and go from there.

The Celts are in the driver's seat like they were when Smart was a restricted free agent and they ended up signing him at a reasonable price.

I would put the odds of him not getting a better offer than that in the free agency market at like 10-20% and that may be generous.

Teams sometimes shy away from RFAs because they don't want cap space tied up with a match but there are precious few alternatives to tie it up in.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If I were the C's I would definitely let the season play out and not budge. This team is in need of talented bigs in the worst way.

Brown is quite capable of having a season similar to last year. Especially with Tatum feeling that he's ready to breakout too, Walker has to get his shots, and add in the pressure I'm sure Hayward is feeling.

Brown isn't a number one option on this team,  he isn't even a solid number 3 option. Paying for potential early is short sighted, especially when the bigs we have are horrible.

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Brown has improved every year, accepted and adapted to a bench role, elevated his play in the playoffs every year, and come into this season with both improved handle and playmaking.
He impacts the game on both sides of the ball, is often the best player in the floor, and is a model NBA citizen.

Anyone else think he may be worth whatever it takes to keep him?

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown has improved every year, accepted and adapted to a bench role, elevated his play in the playoffs every year, and come into this season with both improved handle and playmaking.
He impacts the game on both sides of the ball, is often the best player in the floor, and is a model NBA citizen.

Anyone else think he may be worth whatever it takes to keep him?
Yup...this guy, but I think most of the blog knows that.

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 08:25:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Brown is right to turn down that offer.  He would have to have a really terrible season to not get an offer of at least that much this summer.  The chances of him turning this offer down and regretting it are quite slim.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Its a very good deal for Brown but surprise he turned it down..i wouldnt budge..if he goes in the future, oh well, theres alot of better players out there
can you provide some examples of players you think are better than Brown considering what he can do now, his remaining upside (expected improvements) AND is cheaper than what Danny offered AND will be available?

I suspect you'll have difficulty finding an example with 3 of those qualities, never mind all 4.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
can you provide some examples of players you think are better than Brown considering what he can do now, his remaining upside (expected improvements) AND is cheaper than what Danny offered AND will be available?

I suspect you'll have difficulty finding an example with 3 of those qualities, never mind all 4.
If Terry Rozier got what he got then this is pretty terrible for Brown. Especially if Brown continues to show what he's displayed in pre-season - improved handling and offensive decision-making.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I went on the record months ago predicting this simple 3 step process:

1.  Celtics will lowball Brown in Contract negotiations
2.  A team will offer him a max-deal in free agency
3.  The Celtics will act publicly shocked and refuse to match because of the luxury tax implications

Step 1 completed.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Brown gets moved and Hayward stays through his contract is what I sense.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 09:55:57 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Just like I what I said a couple of months ago, Brown wants the max of 30m per year and there's no way the Celts will give 30m per year after giving Hayward and Kemba 30m per year.

If Brown is not extended by Oct. 21, Jaylen Brown will just be a Celtic until January or February.

Ainge will not allow the Celts to lose Brown for nothing after picking him #3 in 2016.

Jaylen Brown is a very good player.
Not great, but very good.
So there's no doubt that a team with cap space will offer Jaylen the max in the summer.