Author Topic: Pleasant Surprises  (Read 6018 times)

Pleasant Surprises
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Piggy backing off of Redz's of the flops of the first week.  Who have been the pleasant surprises getting off to good starts the first week of the season.

My choice is Jason Thompson in Sacramento.  Most people won't notice because the Kings are struggling, but going to a MAAC school I make sure to follow how he's doing.  So far through 4 games he's averaging 14 and 7.  Could he be the next Rik Smits? Or maybe even better?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Pleasant Surprises
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Marc Gasol.  I don't think anybody thought he'd be *this* good so soon.

Willie Green.

Marquis Daniels.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Biedrins.  17.5 and 14.5.

Nice to see him get minutes.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Danny Granger: 26.5PPG 2.5BPG 4RPG sure looked good against us.

Udonis Haslem 17.7PPG and 7.7RPG

Darrell Arthur, the rookie in Memphis, looked great the first two games though more down to earth his last two for the NBA JV Grizzlies.

Mario Chalmers in Miami has been pretty decent at like 8.7PPG and 6APG.

Then there's this guy in Minnesota, you may have heard of him, Al Jefferson who is once again putting up 20 and 12 a night with 1.3 BPG.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Ahem!  I know of one person who was pretty hot to trot about Gasol ;D
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Piggy backing off of Redz's of the flops of the first week.  Who have been the pleasant surprises getting off to good starts the first week of the season.

My choice is Jason Thompson in Sacramento.  Most people won't notice because the Kings are struggling, but going to a MAAC school I make sure to follow how he's doing.  So far through 4 games he's averaging 14 and 7.  Could he be the next Rik Smits? Or maybe even better?

There's only one Flying Dutchman!
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Based on what I saw in preseason I wouldn't have thought Quentin Richardson was capable of throwing in 28.

James Posey 13 ppg and 10 3's in 3 games  :'(
Yup

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Marc was a stiff with limited NBA potential just 18 months ago. His progress since then is simply amazing. Four years ago he wasn't even good enough to get a scholarship from a Div 1 college (just imagine what European coaches will do for Brandon Jennings  :P). Even after his last season, I thought his ceiling would be modest starter/good backup. Now, if someone suggests that he's winning the MVP award next season, I'll opt for a cautious silence, all my predictions about this guy failed by a gigantic margin.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Walter Herman has been a bit of a surprise to me. 10pt 4rb 2ast.
I am actually surprised with his production playing for detroit with about 14min give or take a game.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136

Marc was a stiff with limited NBA potential just 18 months ago. His progress since then is simply amazing. Four years ago he wasn't even good enough to get a scholarship from a Div 1 college (just imagine what European coaches will do for Brandon Jennings  :P). Even after his last season, I thought his ceiling would be modest starter/good backup. Now, if someone suggests that he's winning the MVP award next season, I'll opt for a cautious silence, all my predictions about this guy failed by a gigantic margin.

I didn't believe he would be that good either. I have had the chance to watch a lot of his games in the Spanish league and he looked slow and raw. He has lost much weight, but he has simply become much more intelligent and skilled. He will definitely be a good C in this league

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Sticking with Sacramento, how about my favorite fantasy sleeper, Spencer Hawes.  Through the first 4 games he is averaging 12.5 points, 9.3 boards, and 2.3 blocks.  Considering he is still growing into his body, I think this kid has a heck of a bright future.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Darrell Arthur has also looked really good so far.  It is not a big surprise to those who saw him play in college (he looked like a David West Clone), but to be averaging 6 points, 8 boards, and a block this early in the season is not bad considering how far he dropped in the draft.  If only he could have dropped just a little further...

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Darrell Arthur has also looked really good so far.  It is not a big surprise to those who saw him play in college (he looked like a David West Clone), but to be averaging 6 points, 8 boards, and a block this early in the season is not bad considering how far he dropped in the draft.  If only he could have dropped just a little further...

I love Arthur. Got him in the second round of Lucky's H2H Draft.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I didn't believe he would be that good either. I have had the chance to watch a lot of his games in the Spanish league and he looked slow and raw. He has lost much weight, but he has simply become much more intelligent and skilled. He will definitely be a good C in this league

he will touch his rookie celing soon... :'(
when my team face redzs...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!