Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238919 times)

Re: Robert put on a clinic
« Reply #1830 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TIMELORDS passing looked good last year in limited minutes. I mentioned it serval times in game threads. He has basketball skills. His shooting is the one that needs the most work.

I think with his elite passing skills, as long as he attacks the boards, we don't need to worry about his shooting. I don't expect he will ever become a good outside shooter, and that's okay.
His form on the mid-range shot is okay, just not falling for him yet but yeah, he's not likely to ever shoot the 3.

Re: Robert put on a clinic
« Reply #1831 on: July 12, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
TIMELORDS passing looked good last year in limited minutes. I mentioned it serval times in game threads. He has basketball skills. His shooting is the one that needs the most work.

I think with his elite passing skills, as long as he attacks the boards, we don't need to worry about his shooting. I don't expect he will ever become a good outside shooter, and that's okay.
His form on the mid-range shot is okay, just not falling for him yet but yeah, he's not likely to ever shoot the 3.

Never say never as long as he's on a Brad Stevens team.

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1832 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just saw a replay of that Memphis game, and Robert looked the best I've seen him. He's filling out, stronger, faster and is quite a good passer. Looked like a leader on the court. He looks like he will play significant minutes this year. I still think he's setting too many picks outside, and leaving himself out of position for a rebound. But that's their style.

Perhaps having him and Tacko in the game at once might result in one of them playing closer to the basket, and one back  to cover for defense. I noticed Ainge sat next to Tacko a good part of the 2nd half. Both he and Robert had their best games so far. Both shot 75%, and you can't beat that with 3P shooting. You have to create offense for guys who can get easy shots like that.

« Reply #1833 on: July 12, 2019, 07:04:13 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Robert was training before Summer League and working on conditioning.The work starts after Summer League up until training camp..Confidence and aggression.
Why rush Robert?  Yesterday he put it all together for the first time.Things looked easy .The day he jumped the passing lane knocked the ball skidding over half court scooped it up on the run and drove the paint into a euro step
.Let the game slow down for him ,let him realize that position and the threat of being a shot blocker is more important the a spike into the crowd Rebounding with a quick outlet pass gets the team in transition.He has been boxing out and finding his way.
When everything is in sync with lobs on target, it is so effortless .
 But when he is being hit with bailout passes at the knees too deep under basket, he has to practice patience and have a move and counter move.
He attacked a closeout and drove the paint that was new.
The ball movement improved 100% with him facilitating and zipping passes. on target in rhythm
That was fun.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:13:17 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1834 on: July 12, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Robert was training before Summer League and working on conditioning.The work starts after Summer League up until training camp..Confidence and aggression.
Why rush Robert  yesterday he put it all together for the first time.Things looked easy it was like when your so first learns to ride a bike.The day he jumped the passing lane knocked the ball skidding over half court scooped it up on the run  drove the paint into a euro step.Let the game slow down for him ,let him realize that position and the threat of being a shot blocker Rebounding with a quick outlet pass gets the team in transition.He has been boxing out and finding his way .When everything is in sync with the lobs for slams it is so effortless .He is being hit with bailout passes too deep under basket and has to practice patience and have a move and counter move.
He attacked a closeout and drove the paint that was new.
The ball movement improved 100% with him facilitating and zipping passes. on target in rhythm
That was fun.

He stayed down on defense much better as well. It really helps if he can stay down and pick his spots for blocks.

« Reply #1835 on: July 12, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t think this guy is a good defender, at least not yet. Still seems like a massive project. He can block shots and that pretty much it. It looks like he has zero defensive awareness/IQ.

I will say that his passing has pleasantly surprised me during summer league.

« Reply #1836 on: July 12, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don’t think this guy is a good defender, at least not yet. Still seems like a massive project. He can block shots and that pretty much it. It looks like he has zero defensive awareness/IQ.

Did you watch the game last night? Doesn't sound like it.

« Reply #1837 on: July 12, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »

Offline CelticSince

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0

Did you ever see his play?

« Reply #1838 on: November 17, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Brad Stevens said Timelord will play today  :D

« Reply #1839 on: November 23, 2019, 09:00:09 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just wanted to bump this thread.  vs. Denver:  4 pts on 2-2 shooting, 4 rbs, 2 blocks, and +2 in 15 minutes.  Covering Jokic was no easy task but I thought RWIII did well on that end.  He seems to be improving a little bit every game.

« Reply #1840 on: November 23, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Just wanted to bump this thread.  vs. Denver:  4 pts on 2-2 shooting, 4 rbs, 2 blocks, and +2 in 15 minutes.  Covering Jokic was no easy task but I thought RWIII did well on that end.  He seems to be improving a little bit every game.

Another area to watch is steals.

The best stat I know of for steals is steal%, for which he leads the team. (He also leads the team in steals per 36 and steals per 100 possessions).

Predictions that he’ll spend more time in the G-League than the NBA have not been borne out. In fact, he’s been a rotation player from game 1.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #1841 on: November 23, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Timelord was a part of that Smart/Wanamaker/Brown/Williams/Williams unit that completely shut down Denver to start the fourth and get the 13 point lead down to two. The defense was absolutely beautiful to watch. That group smothered Denver and the Nuggets had no answer until Stevens had to pull that unit because both Williams's looked gassed and he had to get Tatum back in.

It's unfortunate that the worst play in the fourth was Robert leaving that guy in the corner wide open for three because it illustrates, and Brown and Tatum still go through this, how you can't just have brain farts and get lazy or caught looking or whatever. You have to bring it every minute, every play because in a close game.....every play matters.

« Reply #1842 on: November 23, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The best stat I know of for steals is steal%, for which he leads the team. (He also leads the team in steals per 36 and steals per 100 possessions).

Predictions that he’ll spend more time in the G-League than the NBA have not been borne out. In fact, he’s been a rotation player from game 1.
Yup. I will happily admit I was dead and completely wrong about that. Yes, he showed hints in SL and preseason, but I was judging him on how slow his growth was from his freshman year at A&M through to the end of last year and he barely grew his game.

Sometimes guys take a while but Robert took a very large leap forward. I expected this next year with this being a learning year. I was a year off. Next year he is this team's starting center, so I don't think we see a trade for a starting quality big this year.

« Reply #1843 on: November 23, 2019, 12:40:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yup. I will happily admit I was dead and completely wrong about that. Yes, he showed hints in SL and preseason, but I was judging him on how slow his growth was from his freshman year at A&M through to the end of last year and he barely grew his game.

Sometimes guys take a while but Robert took a very large leap forward. I expected this next year with this being a learning year. I was a year off. Next year he is this team's starting center, so I don't think we see a trade for a starting quality big this year.

Definitely looking way more comfortable and assertive out there. 
Yup

« Reply #1844 on: November 23, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
On four consecutive possessions (I think)

1. doubled Barton with Smart in the corner. Barton throws it off Smart out of bounds.
2. Almost gets a steal, but goes out of bounds.
3. Gets a steal. Rolls ball ahead to Green for a fast break layup.
4. Blocks Jokic.