Author Topic: Cancer Awareness Thread  (Read 31843 times)

Re: Afternoon got Better!!! --- Cancer Awareness Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nice story, bdm860, and congrats on your recovery.  We'll forgive you for your misguided appreciation for the Yanks.  It must have been cool going to Yankee Stadium, despite the circumstances.  The people at Make a Wish do great things.

Thanks, ACF.  TP back at you.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

BDM, what an amazing story....the only thing worse that a person being incredibly sick is a young person who's incredibly sick.

How are you feeling today?  The Make-A-Wish story is facinating.  I had always thought the foundation was focused on terminal children, to know that that they are working with children who have an chance of survival and who knows, maybe plays a role in that survival is wonderful.

Needless to say, a TP for you!
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There are two types of cancer scares and the effect they can have on one's psyche is horrible to the point of being mentally debilitating. I've been through both, so I know, and my heart felt and deep sympathy and at the same time great relief and well wishes go out to SSF, Hoops, bdm.

I am sure I speak for all when I say all of the Celticblog family hurts a little whenever one of our own is hurting a lot.

The cancer scare that makes you wait is agonizing on the mind. If you haven't experienced it, it is difficult to describe. I had pneumonia years back but a chest xray taken to verify it showed my lymph nodes in my chest were severely swollen. After MRI's the fear wa lymphoma but only a biopsy could verify it. Ththree week wait until the operation was awful.

The relief knowing I only had something called sarcoidosis(yes that disease no one has but is always a possibilty of someone having on House) was unreal.

I think the other cancer scare is worse.

It the one you get when a normal exam or weird little illness turns into a call from the doctor telling you you have to come in to see him and he tells you you have cancer.

That happened to me when at the age of 1 1/2 years old my son looked to have a small infection in his scrotum. A simple blood test surprisingly determined it to be testicular cancer and that bomb was droppedon my wife and I at the ripe old age of 25 years old discussing the welfare of our 1 year old son.

Hoops and bdm no what I mean. It is the single scariest thing that might be able to happen to a person. I have had a gun drawn on my twice while being robbed and in a fight as a teenager. Being told my son had cancer was the most afraid I have been in my entire life.

Luckily I was fine, sarcoid is very treatable with steroids though they make you very big, and my sons had the testicle remove had chemo and is now going on 21 and will be a brilliant computer engineer someday soon. Modern medicine is a marvel.

SSF, Hoops, bdm, I've been where you have and it is not a road to travel without friends and family so here are some TP's to raise your spirits. because what some people don't understand is that sometimes just talking orin this case writing about a personal cancer scare can trigger bad memories and bad flashback feelings. TP's are always a cure for bad feelings.

At least that's what Mr. Heinsohn says.

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

BDM, what an amazing story....the only thing worse that a person being incredibly sick is a young person who's incredibly sick.

How are you feeling today?  The Make-A-Wish story is facinating.  I had always thought the foundation was focused on terminal children, to know that that they are working with children who have an chance of survival and who knows, maybe plays a role in that survival is wonderful.

Needless to say, a TP for you!

It's like nothing ever happened.  Once my hair grew back you'd never know anything was ever wrong with me (physically anyway ;D).  There has not been one problem ever since they stopped treatment (which was like 9-10 years ago now).  The only thing noticeably wrong is I can't really grow a left sideburn due to radiation therapy (I have one, it's just all thin and faded compared to what I got going on on the right side of my face) and one of my saliva glands is dried up (also due to radiation therapy) giving me dry mouth alot, but you'd never know anything was ever wrong if I didn't tell you.

Another funny story (going through cancer gave me a ton of them too), I went to a little college in Florida, and I had a roommate there and we got to be pretty cool and tight.  We had known each other for 2-3 years at the time so we each felt like we knew each other pretty well, then my roommate started hanging out with this girl who was also from Connecticut (and I just happened to be friends with her brother growing up), so he says hey do you know Ben, and she says ya he used to have cancer right?  And my roommate says: "No I don't think so, I know Ben pretty well, and I would know if he had cancer."  Lol, guess I never told him.  When he asked me later, we just laughed about it, but he was like how come you never told me? Just not the thing that comes up that often, lol, I have no problem talking about it, but it's like what do you want me to say it when I introduce myself, "Hi, I'm Ben, I had cancer."  Unless somebody is talking about cancer (like now) it usually doesn't come up.  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:43:48 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I can see where you're
coming from.
It's not like it's something
you chose. Wow, that's just
wild, man. Peace and respect
to you!

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Maybe someone on the C's could
raise some attention to this?
Wouldn't that be just beautiful?
Like Ray raises diabetes awareness.
Being NBA Champions, this is the time
to do it.

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Is there any way for CelticsBlog and its members to become involved with a charity/and or charities? I for one, would definitely make a donation. We have a lot of caring members on board here and I believe we could all make a positive impact.

Could CelticsBlog actually start there own charitable organization?

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Is there any way for CelticsBlog and its members to become involved with a charity/and or charities? I for one, would definitely make a donation. We have a lot of caring members on board here and I believe we could all make a positive impact.

Could CelticsBlog actually start there own charitable organization?

Great idea. I'm sure a Mod
will be along shortly.
I'll throw another idea out there:
Why not get a "Cure Cancer" ad on
these pages? It'll help the cause...
It's something that concerns ALL OF US.

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
That is a great idea as well. There are many ways CelticsBlog and the members could participate with a charity.

1. We could launch a Celtics Blog store and donate profit procedes or a portion to charities..kind of like Igive.com but on a more grander scale.

2. If CelticsBlog became a Charitable org, we could have fundraisers and other charity events to raise money and awareness. We could also incorporate some sort of Celtics Store into this org. I really like the idea of becoming a charitable org- It would show the world that CelticsBlog is way more then community of Great Celtics Fans coming together to discuss only Celtics but rather a Great Community of Celtics Fans coming together to make a difference as well. I also think it would put CelticsBlog on a Bigger Map then we already are and with added exposure, we could really make a big difference.- Maybe even get othere sports blogs on board as well.

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Wow. Since I last checked, this thread has blossomed. Since we're having a full blown conversation about cancer, I'll share a couple of thoughts. It's funny, I'm totally not a soapbox cancer guy - but for whatever reason, I want to say a thing or two anyway.

First, it wasn't until I got cancer that I realized EVERYONE has a cancer story. It's eye opening. This thread is proving the point. Everyone knows someone who has dealt with cancer. If you think that's not true, you either don't know the people around you well enough or your story hasn't reached you yet. But it will. That's not meant to be a threat or a scare tactic, it's just the crazy reality of cancer.

Second, a thought about dealing with and/or detecting cancer. A lot of people have offered some great advice. For me, I caught mine very early and beating it was very straight forward (I mean, I was super sick, but you know...). I'm only just finding out now that the post-cancer emotional recovery has been a lot harder. I mean, I don't feel scarred for having had cancer. Not at all. But the whole thing took a huge withdrawal on my wife's emotional bank account. Probably mine too. It put a strain on our relationship. At some point, we took the advice of many doctors who warned us about it and started doing some post-cancer counseling. It's been totally worth it. I'm completely convinced that we'll come out of this stronger than we were going into it. But anyhow, based on my experience, I really encourage people to be open about dealing with their emotions after a cancer experience.

As for charitable organizations, I've become somewhat fond of Light The Night (Leukemia and Lymphoma)...

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
Wow. Since I last checked, this thread has blossomed. Since we're having a full blown conversation about cancer, I'll share a couple of thoughts. It's funny, I'm totally not a soapbox cancer guy - but for whatever reason, I want to say a thing or two anyway.

First, it wasn't until I got cancer that I realized EVERYONE has a cancer story. It's eye opening. This thread is proving the point. Everyone knows someone who has dealt with cancer. If you think that's not true, you either don't know the people around you well enough or your story hasn't reached you yet. But it will. That's not meant to be a threat or a scare tactic, it's just the crazy reality of cancer.

Second, a thought about dealing with and/or detecting cancer. A lot of people have offered some great advice. For me, I caught mine very early and beating it was very straight forward (I mean, I was super sick, but you know...). I'm only just finding out now that the post-cancer emotional recovery has been a lot harder. I mean, I don't feel scarred for having had cancer. Not at all. But the whole thing took a huge withdrawal on my wife's emotional bank account. Probably mine too. It put a strain on our relationship. At some point, we took the advice of many doctors who warned us about it and started doing some post-cancer counseling. It's been totally worth it. I'm completely convinced that we'll come out of this stronger than we were going into it. But anyhow, based on my experience, I really encourage people to be open about dealing with their emotions after a cancer experience.

As for charitable organizations, I've become somewhat fond of Light The Night (Leukemia and Lymphoma)...

Thank you Hoops......be proud and continue to be positive!!!

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
How about we take one Celtics home game, and sell some kind of ribbon or button to Celtics fans attending the game, with the proceeds going to a cancer fighting organization?

CB members can set it up, design and built the ribbon/button, man the event, etc. Of course, we would have to get Celtics management on board. 

Any thoughts?

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
How about we take one Celtics home game, and sell some kind of ribbon or button to Celtics fans attending the game, with the proceeds going to a cancer fighting organization?

CB members can set it up, design and built the ribbon/button, man the event, etc. Of course, we would have to get Celtics management on board. 

Any thoughts?

I am all for a CelticsBlog type of fundraiser -- I think if we all dug into our pockets and did something in unison we could make a significant impact, but I am fully aware of the work that this type of effort would put on our mods. 

As strongly as I personally support Cancer research (Jimmy Fund / Pan Mass) and homelessness (Pine Street & Boston ABCD) I feel that the only true recipient of any charitable effort we would do together needs to be the Celtics Shamrock Foundation.

Tell you what, if the mods want to do something -- I will offer my full assistance in helping put something together.

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I'm down. I volunteer for alot of different fundraisers.
I'm a massage therapist so I bring my chair and offer free chair massages for donations. I've done that for special needs children, alzeihmer's, etc. go to coolrunning.com there are plent of 5k runs that are walker friendly in Mass. I say we start a celticsblog team for any charity of our liking. Really the only cost is getting tee shirts made and making donations. I won't take the role as chairperson simply because I just organized 2 fundraisers in the last month for my parish and I have volunteered for a few more events this month and next month. On top of that I have 3 jobs and a disabled  mom to look after...insane right...
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

Re: I am having a super tough afternoon
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

UPDATE:

Still sitting out in the waiting room, but just got a text from my wife (gotta love technology) doctor says that the lumps are non-cancerous cysts and that she's doing great.  Should be here for another 20 minutes.

Still facing traffic and a sick daughter --- but life is looking so much better  --- ever seen a grown man cry before??   ;D

Thanks for the wonderfully warm comments and TPS -- all TPs will be reciprocated later......

Now, where's that top ten beer thread???   Ya-hooooooooooooo

that is GREAT new ssfan!  im so happy for your family.  i know how stressful it is to wait for cancer test results.  i actually underwent tests last year myself.  fortunately the force was strong with me and nothing was cancerous.