Author Topic: Mookie Betts agreed to 12 year/$365M deal with Dodgers  (Read 21861 times)

Re: Mookie Betts agreed to 12 year/$365M deal with Dodgers
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I can't believe the Astros are gonna come back up from an 0-3 deficit. 7-2 at the 8th inning right now

That 5th inning after Snell was pulled was a disaster for Rays. Castillo got hammered.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I can't believe the Astros are gonna come back up from an 0-3 deficit. 7-2 at the 8th inning right now

That 5th inning after Snell was pulled was a disaster for Rays. Castillo got hammered.

It's gonna be one of the biggest choke jobs since the Yankees in 2004. All momentum is with the Astros now. Hard to see Rays winning Game 7.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

It's gonna be one of the biggest choke jobs since the Yankees in 2004. All momentum is with the Astros now. Hard to see Rays winning Game 7.

Will this be the first reverse sweep since the Red Sox in 2004?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Will this be the first reverse sweep since the Red Sox in 2004?

Yup. That's been the only one so far in MLB history.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2020, 12:09:26 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m rooting for the Astros.  All that outrage over cheating was so fake or uninformed.  They didn’t gain any meaningful advantage and every team in the league was doing the same thing. Think about how many players change teams between seasons and even during a season.  I listened Remy and Eckersley explain it many times years ago when pitchers and catchers would get their signals crossed late in the game with a guy on second.  Go Astros!

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 12:11:11 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Dodgers coming in the clutch tonight. Could actually regain some momentum in this series. The MLB wants drama- Atlanta sports teams doing what they do best by blowing leads, and what better way than to have a Dodgers vs Astros World Series rematch!  :P

But I think I'm gonna have to pull for the Astros if it comes to that. I can't stand having two LA teams bringing home two championships in the same month or so.

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The average annual value of the deal Betts took with the Dodgers compared to what we rumored to offer over 10 years was roughly the same.  If Betts wasn’t willing to commit then I really don’t blame the Sox for dealing him.  If the player really wants to be here there has to be some give and take. Look at the Boagarts and Pedrioa deals that were fair to both sides. 

The Sox goal under Bloom is to have sustained success, where the backend of the Betts deal could get a little ugly and hinder them.

I agree on the AAV, but those last two years are definitely what sealed the deal for Mookie. By that point, he will almost be 40. It is pretty safe to say that if Mookie signed here on a 10 yr contract for $300M that he wouldn't be signing s 2yr/$65M contract at that point in his career.

I don't particularly have an opinion on the trade. On the surface, we dealt a top-end talent for not top-end prospects. Perhaps if we could have signed and traded Mookie (thus guaranteeing he would be in LA 'forever'), we could have received more back; but, it is what it is. I am not going to wish ill-will on him as a player - he should be excellent for at least 8 years of that contract. If he falls apart now, well, then the Sox made an excellent decision (but I don't see that happening).

I disagree on the return back.  Downs is a top 3 prospect for us, and could be an above average 2nd baseman maybe more for years to come for the Sox.   Verdugo is only a year plus removed from being a top prospect himself, and we have 4 more years of cost control with him. 2 strong years to start his career.  Wong immediately became the top catching prospect in our system.  Without having a ton of leverage I thought Bloom made out well.

Maybe I am exaggerating a little on the return, but when you trade away an MVP in his prime, you should expect to get back slam-dunk, home run top prospect(s). I am not saying we did especially poorly and these guys easily could pan out; but it was a little underwhelming at the time of the trade and I think that is mostly because Mookie was an expiring contract.

The next couple years the trade could really sting, but look at it this way.  In Verdugo’s first 644 at bats in the majors he’s hit .290 with 20 homers.  Not Mookie numbers but rock solid.  With Betts 28 and Verdugo 24 it’s not hard to imagine in 4 years when Mookie’s athleticism starts to wane that they could be pretty even players.  On top of that we have our best 2nd baseman prospect since Pedrioa (not counting Mookie when he was 2nd baseman briefly in the minors lol), and Wong is a very good power hitting catching prospect.  So as much as I like Mookie I’m satisfied with the trade.

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 11:55:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Looks like it's Rays vs Dodgers World Series.

Atlanta sports teams...known for meltdowns and blowing leads.  ::)

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Two hits, a walk, and another fantastic catch to send the Dodgers to the World Series.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Looks like it's Rays vs Dodgers World Series.

Atlanta sports teams...known for meltdowns and blowing leads.  ::)

Not great for ratings, I would imagine, because of Tampa.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I will say again: john henry should sell the team.

Trading mookie betts is a disqualifying action for any member of a team to make.

The red Sox are a joke and I hope they're terrible forever until anybody associated with that trade is gone.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Mookie 0-3 with a walk.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »

• Satch Sanders
I will say again: john henry should sell the team.

Trading mookie betts is a disqualifying action for any member of a team to make.

The red Sox are a joke and I hope they're terrible forever until anybody associated with that trade is gone.

You'll appreciate this, Pho:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30164554

— C.S. Lewis