Author Topic: Celtics (9-2) at Raptors (5-6) Game #12 11/17/23  (Read 9798 times)

Re: Celtics (9-2) at Raptors (5-6) Game #12 11/17/23
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 04:01:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I don't think OG Anunoby is going to play.  That helps.  Their +/- without OG is really poor.  +46 with OG, -72 without him.  It seems like they should be better based on personnel, but so far, they just haven't been.
Too much duplication with their 3 SFs. OG is the only one of them that can play off ball. He tends to be their stabilizer.

Not enough outside shooting. Trent is their only real shooter other than OG and Trent has had a bad start to the season.

Too much one-on-one play with Siakam, S Barnes and Schroder. Each one of them tends to play 1-on-5. None of them can space the floor reliably. Only effect off the bounce.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
How good is Scottie Barnes?

I am not convinced by him as a top 10 SG or a top 10 SF. I have him in the 11-15 range for SG or SF. Maybe a top 10 PF. That looks like his best position to me. Siakam is in his way though.

They need to trade Siakam to open things up for S Barnes and re-balance their team.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
How good is Scottie Barnes?

I am not convinced by him as a top 10 SG or a top 10 SF. I have him in the 11-15 range for SG or SF. Maybe a top 10 PF. That looks like his best position to me. Siakam is in his way though.

They need to trade Siakam to open things up for S Barnes and re-balance their team.
Siakim will be a free agent so good chance he's gone.  They may be waiting for January to trade him. 

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 04:49:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Let’s go!

Brian Robb: Celtics announce Al Horford, Jaylen Brown and Kristaps Porzingis are all available tonight vs. Raptors. Team will be at full strength.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2023, 05:15:38 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Let’s go!

Brian Robb: Celtics announce Al Horford, Jaylen Brown and Kristaps Porzingis are all available tonight vs. Raptors. Team will be at full strength.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Lets goooooooo!

Pumped to see what Zinger looks like in person....from 100ft away, hahaha

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 05:19:07 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Let’s go!

Nice having a healthy team.  Rob out for the season and Brogdon and Smart both injured.  Man did we dodge a few bullets.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2023, 06:16:41 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
They need shooting and defense and size from the guard position really badly. Financially, it makes sense that you'd shift some of the money you've put into Siakim and Anunoby into the guard position. Secondly, they overpaid Poetl for what he is. He's like a good version of a typical stiff center. He can't move well enough to guard in space and can't space the floor on offense, so was spending $20m/year on him the smartest thing?

On the optimistic side, finding guards is usually easier than finding wing/forwards like Siakim and Anunoby, so you'd think there'd be an easy trade out there for them to make.

On the negative side, the question that still remains since Leonard left is, are you just a collection of second options? Do you need to find a true no 1 to take the next step? It's hard to acquire one if you're not a popular market and don't draft the player yourself. They had to take a massive risk just to get Leonard there, and he left after one season. People are connecting them to guys like Lavine, but he's not really a no 1 and he doesn't want to go there anyway. Is Barnes a guy that eventually can convince a big star to come aboard?

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 06:47:53 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
They need shooting and defense and size from the guard position really badly. Financially, it makes sense that you'd shift some of the money you've put into Siakim and Anunoby into the guard position. Secondly, they overpaid Poetl for what he is. He's like a good version of a typical stiff center. He can't move well enough to guard in space and can't space the floor on offense, so was spending $20m/year on him the smartest thing?

On the optimistic side, finding guards is usually easier than finding wing/forwards like Siakim and Anunoby, so you'd think there'd be an easy trade out there for them to make.

On the negative side, the question that still remains since Leonard left is, are you just a collection of second options? Do you need to find a true no 1 to take the next step? It's hard to acquire one if you're not a popular market and don't draft the player yourself. They had to take a massive risk just to get Leonard there, and he left after one season. People are connecting them to guys like Lavine, but he's not really a no 1 and he doesn't want to go there anyway. Is Barnes a guy that eventually can convince a big star to come aboard?
I think it would be very hard to find one Toronto fan who regrets the Leonard trade, even though it was a rental.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

They won a championship with Leonard, no risks there.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
GAME TTTIIIMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2023, 07:35:17 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Ready to rock and roll.....
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2023, 07:36:10 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Wow, just read that Smart is out for 3-5 weeks with a left foot sprain.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2023, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Lets GO CELTICS!!!!

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2023, 07:40:06 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

They won a championship with Leonard, no risks there.

I was just using Leonard as an example of how Toronto is not a market that can attract stars easily. The one time they did trade for one, he didn't even stay even though they won a title. They lucked out with a low pick during the weird COVID restrictions season and got Barnes, but it's not clear he can be a no. 1 yet.

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2023, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Not a fan of the floor...too dark.