Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238744 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1680 on: April 13, 2019, 03:40:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don’t see as much potential in him as everybody else, really.  I think he’s a roleplayer at best.  Lacks the ball skills to be more.  But that’s fine... not everybody has to be a star. 

You can take the skillset he already has and mold it into a rotation-worthy player, provided that he makes significant strides in his understanding of the system.  Good shotblocker, solid rebounder, solid finisher on offense, willing passer.  If he learns to use what he has then he’s a valuable piece, even if he doesn’t really have more than roleplayer upside.

I think his ceiling would be as a Clint Capela type player which, if he gets there, would be a pretty decent career.
Clint Capela has been a really solid big over the last 2 seasons. 15/12/1.7 with 65% from the field. If RW could average half those scoring & rebounding numbers off the bench with elite ring protection I'd be happy

I can almost guarantee he would do that on another team...but maybe not 15 points a game.  8-12 points, 8 rebounds and 3-4 blocks easy.

The problem is those things aren't important in Brad's system unless it's a wing going against another wing. Then he thinks it's oh-so-great.

I've always been a wing, but I can tell you right now you can't win without rebounding and defense from bigs.

Don't even know what they're thinking.

The leading shot blocker this year was Myles Turner, with 199 for the season (2.7 per game). You think Robert Williams would "easily" average significantly more than that?

I'd also lean toward Danny/Brad's expertise on what roles you need bigs to play in the modern NBA over yours
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1681 on: April 13, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don’t see as much potential in him as everybody else, really.  I think he’s a roleplayer at best.  Lacks the ball skills to be more.  But that’s fine... not everybody has to be a star. 

You can take the skillset he already has and mold it into a rotation-worthy player, provided that he makes significant strides in his understanding of the system.  Good shotblocker, solid rebounder, solid finisher on offense, willing passer.  If he learns to use what he has then he’s a valuable piece, even if he doesn’t really have more than roleplayer upside.

I think his ceiling would be as a Clint Capela type player which, if he gets there, would be a pretty decent career.
Clint Capela has been a really solid big over the last 2 seasons. 15/12/1.7 with 65% from the field. If RW could average half those scoring & rebounding numbers off the bench with elite ring protection I'd be happy

I can almost guarantee he would do that on another team...but maybe not 15 points a game.  8-12 points, 8 rebounds and 3-4 blocks easy.

The problem is those things aren't important in Brad's system unless it's a wing going against another wing. Then he thinks it's oh-so-great.

I've always been a wing, but I can tell you right now you can't win without rebounding and defense from bigs.

The leading shot blocker this year was Myles Turner, with 199 for the season (2.7 per game). You think Robert Williams would "easily" average significantly more than that?

I'd also lean toward Danny/Brad's expertise on what roles you need bigs to play in the modern NBA over yours

On another team sure he would. In what...6 years everyone has seen what Brad gets out of bigs, and in that time his most productive one was a fat guy...because of his OWN skill level at that.

Modern NBA? Come on man...there's nothing great about these teams and Golden state is the only team that stands out.  I don't see them getting by the 90's Knicks, who everyone says couldn't score but was kinda bs, and I hated that team.  The Jazz, Rockets, Spurs, Sonics, Kobe-Shaq Lakers, and even the Mark price-Brad daugherty Cavs I don't see them getting by. Or the Bird coached Pacers.

I'll leave the Bulls, Pistons, Celts, Sixers, and Magic led Lakers out...cause seriously if you argue any of them, I don't want no parts of that  :)

« Reply #1682 on: April 13, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

we might also want to consider the possibility that TL just really isnt ready for a lot of prime-time nba minutes. his offense is still very raw. his defense is consistent. he has trouble following the defensive schemes at times.

i just dont think it would help the celtics if he played even 10 to 12 minutes each night. but give him a year or three and i think he might begin to reach the hopes being discussed here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1683 on: April 13, 2019, 04:25:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

On another team sure he would. In what...6 years everyone has seen what Brad gets out of bigs, and in that time his most productive one was a fat guy...because of his OWN skill level at that.

Modern NBA? Come on man...there's nothing great about these teams and Golden state is the only team that stands out.  I don't see them getting by the 90's Knicks, who everyone says couldn't score but was kinda bs, and I hated that team.  The Jazz, Rockets, Spurs, Sonics, Kobe-Shaq Lakers, and even the Mark price-Brad daugherty Cavs I don't see them getting by. Or the Bird coached Pacers.

I'll leave the Bulls, Pistons, Celts, Sixers, and Magic led Lakers out...cause seriously if you argue any of them, I don't want no parts of that  :)
bitter jim brought up a legitimate point about your "guarantee" that TL would average 3 to 4 blocks a game. that was a very questionable number you put out there. what was your basis for it other than a hope?

your reply ignored his point and simply changed the topic. please address bitterjim's point on the number of blocks so as to continue the conversation in a coherent way.

thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1684 on: April 13, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

bitter jim brought up a legitimate point about your "guarantee" that TL would average 3 to 4 blocks a game. that was a very questionable number you put out there. what was your basis for it other than a hope?

your reply ignored his point and simply changed the topic. please address bitterjim's point on the number of blocks so as to continue the conversation in a coherent way.

thanks.

Because that's simply how he plays, and his first instinct. The only way he knows how to play. There's no way his numbers don't go up with more playing time.

« Reply #1685 on: April 13, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

thanks.

Because that's simply how he plays, and his first instinct. The only way he knows how to play. There's no way his numbers don't go up with more playing time.

What is Myles Turner, chopped liver? Suggesting that ANYONE (never mind a raw rookie like Williams) could "easily" average 3-4 blocks is about as crazy as triboy16f's suggestion a couple months ago that Kyrie should average 15 assists per game
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1686 on: April 13, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
For more context on how tough it is to get even 3 blocks per game, since the Celtics won in 2008 there have been only 3 instances of someone averaging 3+ blocks per game (minimum 60 games): Serge Ibaka in 2012 and 2013, and Hassan Whiteside in 2016. Expecting Williams to do that "easily" is just ridiculous
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1687 on: April 13, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

thanks.

What is Myles Turner, chopped liver? Suggesting that ANYONE (never mind a raw rookie like Williams) could "easily" average 3-4 blocks is about as crazy as triboy16f's suggestion a couple months ago that Kyrie should average 15 assists per game

I think Kyrie should average atleast 12, and it's why he gets on my nerves

« Reply #1688 on: April 13, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
For more context on how tough it is to get even 3 blocks per game, since the Celtics won in 2008 there have been only 3 instances of someone averaging 3+ blocks per game (minimum 60 games): Serge Ibaka in 2012 and 2013, and Hassan Whiteside in 2016. Expecting Williams to do that "easily" is just ridiculous
I guess you have never seen Williams plays, it will be easy for him to get 3-4 block per game if he want to

« Reply #1689 on: April 13, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

thanks.

12 assists per game is still a ridiculous expectation (although it has at least been done before, unlike 15 assists per game). The last person to do that was John Stockton 24 years ago (when Kyrie was 3 years old). Even 11 is a bit crazy, with only 6 instances of it in the last 10 years (by pass-heavy guards like Rondo, Nash, and Chris Paul, plus once by James Harden in 2017)

People here tend to greatly underestimate how rare/difficult it actually is to average these lofty numbers for an entire season
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1690 on: April 13, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My lord, some of these takes. If it was so easy to average 12 assists per game do you not think that Westbrook, or Simmons, or Rondo in his prime would’ve done so?

Can anyone who thinks RWill can average 3-4 BPG care to explain why better shot-blockers - who are considerably less foul-prone than Williams - such as AD have never averaged 3+?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1691 on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

thanks.

12 assists per game is still a ridiculous expectation (although it has at least been done before, unlike 15 assists per game). The last person to do that was John Stockton 24 years ago (when Kyrie was 3 years old). Even 11 is a bit crazy, with only 6 instances of it in the last 10 years (by pass-heavy guards like Rondo, Nash, and Chris Paul, plus once by James Harden in 2017)

People here tend to greatly underestimate how rare/difficult it actually is to average these lofty numbers for an entire season
Why the hell would Kyrie average 11 assists?  He's by far our best offensive player.  You don't want that guy passing.  Steph Curry has 150x more talent on his team and he only averages 5 assists.   Kyrie should actually average less assists and take more shots than he does.

« Reply #1692 on: April 14, 2019, 01:32:55 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wilt once blocked 25 shots in one game.

« Reply #1693 on: April 14, 2019, 02:01:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wilt once blocked 25 shots in one game.
Wilt is also perhaps the most freakish athlete in sporting history
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1694 on: April 14, 2019, 02:03:11 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
My lord, some of these takes. If it was so easy to average 12 assists per game do you not think that Westbrook, or Simmons, or Rondo in his prime would’ve done so?

Can anyone who thinks RWill can average 3-4 BPG care to explain why better shot-blockers - who are considerably less foul-prone than Williams - such as AD have never averaged 3+?
You didn't watch games when Williams first meet with AD? hint:one blocks another twice
Williams is clear a better shot blocker the AD