Author Topic: Bucks (21-9) at Celtics (18-12) Game #31 12/21/18  (Read 31085 times)

Re: Bucks (21-9) at Celtics (18-12) Game #31 12/21/18
« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Brown hit a switch last night and for a bit was old Brown dunking.   This Brown needs to show up more!

in NBA you have to think like Kobe be driven to win EVERY night to get it done .  or you ll drift , get a pay check and go from team to team ...like Jeff Green.

It's not that simple.  Kobe's drive to win coincided with a relentless approach that wasn't always conducive to team basketball.  Russell Westbrook is a perfect example of where this approach has its limitations.  How would a young Kobe have fit with this group?  Also, the 2009 Lakers wouldn't have really worked in today's league.

I have no reason to believe Jaylen doesn't have the drive to be great.  He is simply struggling to balance aggressiveness with making the right team plays. 

Long term the Celtics are trying to emulate a style of play that is in line with the Spurs of 2014.  I could also use the 2015 Warriors as en example, but the combo of Curry and Thompson is too crazy to emulate.

« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
t's not that simple.  Kobe's drive to win coincided with a relentless approach that wasn't always conducive to team basketball.  Russell Westbrook is a perfect example of where this approach has its limitations.  How would a young Kobe have fit with this group?  Also, the 2009 Lakers wouldn't have really worked in today's league.

Kobe always needed a good big man to win, so please don't use that pukebag Laker scum as an example of what we need to do.   He messed with Tatum's game for the worse this summer. 

Both of these guys win more than we do now so try again.

Also, why not use Jordan in your example, I tell you why, because he did what I am saying and he was far more successful than Kobe or Westbrook.   So there is that blows a hole in your assertion.

I have no reason to believe Jaylen doesn't have the drive to be great.  He is simply struggling to balance aggressiveness with making the right team plays. 

Long term the Celtics are trying to emulate a style of play that is in line with the Spurs of 2014.  I could also use the 2015 Warriors as en example, but the combo of Curry and Thompson is too crazy to emulate

We need some guys to step it up and start carrying us instead of worrying about tipping toeing around and hurting others feelings.   When you try to please everyone you please no one and we are losing.  We had a nice run last year despite injuries because guys stepped up to spotlight and delivered.

This is not grade school basketball, we need studs not duds and we need guys to be pros and play well when they are called upon. 

As for the spurs, we don't a Tim Duncan so that comparison is beyond poor.  I don't buy your BS, not even a bit what you are saying is a surefire recipe to mediocrity.   Right now, we have blamed this on tinkering but it is clear that we need guys to assert theirselves more because the ra ra team ball has caused guys to pass up easy shots that guys are not hitting.   Look at Timelord last night, there were two times that he passed up a post play that he should have shot

I am advocating for guys to be aggressive not selfish, perhaps you don't understand the difference.   We could use some aggression and some genuine disgust at losing that drives guys to take over and win.   Taking what you are good at and doing it the other team to make baskets.  Jaylen is a slasher and he should slash for example!  This season has been a season where guys do not play to their strengths!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:42:31 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I thought about making a new post, but just decided to post this here.

We played poorly, no doubt. But the narrative of this game makes me laugh a bit. ESPN had headlines like quoting Giannis saying, "We think we have more talent," or a headline like, "Bucks with a Dominate Win over the Celtics."

A few things to note:
1. The Celtics took the Bucks' best shot in that game. I don't think the Bucks could have played any better. Middleton, Bledsoe, and Brogdon played really well. Giannis went off. Snell and Maker played out of their mind. I literally don't know if they could have played a better game. Still, the Cs were close enough to make a run late and win.
2. The narrative is largely neglecting the fact that the Cs were without two starters and one key bench player. Horford and Morris are probably our first and second defender against Giannis. That also slides Brown onto Middleton and Tatum onto Bledsoe or Brogdon. Those matchups are much more in our favor. Still, the Celtics kept the game relatively close.
3. The narrative (even the Bucks ESPN page) is neglecting the fact that they lost to the Heat the next night and only scored 87 points. That's pretty inconsistent.
4. I'm convinced that the Cs have another level or two that they can shift into. I don't think the Bucks can get better given their talent. They won't shoot better. Giannis won't be more dominate. Their guards aren't talented enough to consistently get that kind of penetration. The Cs conservatively have the 2nd and the 4th-8th best players in a playoff series. I still think Irving can go to another level. Horford might not put up the numbers, but he impacts the game as much or more than Middleton. Brown, Tatum, and Hayward can all match or outplay Middleton on any given night.

This is the same team the Cs beat without Hayward or Irving in a 7-game series. This is a system that is good in the regular season but struggles in the post-season (Coach Bud).

I know some may disagree. That's fine. I just don't feel that bad about this loss.

« Reply #498 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

We played poorly, no doubt. But the narrative of this game makes me laugh a bit. ESPN had headlines like quoting Giannis saying, "We think we have more talent," or a headline like, "Bucks with a Dominate Win over the Celtics."

A few things to note:
1. The Celtics took the Bucks' best shot in that game. I don't think the Bucks could have played any better. Middleton, Bledsoe, and Brogdon played really well. Giannis went off. Snell and Maker played out of their mind. I literally don't know if they could have played a better game. Still, the Cs were close enough to make a run late and win.
2. The narrative is largely neglecting the fact that the Cs were without two starters and one key bench player. Horford and Morris are probably our first and second defender against Giannis. That also slides Brown onto Middleton and Tatum onto Bledsoe or Brogdon. Those matchups are much more in our favor. Still, the Celtics kept the game relatively close.
3. The narrative (even the Bucks ESPN page) is neglecting the fact that they lost to the Heat the next night and only scored 87 points. That's pretty inconsistent.
4. I'm convinced that the Cs have another level or two that they can shift into. I don't think the Bucks can get better given their talent. They won't shoot better. Giannis won't be more dominate. Their guards aren't talented enough to consistently get that kind of penetration. The Cs conservatively have the 2nd and the 4th-8th best players in a playoff series. I still think Irving can go to another level. Horford might not put up the numbers, but he impacts the game as much or more than Middleton. Brown, Tatum, and Hayward can all match or outplay Middleton on any given night.

This is the same team the Cs beat without Hayward or Irving in a 7-game series. This is a system that is good in the regular season but struggles in the post-season (Coach Bud).

I know some may disagree. That's fine. I just don't feel that bad about this loss.
Oh, I fully agree, and I'll add that Bledsoe can't play any better and is known to be wildly inconsistent.  Bottom line is the C's played poorly on defense (partly due to injuries) and allowed the Bucks easy open looks which they usually made.  Thon Maker will NOT shoot like that again with C's playing better defense.

« Reply #499 on: December 24, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

A few things to note:

I agree mostly but calling the Bucks inconsistent for losing against the Heat is just wrong.  Second night of a B2B on the road is tough to win even when the 1st game isn't against a top team.  There are no B2Bs in the playoffs.  Also coach Bud never had a star the caliber of Giannis to my knowledge.