Author Topic: Leadership  (Read 3484 times)

Leadership
« on: January 24, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
"I can do more. I will do more."

- Jaylen Brown, after his 42/9/3 performance in a loss.

How will the team respond? This kind of statement by Jaylen Brown is why I love sports and especially the Boston Celtics. A guy who is taking personal responsibility, and making it public. All the stronger a statement right now, when for media and fans he might be the only one above criticism.

That is leadership. That's what we want to hear at this crucial moment. How will the team respond when it's down?

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Re: Leadership
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:27:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That's not all he said:

“A lot of that is on me,” Brown said of the defensive effort. “I’m one of the leaders and captains on this team and I got to be a better leader on that side of the ball. I got to lead these guys defensively. We’ve got to get after teams. We have to have that villainous mentality on defense. Just really making people’s nights a living hell. I can do that and be great offensively at the same time; it just takes a level on conditioning.”

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
That's not all he said:

“A lot of that is on me,” Brown said of the defensive effort. “I’m one of the leaders and captains on this team and I got to be a better leader on that side of the ball. I got to lead these guys defensively. We’ve got to get after teams. We have to have that villainous mentality on defense. Just really making people’s nights a living hell. I can do that and be great offensively at the same time; it just takes a level on conditioning.”

Captains?? Who are the captains, and why do they have more than one captain. This team just cannot make decisions, there is no discipline, no specified roles, and from this revelation from Brown - no clearly defined leader.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think Jaylen has to be a little careful with those leadership claims. It’s possible to irk some fragile ego guys. He’s so far the best player on the team but still these claims might remind people of the claims that Kyrie made and keeps making.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
That's not all he said:

Captains?? Who are the captains, and why do they have more than one captain. This team just cannot make decisions, there is no discipline, no specified roles, and from this revelation from Brown - no clearly defined leader.
Was thinking the same thing. I bet smart and Kemba are having conversations with him.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
That's not all he said:

On my former football team we always had many players who wanted to be team captain. Eventually the coach decided to make me captain, because I was a good example with my work ethic, discipline and good behaviour (where did that go?  ;D) and the other players accepted that. It never came to him to make multiple guys captain though  ::). That would have been an easy solution to the problem  :laugh:.

So on this Celtics team Brown is a captain. Probably Smart has declared himself captain. I can't imagine Tatum not feeling like a captain. And you have Walker who's the best paid player and former All Star, so he's likely a captain as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:50:57 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think Jaylen has to be a little careful with those leadership claims. It’s possible to irk some fragile ego guys. He’s so far the best player on the team but still these claims might remind people of the claims that Kyrie made and keeps making.
Like who? Nesmith and the other first and second year players that comprise the roster? All those guys stink. I appreciate JB stepping up and putting all the blame on him but the reality is the rest of the guys should be profusely apologizing to him for having JB put them on his back to start the season. The roster has zero veteran role player presence. Same issues as the previous years. There is extreme reliance on the starters. If they struggle or are out, there is no reliable fill in. Ainge needs to add some quality depth via trade.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
That's not all he said:

On my former football team we always had many players who wanted to be team captain. Eventually the coach decided to make me captain, because I was a good example with my work ethic, discipline and good behaviour (where did that go?  ;D) and the other players accepted that. It never came to him to make multiple guys captain though  ::). That would have been an easy solution to the problem  :laugh:.

So on this Celtics team Brown is a captain. Probably Smart has declared himself captain. I can't imagine Tatum not feeling like a captain. And you have Walker who's the best paid player and former All Star, so he's likely a captain as well.

Is it possible Jaylen was just using the term generically -- as in, no official designation but he's just in an accepted leadership role.  Had he stopped at I am one of the leaders, we wouldn't be having the conversation.  By saying "captain" everyone assumes that it's a designated role.  Maybe he just put his foot in his mouth a bit there. 

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
That's not all he said:

Is it possible Jaylen was just using the term generically -- as in, no official designation but he's just in an accepted leadership role.  Had he stopped at I am one of the leaders, we wouldn't be having the conversation.  By saying "captain" everyone assumes that it's a designated role.  Maybe he just put his foot in his mouth a bit there.

That crossed my mind after I made my post..he could have meant small ‘c’ captain.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think the issue with Kyrie was "I am the leader, but all these young guys are not following me"

Jaylen is "I can and will do more to lead these guys to victory"

Honestly,  180 degree difference in where that finger is publicly pointed.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Like who? Nesmith and the other first and second year players that comprise the roster? All those guys stink. I appreciate JB stepping up and putting all the blame on him but the reality is the rest of the guys should be profusely apologizing to him for having JB put them on his back to start the season. The roster has zero veteran role player presence. Same issues as the previous years. There is extreme reliance on the starters. If they struggle or are out, there is no reliable fill in. Ainge needs to add some quality depth via trade.

KG wasn’t worried about fragile egos when he made Big Baby cry, and Jaylen shouldn’t be either. He and Tatum were drafted to be the eventual leaders of this team. Jaylen still seems young, but he is a veteran now. He’s helped lead teams to the playoffs.

Leadership should not be given. It should be earned. If he’s going to step into that role, it’s because he’s earned it.

Let the big dogs bark.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I think the issue with Kyrie was "I am the leader, but all these young guys are not following me"

Jaylen is "I can and will do more to lead these guys to victory"

Honestly,  180 degree difference in where that finger is publicly pointed.

Finally, Jaylen answered the question ‘what Brown can do for you?’

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Kemba (older than brown) and Tatum are all stars . Smart was all defense and older than brown .. those are the guys that might get irked.
Brown has not been all star or all defense. He probably will be this year.
Not saying they will have a problem with it for sure.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I think Jaylen SHOULD be the captain. Doesn’t matter if Tatum is or becomes the best player. It should be Jaylen.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
That's not all he said:

Yes. Right on. Thanks for posting this.

Team defense is the key. It’s so encouraging whenever a team’s top scorers commit themselves to leading the team defense.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:47:04 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021