Author Topic: Change my mind: Jaylen Brown is the most explosive scorer on the Celtics  (Read 3778 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You're overthinking it.  Kyrie is the best AND most explosive scorer on this team...by a lot.

Yup.
Yeah, absolutely. But I will say after him, I think Tatum and Brown are probably then the most explosive. Both have shown the explosive scoring ability to put up 10-12 points in just a 3-5 minute span. They just don't do it often enough. Kyrie does it every dang game almost.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Jaylen may have the highest ceiling on this team and yeah that includes Kyrie. He's nowhere near the player he will become! Once his fadeaway is money, and it's getting there, and he develops a better handle he may remind people a lot of Kobe. His physical gifts may be greater then Kobe's now.

I really think the Celtics have been holding him back on purpose so he doesnt develop bad habits, get injured before the playoffs, etc. We all remember the player he was in last years post season and this year he will get more time off in the playoffs meaning he won't have to carry a team as much. In two more seasons Jaylen may very well be the best player on this, or another, team.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We were better when Brown and Baynes started.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He definitely isn't yet. Kyrie routinely puts up 6-10 points unanswered
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I feel like for JB to be successful, Brad needs to set-up more plays with Brown cutting to the basket as opposed to playing outside the perimeter.

In my eyes, he's more of a Tony Allen type in that he's much productive when he's attacking the basket.

Perfect guy to have in terms of a pick and roll offense. That way, his athleticism is being maximized.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I feel like for JB to be successful, Brad needs to set-up more plays with Brown cutting to the basket as opposed to playing outside the perimeter.

In my eyes, he's more of a Tony Allen type in that he's much productive when he's attacking the basket.

Perfect guy to have in terms of a pick and roll offense. That way, his athleticism is being maximized.

I always wondered why JB and others never made much effort to cut to the basket, especially backdoor, but then I realized it is because we are trying keep the lane open for Kyrie. I realized it when thinking about why AB cut down on it, had to keep it open for IT4. AB was pretty good at it b4 that time. I'm always waiting on the guys to cut. smart seems to be doing it more this season, especially since starting.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Jaylen may have the highest ceiling on this team and yeah that includes Kyrie. He's nowhere near the player he will become! Once his fadeaway is money, and it's getting there, and he develops a better handle he may remind people a lot of Kobe. His physical gifts may be greater then Kobe's now.

I really think the Celtics have been holding him back on purpose so he doesnt develop bad habits, get injured before the playoffs, etc. We all remember the player he was in last years post season and this year he will get more time off in the playoffs meaning he won't have to carry a team as much. In two more seasons Jaylen may very well be the best player on this, or another, team.

Who knows. I just think the kid is going to be a hell of a two-way player. Earlier in the season he just went to p--- on defense but lately he has been putting the clamps down under the radar. I really believe he has elite defender in him but it's up to him to keep his effort and intensity up. He put the clamps on KD AGAIN and many of the guys he's faced lately, his D has been game changing and no one even notices it or at least they don't say it. KD wants no part of JB when we see them in the finals. JB seems to be one of, if not the best, KD defenders these last couple seasons.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Who knows. I just think the kid is going to be a hell of a two-way player. Earlier in the season he just went to p--- on defense but lately he has been putting the clamps down under the radar. I really believe he has elite defender in him but it's up to him to keep his effort and intensity up. He put the clamps on KD AGAIN and many of the guys he's faced lately, his D has been game changing and no one even notices it or at least they don't say it. KD wants no part of JB when we see them in the finals. JB seems to be one of, if not the best, KD defenders these last couple seasons.

All facts.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Did seem that way at times in the MIL series last year.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Let's not do to Tatum what many have done to Brown this season - that being to start dismissing his talent and potential because he is not playing quite as well right now. I think Tatum has been heavily impacted by the Davis trade talk and the Kyrie ball dominance. I don't happen to think the time spent with Kobe Bryant this summer was a good idea at all, either. Tatum's focus has not been there lately and it has hurt his defensive intensity and his offensive rhythm. Not sure he is fully invested emotionally or in sync with the teams' current offensive style. This is a big part of my concern with the team's direction - we end up hurting the confidence and loyalty of this great young core the Celts have put together, all in the pursuit of the Irving-Davis dream that Danny seems so infatuated with.

Everyone is in love with Brown and Smart right now and many have started almost dismissing Jayson Tatum, who last year was seen as the future of the franchise.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Let's not do to Tatum what many have done to Brown this season - that being to start dismissing his talent and potential because he is not playing quite as well right now. I think Tatum has been heavily impacted by the Davis trade talk and the Kyrie ball dominance. I don't happen to think the time spent with Kobe Bryant this summer was a good idea at all, either. Tatum's focus has not been there lately and it has hurt his defensive intensity and his offensive rhythm. Not sure he is fully invested emotionally or in sync with the teams' current offensive style. This is a big part of my concern with the team's direction - we end up hurting the confidence and loyalty of this great young core the Celts have put together, all in the pursuit of the Irving-Davis dream that Danny seems so infatuated with.

Everyone is in love with Brown and Smart right now and many have started almost dismissing Jayson Tatum, who last year was seen as the future of the franchise.

I don't  dismiss Tatum at all -- he's a great young player.  But lately, as in the least 3 months, Jaylen has emerged as an impact player on both sides of the ball.   I find it very frustrating at this point that he isn't starting.  He's averaging 27 minutes a game in March (minutes are up) -- but he should be getting 32-34.   Start him.

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

I don't  dismiss Tatum at all -- he's a great young player.  But lately, as in the least 3 months, Jaylen has emerged as an impact player on both sides of the ball.   I find it very frustrating at this point that he isn't starting.  He's averaging 27 minutes a game in March (minutes are up) -- but he should be getting 32-34.   Start him.

Brown doesn't need to start right now.
I don't see the point in changing player's roles right when the team is starting to get it's act together. Stevens has made an adjustment regarding Brown. Brown is almost always on the floor at the end of games. Particularly close games. Brown has earned that. Look for him to start next season.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Absolutely - I'm in complete agreement about Brown and have been very happy to see his return to form. I would like very much to see him and Tatum spend their careers in green as the two big wings that carry the Celts to some titles over the next decade. A little how Bird and Max started out, though I obviously don't anticipate them ever reaching the level of Larry Bird. And Cedric Maxwell is still one of my favorite Celtics.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Absolutely - I'm in complete agreement about Brown and have been very happy to see his return to form. I would like very much to see him and Tatum spend their careers in green as the two big wings that carry the Celts to some titles over the next decade. A little how Bird and Max started out, though I obviously don't anticipate them ever reaching the level of Larry Bird. And Cedric Maxwell is still one of my favorite Celtics.
Cornbread was that first real good young players Red got after the Cowens-Hondo-JoJo run in the mid 70s. I loved Max.