Author Topic: Why is Doc putting the Jet in the starting lineup?  (Read 7826 times)

Re: Why is Doc putting the Jet in the starting lineup?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
As others have said, he's just playing around with different lineups.

That said, Doc did touch on the fact that it'd be an option to start Terry, play him 5 minutes along with KG, pull him for a few minutes, and then bring the two of them back in at the end of the first quarter. 

And that type of minute rotation would have the same effect as bringing Terry off the bench.  It'd also allow Terry to play SG to start the game, bring in Lee for him, and then have Terry come back in for Rondo at the end of the first. 

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If he's the primary backup for both spots in the short term then you can't sub Lee and Rondo at the same time.
Yeah but that doesn't matter, so what are the advantages?

Rondo/Terry
Rondo/Lee
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

or

Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

Either way we end the game with Terry, however the latter gives more even rest (Lee doesn't have to play 15min straight) and allows Terry to get into a little more rhythm. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If he's the primary backup for both spots in the short term then you can't sub Lee and Rondo at the same time.

Rondo/Terry
Rondo/Lee
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

or

Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

Either way we end the game with Terry, however the latter gives more even rest (Lee doesn't have to play 15min straight) and allows Terry to get into a little more rhythm.

One's almost the same as the other. Doc was talking about using Terry like KG, I was guessing about how the substitution patterns would work if he did. There's nothing wrong with your rotations, but they don't really fit with what Doc would do if he was starting Terry.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I must have missed it but why is Terry getting pushed into the starting lineup? I thought bringing him in was for his offense and to solidify our non existent bench from previous years. It's also where he's most comfortable at and where he thrives.

I want to be quicker and younger NOT see the Jet playing Ray Allen's role running off hundreds of screens.

God have you ever watched Celtic basketball before? JET is clutch - he can hit BIG shots when it MATTERS. Ray went to the bench but he was still "the guy" during the final 4-5 minutes. Read the most recent CB post...........

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Rondo/Terry
Rondo/Lee
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

or

Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

One's almost the same as the other. Doc was talking about using Terry like KG, I was guessing about how the substitution patterns would work if he did. There's nothing wrong with your rotations, but they don't really fit with what Doc would do if he was starting Terry.
No?

Rondo/Terry 5min
Rondo/Lee
Terry 5min/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry 5min

I thought that was KG's exact pattern, and word for word what you stated earlier.  "The article talks about a 5-5-5 plan, which makes sense. Start the game, Lee comes in for Terry, after a rest Terry spells Rondo, after another rest Terry goes back in for Lee."  You just left out Lee coming in.

The second option is the only other way to do a 3 man rotation with 4 substitutions.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Doc os like a kid  with a lot of new toys and he is just giddy to experiment and play with all of them. I bet he wished he could play all of them together..

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
A friend of mine suggested this, and I really hope it's not true...

JET and Sully have more, for lack of a better term, "sex appeal" than do Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass. Lee is stil clearly a role player, and Bass, while effective, is fairly boring to watch. JET, on the other hand, is a fierce competitor and clutch shot maker, and Sully is the (to combine metaphors) fountain of untapped potential.

I'm really hoping Doc isn't opting to go with the more exciting players, when really what's best for the team is to go with Lee and Bass and have JET and Sully come off the bench. Then again, it seems very unlike Doc to do that.

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think, one Avery Bradley returns, he wants his bench to be Jason Terry - Courtney Lee - Jeff Green - Brandon Bass - Darko

I agree with Sullinger being in the starting lineup because that allows KG, Pierce, and Rondo to make up for some of Sully's wetness behind the ears.

I don't agree with Terry being in the starting lineup though, he is a guy that the bench needs as it's leader for all 82 games. Him and Jeff Green are those tone setters, guys with serious starting skill that can come off the bench and kill the other team. Hopefully Doc is just starting Jet so that he can build some chemistry with the starting lineup for when he has to play big minutes and close with them later on.

But , as has been pointed out a few time this training camp, Doc is switching the line up's around all the time because he basically wants everybody to be able to play with everybody.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
doesnt matter who starts, only who finishes. The team knows that.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo/Terry
Rondo/Lee
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

or

Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry
Terry/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry

No?

Rondo/Terry 5min
Rondo/Lee
Terry 5min/Lee
Rondo/Lee
Rondo/Terry 5min

I thought that was KG's exact pattern, and word for word what you stated earlier.  "The article talks about a 5-5-5 plan, which makes sense. Start the game, Lee comes in for Terry, after a rest Terry spells Rondo, after another rest Terry goes back in for Lee."  You just left out Lee coming in.

The second option is the only other way to do a 3 man rotation with 4 substitutions.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. The first of your 2 lineups is what I was describing. I thought your post was about why the second pattern is better, and I was mentioning that it doesn't fit with the "start Terry" theme.

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think, one Avery Bradley returns, he wants his bench to be Jason Terry - Courtney Lee - Jeff Green - Brandon Bass - Darko

I agree with Sullinger being in the starting lineup because that allows KG, Pierce, and Rondo to make up for some of Sully's wetness behind the ears.

I don't agree with Terry being in the starting lineup though, he is a guy that the bench needs as it's leader for all 82 games. Him and Jeff Green are those tone setters, guys with serious starting skill that can come off the bench and kill the other team. Hopefully Doc is just starting Jet so that he can build some chemistry with the starting lineup for when he has to play big minutes and close with them later on.

But , as has been pointed out a few time this training camp, Doc is switching the line up's around all the time because he basically wants everybody to be able to play with everybody.

Agree 100%

The Bass vs Sully is a discussions of its own (personally, I think Sully should start with Bass off the bench - Bass' pick & pop game would be a good offensive boost with JET). But I prefer Lee over JET as a starter - not because I think Lee is better, but because I think we've been so starved for consistent, offensively competent bench that signing JET was a relief to all the fans. I like what we've seen from Jeff so far, but JET is a proven sixth man that not only thrives in the role, but wholeheartedly embraces it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Agree 100%

The Bass vs Sully is a discussions of its own (personally, I think Sully should start with Bass off the bench - Bass' pick & pop game would be a good offensive boost with JET). But I prefer Lee over JET as a starter - not because I think Lee is better, but because I think we've been so starved for consistent, offensively competent bench that signing JET was a relief to all the fans. I like what we've seen from Jeff so far, but JET is a proven sixth man that not only thrives in the role, but wholeheartedly embraces it.
I agree completely with both of you just hope it all plays out this way. 
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Let's keep in mind that it's not so much about who starts and who comes off the bench as it is about how minutes are rotated.  KG's 5-5-5-5 plan essentially has him function as a bench boost for us as he's coming back into the game when the other starters are coming out. 

Terry certainly could be used like that as a starter and Doc has suggested it.